Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Number plates and eu flag

Views : 3053

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 19:58   #11
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
This topic was on the radio news the other day - from what I remember we will have to remove the EU stars and have the GB sticker on the back of the car as we should do now when visiting Switzerland or Norway.

However I would like to see a published statement as the EU may require that there is no blue bar on the plates at all.

I would expect that initially there will be a few token prosecutions to prove a point and then the offence used when the book is being thrown at a driver for major transgressions.
Turkey, Georgia and Ukraine use blue bars. I know they have some sort of trade deals with the EU, but can't see why the EU would request the blue part off as those countries aren't EU.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 20:36   #12
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

why not have a plate with no identify flag, if you ever decide to leave these hallowed shores just put a small GB sticker on the car for the duration or if you are that anti euro just get GB plates made.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 22:05   #13
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
This topic was on the radio news the other day - from what I remember we will have to remove the EU stars and have the GB sticker on the back of the car as we should do now when visiting Switzerland or Norway.

However I would like to see a published statement as the EU may require that there is no blue bar on the plates at all.

I would expect that initially there will be a few token prosecutions to prove a point and then the offence used when the book is being thrown at a driver for major transgressions.
I must have listened to a different programme because I am sure they said it will be sufficient to have the GB Flag on the number plates and no need to have GB sticker and this will be perfectly acceptable throughout EU. So who is right?
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 07:06   #14
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Living in mainland Europe, but being outside the EU and being surrounded by EU countries, and having a national number plate system that is NOT EU compliant means that everyone here knows too well how the neighbouring countries tick.

A Swiss car driving in France, Germany or Austria does not need to have the country sticker fitted. These countries recognise and accept the Swiss numberplate as being a sufficient identifier of the country of registration of the vehicle.

But in Italy they still refuse to accept the non-EU numberplate and the cars still need to have the country sticker fitted, and the Italian police often run checks just over the border and happily hand out 100 € fines for cars missing their country sticker.

It’s a bit of a game, as most of the cars without a Country sticker in Italy are from Switzerland, as it is the only land border with a non-EU country. And the Italian Police like to play the game and get revenue for poor Italy from wealthy Switzerland.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 09:40   #15
hennabm

I have the Saltire on my plates and then have a GB magnetic sticker on the boot lid.
I shall continue to do so after the 29th March.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hennabm For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 11:06   #16
Peter86
Pete

What's the point in changing everyone's reg plates, it still has GB on it. Why just not make it mandatory for any new plates made to have a different GB sticker on instead from 2019. Be easier, cheaper and save a lot of plastic waste over a sticker.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 12:03   #17
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

I have other plates with the below. If I was going anywhere else in Europe I'd use them. But France in the summer and been told here they don't take kind to our flag. I do have a saltire on the roof box mind you.

Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 12:16   #18
derek vivian

Default Number plates after brexit

Does anyone know from where I can get stick on plastic GB to cover the existing EU stars with GB in the centre which is on the left hand side of my number plates.? There is room for a vertical sticker if I can get them.
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 12:19   #19
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
Does anyone know from where I can get stick on plastic GB to cover the existing EU stars with GB in the centre which is on the left hand side of my number plates.? There is room for a vertical sticker if I can get them.
eBay Amazon etc

The Following User Says Thank You to SignumGB For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 12:20   #20
steadvex
Master Member

I quite like the EU with the GB in them, neat and compact

I hate the stickers on the car, just looks cheap and nasty to me, never thought of one in the window though.

I prefer the EU style number plate as its not initially obvious your from the UK, I imagine just like many UK citizens hate anyone who isn't from the UK for no reason, many people in Europe probably have the same hatred for the British, Personally I rather blend in a bit more with a standard style number plate than a big GB sticker on the car
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post: