Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Motor holiday to France

Views : 3379

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 13:22   #11
Whippy
Premier Member

Got to be done! I go at least twice a year now. Caen to the Med in nine hours can't be bad, all on one tank as well!
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 15:36   #12
BEJ

A couple of other points. If crossing by ferry, remember to turn the motion detector alarm off or you may possibly be sitting in the restaurant listening to a car alarm sounding and wondering if it is yours.
The other thing,

is it is mandatory (AFAIK) to carry a warning triangle.

Enjoy your holiday.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 16:11   #13
Whippy
Premier Member

Correct, it is.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 16:13   #14
Peter86
Pete

French roads are great. They did reduce the national speed on 2 way road last year by 10km less so check recent road speeds on the net. I got caught by a mobile camera last year (the mobile ones are massive round Concrete things that need a wagon to move them and usually in the middle of nowhere) didn't get any fine. Known a few people from England get caught and never get any fines. Why would the dvla want to make work to not to benefit from it!
If you get caught by the police though it's on the spot fine.

If your going above certain speeds they will confiscate your car but you have to be going really fast for that.

or they will

Confiscate your licence so you can't drive (another person will have to), ban you from driving there for 3 months, on the spot fine, post your licence back to the uk, then take you to court in your absence and send you a fine home on top of what you already paid as my brother in law found out.

Brethalisers are now an advisory. As of Jan 2013 the 11 euro fine for not having one was postponed indefinately.

Your driving licence paper counterpart is now available online since the actual paper part was made redundant a few years ago.

I drive over there most years, as long as your sensible and obey the speed limits etc you shouldn't have a problem, I never have.

Hi vis jackets are required by law along with first aid kit, fire extinguisher, spare bulb kit, tyre repair kit or spare wheel.

Halifax do a clarity credit card which is free to use abroad, there are some others also out there. Great for Toll roads on the motorways. You don't get the charges using abroad like most other cards.

I know the toll road that goes down to le mans is very expensive so try an avoid that. As in a previous post have a look online for toll road costs. Most others are sensibly priced some are very cheap.

This is all from my personal experience but as things always change please check the net for all up to date rules.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter86 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 16:19   #15
Peter86
Pete

French roads are great. They did reduce the national speed on 2 way road last year by 10km less so check recent road speeds on the net. I got caught by a mobile camera last year (the mobile ones are massive round Concrete things that need a wagon to move them and usually in the middle of nowhere) didn't get any fine. Known a few people from England get caught and never get any fines. Why would the dvla want to make work to not to benefit from it!
If you get caught by the police though it's on the spot fine.

If your going above certain speeds they will confiscate your car but you have to be going really fast for that.

or they will

Confiscate your licence so you can't drive (another person will have to), ban you from driving there for 3 months, on the spot fine, post your licence back to the uk, then take you to court in your absence and send you a fine home on top of what you already paid as my brother in law found out.

Brethalisers are now an advisory. As of Jan 13th the 11 euro fine for not having one was postponed indefinately.

Your driving licence paper counterpart is now available online since the actual paper part was made redundant a few years ago.

I drive over there most years, as long as your sensible and obey the speed limits etc you shouldn't have a problem, I never have.

Hi vis jackets are required by law along with first aid kit, fire extinguisher, spare bulb kit, tyre repair kit or spare wheel.

Halifax do a clarity credit card which is free to use abroad, there are some others also out there. Great for Toll roads on the motorways. You don't get the charges using abroad like most other cards.

I know the toll road that goes down to le mans is very expensive so try an avoid that. As in a previous post have a look online for toll road costs. Most others are sensibly priced some are very cheap.

This is all from my personal experience but as things always change please check the net for all up to date rules.

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 16:25   #16
Peter86
Pete

https://www.greenflag.com/driving-in...ving-in-france

Worth a read. Pretty much most things you need to be aware of.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

This is regarding low emission zones, check if your going to these areas, if not you don't need one. If you do it's less than 10 euros to get one.

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 16:35   #17
kmb

I live in France a good proportion of the year, I'm not sure the First Aid kit and Fire Extinguisher are compulsory... Although my company car did have them and it is good practice.
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 17:10   #18
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Thought all Volvo's came with a triangle anyway. I do also have a bulb kit & first Aid kit in the car.

Having some 1Euro & 50c coins for the Loo's at the services is always helpful when you arrive & are busting
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 18:48   #19
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

I am not sure how feasible it is to carry replacement bulbs for xenon headlights and LED bulbs that most new cars have these days.

I have a set of replacement bulbs in the car which I have had for years, but not sure if any of them would fit my current car!!
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 19:50   #20
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I shall be going to Normandy in May, Portsmouth to Oustrieham (Caen) for the 3rd time. Can't really add anything to the already excellent advice but I have never carried a breathalyser kit. Also I think I will fit some beambenders. Although the handbook suggests the beams are flat and they are not needed a recent thread indicated this is not true, so playing safe.

Apparently there are some forms that need to be filled in if you are unfortunately involved in a accident and they are supposed to be carried in the car, so will look into that.

Keeping a eye on Brexit at the moment in case a insurance card is needed as I keep seeing news reports that it could affect drivers going across the channel.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote