Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC40 Vs Kia Sorento?

Views : 4634

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 13:55   #1
Physiogirl

Default Volvo XC40 Vs Kia Sorento?

Hi

This is my first post but I'm really hoping by joining you can all help me.

I'm in the process of picking which car is right for me and after tying several cars I decided on the Volvo XC40 as I felt it was big enough and suits my needs but the reason I need your help is because my sister thinks I should go for a bigger car even though I really want to get the XC40, I did test drive the car she thinks I should go for ( my sister and her 3yr old son lives with me and further into this post I'll explain more) the Kia Sorento is what she thinks I should get but I really don't feel I need a car that big hence why I'm stuck as both are lovely cars but not only do I feel that I don't need a car that big but the Sorento is way more expensive and I'm not 100% sure I can afford it were the XC40 I know I can afford.

Both suit what I need and I have test drove both and liked Both but the XC40 won hands down due to being quiter. Below I will write some of the things that are important to me.

1) i will be driving 300 miles a week and live in a very isolated village and we get very bad winters here when it does snow so being able to drive though the snow is very important as we have no supermarkets or shops ect were we like we are a very , very small village , my nephew goes to nursery in the next town to us which is 30 mins drive ( I pick him up as my sister works in the evening) and I work 1hr away from were we live. So it's important that I can drive out of the village and not let the snow be a problem. I think I read as long as I have good winter tyres the XC40 will do just as well as the bigger car.

2) I suffer with fibromyalgia and back issues so comfty seats and heated seats\ steering wheel are important so I don't get stiff

3) due to suffering tinnitus a car that's not to noisy ( the only noise that can be a problem is road noise , tyre noise ect. ) this is why the Volvo won hands down in the test drive as it was quiter than the Kia.

4) reliable ( I'm not sure how reliable Volvo's are)

5) able to carry two large dogs in crates in the back ( a German shepherd and a golden retriever)

The car will be used for , daily commute to work and then picking my nephew up after work , day trips , shopping trips, trips to the vet , grocery shopping ect.

Please read what I'm about to say very carefully so you can understand why I don't think I need such a big car like the Sorento.

The reason my sister wants me to have a bigger car than the XC40 is we always have to hire a car for holidays as my sister's car is not big enough , she owns a Mazda 3 hatchback, and there's not enough room for me, my sister, my mom ( who comes on holiday with us) , my nephew and 2 large dogs let alone luggage so we always hire and my sister thinks if I got the bigger car we won't need to hire anymore but I just think that's a waste of a big car as apart from going on holiday once a year we are never in the car all at once for example most week days it will be just me during the day and my nephew in the evening , then shopping trips are the only time we are all in the car but if we go on a shopping trip ( clothes shopping ect) then the dogs won't be with us and if we go on a day trip with the dogs then we won't be shopping , so I just don't see the point in getting a big car like the Sorento when 80% of the time it's just me and my nephew in the car. I just thought for holidays that I could have the dogs and my sister could have the luggage that way we all still go on holiday without hiring if that makes sense.

I thought that my plan would be better as I can't help but think of what the service costs and maintenance costs are for such a big car like the Sorento compared to the XC40 as I'm the one paying for the services ect and only so we have a bigger car for holidays ect that's why I think my idea is better of using two cars my and hers instead of buying a car bigger than I need.

The reason I joined is in hope I can get an outside view advice and to see if XC40 owners agree that the XC40 seems right for the needs above.
Physiogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 14:28   #2
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Welcome to the Volvo Forum.

Just a point about carrying your 2 dogs in the XC40 - did you try the crates in the boot on your test drive to make sure that they both fit in?
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 14:36   #3
Physiogirl

Hi thanks , yes I did the GSD's crate is bigger so I needed to put one of the back seats down in order to fit it but the goldens crate fitted fine.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 15:09   #4
niva441

Reading that I think you've answered you own question. How long are you on holiday for after all, compared to the rest of the year when it is you and hte dogs.

Another way of thinking about it is how much more expensive is the Sorento, the saving could be used for a hire car.

Enjoy YOUR car.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 15:19   #5
Physiogirl

That's exactly my thought and how I feel , the holiday is only once a year and we can just hire a bigger car , or my sister gets the bigger car than me since she earns more than me and she is the one who wants a bigger car.

The Sorento would be about 5k more to buy compared to the XC40.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 16:26   #6
niva441

It is easy for me to say from a distance, but it's a more car to finding space for all the rest of the year.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 18:35   #7
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physiogirl View Post
Hi thanks , yes I did the GSD's crate is bigger so I needed to put one of the back seats down in order to fit it but the goldens crate fitted fine.
I think the answer then is the XC40 - far better car than the Kia in my view.

There are lots of XC40’s on the Volvo Selekt used car site, might be worth a look if you want to avoid a long wait for a new one.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 14:15   #8
Physiogirl

Thanks , after test driving the XC60 and XC40 I love both and it's hard to pick I would pick the XC60 but am worried it will be massively more expensive to service and massively more expensive for repairs ( once the warranty has ended) as I'm presuming the XC40 will be cheaper being smaller.

I definitely have decided I will be buying a Volvo. I'm just between the XC40 and XC60 but it all comes down to repair\service\ running costs ect. As buying the car itself is no problem I have saved up 48k ( given to me by my dad when he passed away) to buy a new car so can buy either , my only worry financially is running costs and service\repair costs.

And can anyone tell me how reliable Volvo are as a brand as I have read mixed reviews some say there very reliable others not so good and the reliability surveys put them in the middle not as high up as Toyota \ lexus on the list but not as low as land rover or jaguar?
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 14:37   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
I definitely have decided I will be buying a Volvo
Based on your requirements, a good decision.

Quote:
have saved up 48k
With that kind of money, I would consider buying a nearly new demonstrator or Volvo Selekt car.
You'll have effectively a brand new and latest spec car but make a sufficient saving on either XC60 or XC40 to have a sizeable contingency fund for unforseen problems, a nicer yearly rental car and better still, to buy a comprehensive extended warranty for peace of mind.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 21:53   #10
cassell
Member since 1988

I too think you've already made your mind up and want a Volvo. It's your choice and I respect your considerations about your sister and nephew but at the end of the day you are paying for the car and its upkeep. You're the one driving 300 miles a week in it after all.

The costs associated with either an XC40 or an XC60 won't be that much different but if you feel more comfortable with the smaller car, so be it.

I previously ran a 10 year old XC90 and no longer really needed a 4WD or 7 seater but it was a hard decision to downsize as it was such a great car. I seriously looked at a Kia Sorento and a Hyundai SantaFe (essentially the same car) and almost went down that route. Fortunately I researched running costs and MPG which was an eye-opener with both and made up my mind for me!

I finally bought a Volvo V90 D4 Inscription (estate car) and have never looked back or regretted the decision, just the brilliant economical fuel consumption alone makes me feel good, something you won't get with a Sorento.

Living with a car that makes you worry about its size and running costs for the sake of an annual holiday is pressure you could do without, go for the Volvo of your choice!

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post: