Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key fob stuck in ignition and auto in park

Views : 1546

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 21:28   #1
Colin curry

Default Key fob stuck in ignition and auto in park

No previous warning signs and 130000 on clock when different warning signs came on. Transmission service and dstc service required also low battery and systems failure lights all flashed up and stayed on.No red lights carried on for half a mile to home parked up and turned off engine. All electrics stayed on and key stuck in park ignition had to disconnect battery. Had RAC out he thought gearbox fault. Had friend look at it and read codes P0850-86. p0850-29. p0860.p0821. u0101. u0101-26.B10f1–96. u0101-00.U0126-00. Plus more. Key lost communication was mentioned a few times friend thinks something electrical and not gearbox after putting into neutral

Have had problems with both keys both needing new batteries after less than 8 weeks for last 6 months. Also had a leak in extreme windy wet weather with sunroof leaking on to gear stick and water in lights could one of these be part of problem or is gearbox favourite.
Colin curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 22:35   #2
seanc

First thing I think you should do is to try and stop the leaks! Check and clean any drainage holes for the sunroof.

Get the main car battery tested, definitely sounds like something electrical going on.
I'm not sure how water would get into the Gearbox control module, if it even has. It could be a short or bad connection elsewhere in the center console because of the moisture which is causing issues or discharging the battery causing low voltage.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 10:31   #3
Model flyer
Master Member

Are you sure its the sun roof leaking ? Water from there usually runs down the windscreen pillars. Water dripping from the lights usually indicates that the windscreen adhesive has failed , its a well known fault. You can check if screen bonding has failed by getting someone to press on the screen from the inside while looking at the outside and you will see a slight movement. The sun roof will back up and leak as the drain tubes get blocked . They run down the front pillars for the front drains and from the back of the sun roof unit into the rear arches . The front N/S blocked on mine flooding the foot well. I used a thin but stiff plastic tube (Radio control snake inner available from Model shops ) this as pushed down and a syringe used to flush water down it . It only took a few minutes to clear and water should drain just below the rear of the front wheel arch. the rear drains are trickier but it seems its the front that block most.
Main battery can cause all sorts of problem if volts are down.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Mar 12th, 2019 at 10:33.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 11:31   #4
Colin curry

Thanks for replies. Think correct about sunroof leak as remember in jet wash 18months ago slight drip from top of screen passenger side when he was jetting
Think has only happened once in extreme wind and rain.

RAC man first thought was alternator fault but unlocked the transmission from behind console put into neutral started and then said won’t go into drive so thinks gearbox fault.

But looking back have had problems with both keys losing battery, water ingress to interior light holder and have just remembered drivers electric seat a week before would not adjust it came on after few minutes of key in and out and restarting a few times put it down to one of the buttons being slightly stuck

Have dealt with good independent Volvo garage but 25 miles away rac will tow me but car could be stuck there if gear box fault. When gearboxes fail are all the warning lights usually triggered or is this more suggestive of electrical fault with key not communicating.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 11:44   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

I would check and see if water has found it way into any fuse boxes and that the switch on the foot take is working as this will prevent you putting car in gear. . It sounds much more like an electrical fault rather than a gearbox fault.
Also do check that your windscreen adhesive hasn't failed as that points to the water dripping from the light and jet washers will find the leak and imo cause premature failure of the screen adhesive.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 18:35   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Don't think it's the gearbox, and be aware of garages saying anything for a job.

I'd look first at the brake pedal switch and it's wire/connector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDxPQlK_WVY and then perhaps at the ignition barrel (google up for forums topics). Good to also take the alternator and battery voltage, not uncommon to give up at the 130k miles mark.

Also look at the fuses one by one with a flash light while there
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 22:25   #7
Colin curry

Just a quick update. All sorted took a while but was a partially burnt wiring loom causing communication problem from key
The Following User Says Thank You to Colin curry For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 15:51   #8
supasimpa

Hi Colin,

I think I'm having the same issue that you did! I've been in the CEM and changing out the auto gear assembly too. I thought it was the gear stick position sensor.

If possible, is there any way you can please shed a bit of light on the burnt loom? where about was is? What should I be looking for?

Cheers,
supasimpa is offline   Reply With Quote