Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CoC without emission values?

Views : 706

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2024, 19:08   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default CoC without emission values?

I know the emissions are supposed to be 244g/km. But my car's coc does not contain this value. The section is blank.

Did that ever happened to anyone else?
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 19:29   #2
SalvadorP
Master Member

Is this normal or should it be considered incomplete?

Old Jan 24th, 2024, 22:07   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

I suspect relatively few members on here have had much dealings with certificates of conformity, leave alone understand the intricacies of the hundred or so fields the eurocrats have dreamed up.

If you're referring to the carbon dioxide emissions and fuel consumption then remember that it is a relatively modern thing to fret about these. Back when these cars were produced and the Euro 1 and Euro 2 standards were coming in the political trend was to want cars to have catalytic converters which increased fuel consumption in order slightly to decrease some of the more noxious emissions.

I think they only started to standardise how they measured carbon dioxide emissions from 2017. So you may well find this is an optional field on the CoC for older cars.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 22:24   #4
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I suspect relatively few members on here have had much dealings with certificates of conformity, leave alone understand the intricacies of the hundred or so fields the eurocrats have dreamed up.

If you're referring to the carbon dioxide emissions and fuel consumption then remember that it is a relatively modern thing to fret about these. Back when these cars were produced and the Euro 1 and Euro 2 standards were coming in the political trend was to want cars to have catalytic converters which increased fuel consumption in order slightly to decrease some of the more noxious emissions.

I think they only started to standardise how they measured carbon dioxide emissions from 2017. So you may well find this is an optional field on the CoC for older cars.
There is no mention of any emissions other than the bit I posted. (EDIT: forget this phrase. I misinterpreted what you said about it being an optional field in some coc's)
The paperwork requires the emission values to be on the certificate of conformity you present. Otherwise, i will have used the measurements from the inspection. But I'm still not clear if this is measured in the normal inspection, or if I will have to pay extra for that. Either way, searching online, I can only find 2 different scenarios. Case 1: There is emission values on the coc. Case 2: There is no coc.
The latter means the car is not homologated and you need to go through a more involved and costly process.

I really don't want to have to deal with the company that made the coc ever again, but tomorrow I will call Volvo and see what they say. What a nightmare.

In my view, if this crap serves to ensure the car complies with EC norms and regulations, how the hell can it not have emission values!?

I'm hopeful this is a simple mistake from the company that emitted the coc. But knowing how aweful they are, I know it's gonna be hard to solve either way.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jan 24th, 2024 at 22:26.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 00:21   #5
Forrest
VOC Member

I don't know if it's of any help, but oddly, HM Government Foreign and Commonwealth Office provides a brief guide to importing a car into Portugal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-into-portugal

This implies that the main reason you might need the CoC is to prove the CO2 emissions; which your CoC appears to have omitted!

Was the 940 sold in Portugal? They may already have the information they need on a national database. If not, you may need the national type approval from the country yours was first registered in.

Good luck! This looks like a nightmare.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 12:11   #6
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
Is this normal or should it be considered incomplete?

Back in 1997, the certificate of conformity template would not have included section 46. Assuming the CoC shown is a reprint, those sections are likely blank because they originally would not have been needed.

The CoC template can be found on P57 of this document.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...L0156-19970914

That document link above is consolidated to Sept 1997, but other versions are available:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...x%3A31970L0156

Quote:
It only needs one though

And don't forget, before the UK left the EU, we had an equal say in those laws - so many of those 'Eurocrats' were Brits. In fact, the British position is/was well respected and often followed by many other EU countries.

I've worked in vehicle homologation for well over a decade, and been part of the working groups for vehicle legislation.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 12:16   #7
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
I don't know if it's of any help, but oddly, HM Government Foreign and Commonwealth Office provides a brief guide to importing a car into Portugal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-into-portugal

This implies that the main reason you might need the CoC is to prove the CO2 emissions; which your CoC appears to have omitted!

Was the 940 sold in Portugal? They may already have the information they need on a national database. If not, you may need the national type approval from the country yours was first registered in.

Good luck! This looks like a nightmare.
Funny enough I had seen that same info, not on that website.
Yes, this specific model is approved in portugal and I do already have the national type approval number and document, but it is very barebones and doesn't have any details really.
And you are correct. Basically the main reason they need the coc is to prove emissions, and they made a coc without emissions values lol

I called the MOT place and they said the inspection type that I have to do will in fact read and record the emission values. But in conversation with the guy we both agreed that it would be much better to have the official values on the coc.
Right now it would make no difference, becuase even though the tax of importing is calculated based on emissions, I won't be penalized by the real values (much likely much higher than the official ones) because I am exempt from the tax, due to relocation exemption.

But, I fear that in the future, the government might make a tax specifically based on emissions, and then I would be greatly penalized for having the real emissions instead of the official ones on the paperwork. The MOT guy agreed with my reasoning.

I called Volvo Portugal and the guy remembered me from a few months ago and he is helping me solve the issue. Sent him the coc I received over email and I threw in the value that should be there "244g/km". It's funny and ironic that it has to be me telling volvo what they should put in the coc, lol but let's see if it works. I just hope I don't have to deal with the other company myself.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jan 25th, 2024 at 12:18.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 12:26   #8
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Back in 1997, the certificate of conformity template would not have included section 46. Assuming the CoC shown is a reprint, those sections are likely blank because they originally would not have been needed.

The CoC template can be found on P57 of this document.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...L0156-19970914

That document link above is consolidated to Sept 1997, but other versions are available:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...x%3A31970L0156

It only needs one though

And don't forget, before the UK left the EU, we had an equal say in those laws - so many of those 'Eurocrats' were Brits. In fact, the British position is/was well respected and often followed by many other EU countries.

I've worked in vehicle homologation for well over a decade, and been part of the working groups for vehicle legislation.

That's good info right there James. Thank you so much.

One question arises though. Does this mean that if I ask for a coc now they have to fill in this section? And the company that made the coc just failed to do so!? Or is this considered complete because back then they wouldn't have this section?
I mean, this coc was made in 2023, not 1997. And those values are known... So they should be there, logic says... But what do you think?

EDIT: and what do you mean by "if it is a reprint"? Does this mean that they just reprinted it and didn't check it is was complete?

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jan 25th, 2024 at 12:30.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 12:38   #9
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post

EDIT: and what do you mean by "if it is a reprint"? Does this mean that they just reprinted it and didn't check it is was complete?
By 'reprint' I mean duplicate of the original.

I believe that a 2023 CoC would be a 'duplicate' as it is not the original.

The additional data might not be easy to obtain (and some fields not relevant).

So no, I wouldn't expect a duplicate CoC to contain more information than the original one.

Also, please note that manufacturers are only obliged to make duplicate CoCs for a period of 10 years after the vehicle was manufactured.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 12:44   #10
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
By 'reprint' I mean duplicate of the original.

I believe that a 2023 CoC would be a 'duplicate' as it is not the original.

The additional data might not be easy to obtain (and some fields not relevant).

So no, I wouldn't expect a duplicate CoC to contain more information than the original one.

Also, please note that manufacturers are only obliged to make duplicate CoCs for a period of 10 years after the vehicle was manufactured.
It's not Volvo that makes the cocs in Portugal. It's a private, separate company.
I was just in contact with Volvo and the guy said that the companies' answer was that in 1997 "it wasn't mandatory to control emissions". Note, not that the form did not contain that info, but that the values were unknown/untested. Which is in fact a lie.

But the 244g/km emission is a known value. It's easily found with a quick google search... How do you mean it may not be easy to obtain?