Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Number plate lamp replacement?

Views : 502

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2024, 22:41   #1
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

Default Number plate lamp replacement?

Hi folks,

I'm staring down an MOT in a couple of weeks and the offside numberplate lamp is dead. That particular one seems to be sensitive and blows more frequently than its nearside friend however when I tried to replace it this time one screw sheared off and the other's head is completely stripped.

Any tips for replacing any of these assemblies? Am I likely to need to remove the whole tailgate latch assembly to get at this sheared screw or can just the light fitting be extracted from inside?

Any tips appreciated!
James

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23
James_EG_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 23:53   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Saloon or estate?

Early or late style?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 16:58   #3
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

Hi Dai,

It's the early style tailgate latch, estate.

Cheers,
James

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 00:38   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

A technique that has worked well for me with seized number plate screws is to drill the head off the screw, remove the number plate and then grab the stub with good quality pliers to unscrew it. I usually use a left-handed drill from a screw removal set in the hope that any movement will help to undo the screw.

There is a risk this will damage the by now fragile lamp cover, so probably worth sourcing a couple of spares. Volvo p/n 1321984 and still available the last time I needed one.

I usually replace these sort of screws with stainless steel equivalents to avoid future problems. You will need to measure the original carefully to match length, gauge, type and head size.
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 14:39   #5
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

Thanks Forrest,

I was half hoping there would be some neat trick where I could remove the holder from the inside and could then attempt to get the remnants of the screws out from the comfort of a workbench - perhaps not!

I see that Skandix have the lens/covers in stock and I need to place an order with them anyway for a couple of replacement seatbelt release buttons. Failing that will give FRF a call.

Weirdly the nearside screws are still nice and shiny and a dream to put in and take out, just the offside ones that have rusted away. That offside lamp always blows and the nearside one lasts for ages, so I suspect water ingress or something on that side!

Old Jan 9th, 2024, 16:14   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

I don’t think so. Removing the tailgate trim is not particularly easy and is likely to snap some plastic clips. I don’t think the access you’d achieve would make your suggestion viable. I think it might be the wire for one of these lights you can see through the small, partially obscured hole on the very left edge of this picture. Not really enough room to work seized screws out from behind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0224.jpg (59.0 KB, 13 views)
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 12:08   #7
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

Well, I drilled the remaining screw head off and didn't destroy the lens - bonus!

Now to try and get the remaining rusty shafts out... From the parts diagram it looks like they are just self tappers into plastic? It does look like the assembly is only held on with a couple of bolts though, so apart from getting the trim off (I actually have one of the tailgate trim repair kits from PFV sitting around somewhere) it might be easy enough to get to the back side of the screws.

At least with both lamps now working it should get through next week's MOT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg numberplate light.jpg (329.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg volvo_940_tailgate_latch.jpg (180.6 KB, 8 views)

Old Jan 16th, 2024, 20:23   #8
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_EG_940 View Post
Well, I drilled the remaining screw head off and didn't destroy the lens - bonus!

Now to try and get the remaining rusty shafts out... From the parts diagram it looks like they are just self tappers into plastic? It does look like the assembly is only held on with a couple of bolts though, so apart from getting the trim off (I actually have one of the tailgate trim repair kits from PFV sitting around somewhere) it might be easy enough to get to the back side of the screws.

At least with both lamps now working it should get through next week's MOT!
Good work

I hate to break it to you, but technically, it should pass with only one of two lamps working...

Quote:

Defect:

(b) A rear registration plate lamp or light source missing or inoperative:
(i) when rear registration plate has 2 or more lamps or light sources - Minor
(ii) when rear registration plate has only one lamp or all lamps not working - Major
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 00:07   #9
Forrest
VOC Member

Well done!

The side I'm guessing you drilled looks like it's got a nice stub to grab hold of. I think, from memory, they are self-tappers.

My favourite tool for getting screw stubs like that out is one of these, but any decent quality pliers should work provided you can get a firm grip and persuade it to turn rather than slip in the jaws.

https://www.knipex.com/products/pipe...a-slim/8751250

The other side looks more problematic and might need the stub drilling out. If you end up with the hole too loose for the correct size of self-tapper you might be able to put some glue or sealant in the hole to restore it or see if there is any potential to use a small rivnut and machine screw. The latter method can work well where holes in metal have deformed beyond using a self-tapping screw but might be ambitious in plastic.