Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT Procedural Question

Views : 1586

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2019, 11:44   #1
Spike56
Master Member

Default MOT Procedural Question

Took my car in for the MOT test (Volvo dealership). Had the 'phone call that it was passed with only comment that windscreen wiper blades were leaving smears. Had those changed. Received the pass certificate, paid the bill and left. Got home checked the paperwork, all the items were 'green' except the wipers. All good so far.

Went online to the DVLA MOT webpage and it shows MOT failed for 'major defects'. It also shows the pass thereafter.

According to the fail the headlamp beams were too high!

Given that the headlamps are electrically 'lowerable' and a simple twist of the dial would have lowered said beam, does it not seem churlish to fail it. Or is the 'beam' different to the focal point? Also should there not be a failure certificate issued also? And lastly how does the angle of a light constitute a 'major defect' ??

I don't NEED an answer, but this has set off the grumpy old man in me once again!

Thoughts?
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 12:54   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It looks like they have followed the correct process, the answers to all your queries can be found here:

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....als/class3457/

Remember that prescribed procedure is that repairs cannot be done during the test. If a defect is found, they have to fail it, repair it, and re-test. Even a bulb.

Also the MOT tester is likely not to be the mechanic doing the service and other work.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Feb 27th, 2019 at 12:57.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 13:35   #3
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post

According to the fail the headlamp beams were too high!

Given that the headlamps are electrically 'lowerable' and a simple twist of the dial would have lowered said beam, does it not seem churlish to fail it.
The test requires that the beam height is set to maximum elevation to avoid the dazzle risk to oncoming vehicles....apparently the tester isn't permitted to carry out repairs whilst the vehicle is being tested.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 14:38   #4
Teilo1979
V70 R Design D4 MY2013

Where do you draw the line between a repair and an adjustment,
surely turning a dial to adjust headlight angle, or moving a sat nav from the screen etc is not a repair?
Teilo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teilo1979 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 14:53   #5
Whippy
Premier Member

The vehicle is presented in the condition it will be used on the roads, if in this condition it fails the test then it fails the test.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 15:30   #6
Teilo1979
V70 R Design D4 MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
The vehicle is presented in the condition it will be used on the roads, if in this condition it fails the test then it fails the test.
Agreed, I'm not disputing the way its done. Just querying the 'why' it's done.
Seems daft to fail it, adjust it (turn a dial, flick a switch, move a sat nav), retest it then pass it.
When flicking a switch or moving an obstruction is all that's required to meet the 'pass requirement'.
I agree with no repairs to be done during the test, without that, an MOT becomes an open ended task but in my opinion if there are no tools and no parts used then it's not a repair it's an adjustment/setting change.
Teilo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teilo1979 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 17:04   #7
green van man
Premier Member

The turn a dial to lower headlights is for load compensation, with an empty car it should be set to its highest setting and the lights adjusted to that so that they cannot be too high under any circumstances.

You do not get an MOT certificate these days, just a printout of the results submitted on line and the official record is that on line one not the printout you have, if it fails and then passes you can see it on line but the only bit of paper they print is the final pass.
When I tax the car it's MOT status is checked on line, the bit of paper I have is to make me feel good after giving the garage up to £56 and no one is bothered wether you keep or bin it.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 18:33   #8
Spike56
Master Member

I will give them fair dues as there was no charge apart from the test fee and the solid gold wiper blades!

The other question is. How do headlights go out of pitch?
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 19:42   #9
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Sometimes its enough to change a bulb.

Itbis possible not to push the bulb fully in into its seat, and therefore it will sit at wrong angle.

But also- bulbs are made to certain tolerances.
The coil inside will sit slightly differently in each bulb, even a pair from the same box will have these at different position.

Easy to check- just go to your nearest place that sells car bulbs, grab a box ir two (preferably clear plastic box, but that's most of them anyway) and have a close look.

Absolutely enough to throw the lights settings off.

And therefore it makes sense to at least check your beams elevation against a wall after each bulb change..
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 21:03   #10
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilo1979 View Post
Agreed, I'm not disputing the way its done. Just querying the 'why' it's done.
Seems daft to fail it, adjust it (turn a dial, flick a switch, move a sat nav), retest it then pass it.
it shows that the tester has done his job by checking the headlight beam correctly and its not worth him losing his job for not failing it.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post: