Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My replacement xc70 fault.

Views : 711

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2019, 07:10   #1
spudd
Master Member

Default My replacement xc70 fault.

My replacement xc 70 has chucked up Transmission service required. It goes into limp mode and a - replaces the D. I do have a replacement gearbox but have never changed an autobox. Any ideas what may cause this before I pull engines and gearboxes out.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 09:37   #2
JGTTDI

Sticking solenoids caused by dirty old oil can cause all sorts of problems with them. I changed the old twice (sump dumps) and it cured a few issues I had with my geartronic. I also reset the service required light and its been fine since. Each change required around 3 litres to do. It might be worth trying this route first before replacing gearboxes etc.

That being said, changing the old might not solve the problems you are experiencing.
JGTTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JGTTDI For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 09:51   #3
spudd
Master Member

Just read the code its PO811 Excessive clutch A slippage. going to pop some sea foam in and await 20ltrs of JWS 3309.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 17:23   #4
spudd
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudd View Post
Just read the code its PO811 Excessive clutch A slippage. going to pop some sea foam in and await 20ltrs of JWS 3309.
Before adding the seafoam I pulled the dipstick from transmission its brown and it stinks bad.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 21:12   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Before adding the seafoam I pulled the dipstick from transmission its brown and it stinks bad.
dont use seafoam only use the correct jws 3309 fluid . do 3 sump dump about a week apart clear all messages set the level when the gearbox fluid is hot with the engine running
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 23:58   #6
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

change the fluid to cherry red. run for a week. if still error, reset the adaptation. run for a week. If still bollocksed then change the gearbox
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 06:52   #7
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
My replacement xc 70 has chucked up Transmission service required. It goes into limp mode and a - replaces the D. I do have a replacement gearbox but have never changed an autobox. Any ideas what may cause this before I pull engines and gearboxes out.
When I got my 230k D5 auto the box was hard shifting and flaring badly.
I fully changed the oil in one go using the Volvo/Gibbons method. The box continued to flare while it settled down and is now 99% better.
The slipping clutch is a worry as slippage is normally increased with fresh oil.....
Will your car creep forwards when in gear with no throttle? If not it's likely got knackered clutch packs and would need a rebuild or exchange box.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 07:31   #8
spudd
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
When I got my 230k D5 auto the box was hard shifting and flaring badly.
I fully changed the oil in one go using the Volvo/Gibbons method. The box continued to flare while it settled down and is now 99% better.
The slipping clutch is a worry as slippage is normally increased with fresh oil.....
Will your car creep forwards when in gear with no throttle? If not it's likely got knackered clutch packs and would need a rebuild or exchange box.
Only get a donk pulling into reverse. on the move its a very smooth gear change. if I take my foot off the brake in drive it moves off.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 07:58   #9
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Only get a donk pulling into reverse. on the move its a very smooth gear change. if I take my foot off the brake in drive it moves off.
That's at least a good sign Spudd!
New oil can sometimes reveal worn out clutch packs but as ever it's a gamble.
Mine were/are fine at 240k with new oil.
Have you got Vida to reset the oil counter and the adaptions memory?
If so don't do a full adaptions reset unless you have drastic problems, reset the adaptions memory and just let the box learn the new status quo with fresh oil, if it bangs into reverse try selecting reverse quickly several times to see if it will engage without thumping in.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luggsey For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 08:56   #10
Symes
Master Member

I had a 2.4 non turbo 170 a few years ago, that had a clunky box when I picked it up, mainly when going from n to drive or reverse (also had the stop-neutral software on it). Worse when warmed up.
Normal shifting on the move and kickdown were pretty good, almost perfect.

Changed the fluild with gibbons method, shift was vastly improved, clonk almost gone from neutral, shifting on the move about the same.

Decided to get a d5 for economy and whilst waiting to sell the petrol the battery went flat and not used for a couple of months... Then got a buyer, replaced the battery, checked over, serviced and ran it for a couple of days - well, it was like a new car, the shift from standing or moving was silky smooth and continued that way for the new owner. Presumably the prolonged period of no electrical power rest the ecm and tcm, at that time I had a BSR that couldn't do the tcm, got Dice pretty soon afterwards !

I changed the d5s fluid within the first 6 months, even though it didn't show any signs of clonks or flare, the colour was muddy brown.

So I'd give it a flush, check Vauxhall and Toyota prices for the correct spec fluid too, reset all the modules with Dice and go from there,.
The Following User Says Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post: