Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear lights issue

Views : 786

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2019, 13:33   #1
Coachwhip

Default Rear lights issue

Just got hold of a 240 and having issues with the rear lights. Is this white connector right? I've tried quickly to put it in other ways but seems to be only one way it fits. But if I turn it to lock it into place then the connector moves off circuit board and stops light working. If I just leave it without turning the lights work... until the holder falls out.

Thanks

Coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 09:49   #2
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

If it's the 6-lamp rear light set-up (i.e. post 1980) there are two different patterns, with tail, rear fog and stop lights changing locations depending on year. The lampholders differ IIRC.

What configuration is on your car: stop lamp outboard or inboard?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 12:52   #3
Coachwhip

It's a 1990 car. 3 stop lamps? Brakes on outside.

I suspect something has been replaced wrongly before as if the white holder is in properly then I lose the right hand tail light

Last edited by Coachwhip; Mar 10th, 2019 at 12:55.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coachwhip For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 09:09   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The configuration on my 1987 saloon has:
Indicator, Reversing and Stop on the upper level, all with CP32 21w lamp-holders, going from outboard to inboard;
Rear Fog and two separate tail lamps, again from outboard to inboard with a CP32 and 2 CP4 5w lamp-holders.

You may have taillamp assemblies from 2 separate model-year cars; yours SHOULD have the two tail lamps separated. The multi-plug connector is designed to go in and lock in only one direction.

The two assemblies look similar but aren't directly interchangeable; you might need to get creative with some suitable wire and connectors to resolve this problem. If so, make a careful note of which colour of wire originally came from the loom andwhich you've used as a replacement.

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 13:33   #5
Coachwhip

Ok, finally had a chance to have a look in the daylight with no rain or howling wind.

Single piece lights on both sides.
Top row, indicator, reverse, fog. Fog being inner and indicator on outside.
All CP32.
Bottom row, brake/tail, tail (unused), tail. Brake/tail on outside.
L/H side CP32-3 in black, R/H side CP32-3 in white for brake/tail, tail on inside is CP4.

All seems good apart from the 3 contact bulb holder on the right hand side. This is obviously the problem, as if turned to the lock position then the earth and tail connectors are on the same part of printed circuit. The brake stays on the correct part.

Right hand fog isn't working though it's probably just a poor connection from the L/H circuit board.

So not sure if I have the correct lenses, though it all seems to fit apart from the white connector. So just need to source the correct connector. Any idea where I'd get a list or pics of this, or is it the Volvo dealer?

Mike
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 19:02   #6
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Mike:~
Trust I’m not stating the obvious here! I haven’t seen a mix of White & Black bulb holders on these cars- only black- could the orientation of the white connecting lugs be slightly different? If so when in the locked position they may not have the correct/ positive contact point with the circuit board. These bulb holders do come up on eBay so don’t pay a lot for them.
Have you tried substituting the appropriate holders?
Good Luck
Bob
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 20:33   #7
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

PM me your address (or email me) and I'll send you out a black CP32-3,as I've got a few of them that are surplus to requirements.

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 21:48   #8
Coachwhip

Yes I'm pretty sure the bulb holder is wrong. Found 2 different part numbers in the US.

Thanks for the offer of the holder. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to pm yet.

I'll probably only be using car for next week or so anyway, as I'm thinking of going to bruntingthorpe in the V70. As I'll be swapping between them every few months. Also have a little work to do on it. Heater motor and top mounts.

Mike
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 09:09   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Have you tried substituting the appropriate holders?

That was my thought - try one of the other black ones and see whether the contacts line up, then look on ebay or google for the same kind.

A search shows they are mostly black, but white is a variant on some models.

Presumably single filament holders have 2 contacts, double filament, 3.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 11:45   #10
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

PM sent with my e-mail address.

The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: