Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D5 EGR Code Fault

Views : 9539

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 14:11   #11
ComradeBT

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It must have been quite alarming when, basically, your V60 shut down on you with no power whatsoever.

It's interesting to hear that you had the most of your costs by Volvo goodwill. Like you, my V60 is a first time Volvo for me too. I also have a full service history direct with the same Volvo dealership.

I'll contact them on Monday to discuss the situation with them.

(by the way, how do I change the title of this thread to be V60 D4, rather than V60 D5?!)
ComradeBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 16:41   #12
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeBT View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles. It must have been quite alarming when, basically, your V60 shut down on you with no power whatsoever.

It's interesting to hear that you had the most of your costs by Volvo goodwill. Like you, my V60 is a first time Volvo for me too. I also have a full service history direct with the same Volvo dealership.

I'll contact them on Monday to discuss the situation with them.

(by the way, how do I change the title of this thread to be V60 D4, rather than V60 D5?!)
It misfired a few times before losing almost all power (would tickover and could just be driven off the A-road into a car park, albeit with much kangerooing). Obviously this wouldn't happen with the usual problem of the cooler blocking up, when I imagine that the car would run perfectly ok but with a warning light?

I only got my car in July, so wasn't aware of its repair history, however my dealer informed me that it had previously had the cooler replaced.

Good luck with your dealer, at least you can quote my experience of getting 50% goodwill on the valve and 100% on the cooler. Otherwise, as said, try another dealer.

More info on VEA EGR problems and goodwill payments here, in this huge thread! https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555

Last edited by Zebster; Mar 23rd, 2019 at 16:59.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 13:27   #13
ComradeBT

Thanks again for the info and the link to the other thread. There does seem some precedence for Volvo UK to honour goodwill and pay for 50% of the valve cost and 100% of the cooler replacement cost - regardless of age of vehicle etc.

My D4 was purchased direct from the Volvo dealership and has had a full service history with them.

Yesterday, after 10 days of silence, I finally spoke with the dealership again who totally washed their hands with me. They suggested they have tried to help me when in fact the opposite is the case. They insisted they would not pay for anything, despite my comments on Volvo UK having paid out to others as a case of goodwill. All the dealership suggested was that any so-called warranty on the engine ran out in December 2018 and I could, if I wanted to, speak to Volvo UK myself.

Do you know if there was an actual recall made by Volvo when these EGR issues first came to light with this type of engine?
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 14:16   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I don't believe that there was a recall for EGR valve and/or cooler replacements. Nor for the manifold oxygen sensor... I had recurring sensor problems but it seemed to fix itself (which I assume was due to an active DPF regen burning the soot off it) plus the Volvo software update during a dealer service makes the ECU more tolerant of a slow response.

Why not post in the main 'VEA EGR' that I linked above... you're more likely to get answers there, particularly as this thread title is misleading. There are plenty of posts where many of us have had free cooler replacement.

Last edited by Zebster; Apr 6th, 2019 at 14:21.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 11:49   #15
ComradeBT

I shall do. And thanks again for your help and advice on this situation.