Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

which automatic XC60

Views : 1287

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2019, 16:02   #11
PJordan

The 6-speed auto box is very smooth and the D5 AWD engine a dream on our XC60, absolutely love it. Sure the 8-speed auto will be even smoother but don't let that stop you should you find a good deal on a D5 model.

I find having the AWD more reassuring in all road conditions although only a personal opinion.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:26   #12
Pitvar

May not help the OP too much - but we have the sublime BMW 8 speed in a F10 5 series and then the 6 speed in a D5 XC60 AWD and whilst the BMW box is the best auto I've ever driven (never hunts - unlike say the new £60k Touareg box which is shocking) I don't mind the XC60 at all - its still fairly smooth and doesn't half motor if you put your foot down.
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 21:33   #13
ShamusUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitvar View Post
May not help the OP too much - but we have the sublime BMW 8 speed in a F10 5 series and then the 6 speed in a D5 XC60 AWD and whilst the BMW box is the best auto I've ever driven (never hunts - unlike say the new £60k Touareg box which is shocking) I don't mind the XC60 at all - its still fairly smooth and doesn't half motor if you put your foot down.
Same here. I've come from the brilliant ZF 8 speed box in a F30 BMW 3 Series. Super smooth and a really nice joystick-type electronic gear-shifter. I do miss that gear shifter, but apart from that the Volvo 6 speed is just as nice in everyday use.

There is a downhill left turn when you slow down, and take a left at some lights (Queens Road, Bradford). My Volvo used to 'clunk' into 2nd gear every single time I used this turn (every day). I got used to it and thought, oh well it's a 6 speed. It did it every single time, but I accepted it.

I got my car serviced earlier in the week at Volvo. Guess what? The car no longer clunks on that left turn. I assume the gearbox software was updated during the service?

Anyway, that was my only slight annoyance with the 6 speed box. And that has been rectified now. So, happy days
ex: 2016 Volvo D3 SE Lux Nav Auto
ex: 2013 BMW 320i Luxury Auto

Last edited by ShamusUK; Mar 25th, 2019 at 21:36.
ShamusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 22:48   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrain View Post
For the Aisin gearbox oil change, where are you getting this done? My local dealer was still saying sealed for life a few months ago. What sort of price am I looking at?

My D4 VEA is coming up to 58k/5 years old.
interesting ,,, I suspect the dealer themselves are saying It was sealed for life not Volvo UK … Volvo have never said or published anything to say it was sealed for life . I have not heard anything official about an oil change at 5 years either , although it is a good idea .
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 23:32   #15
Fimac

I had both D5 2009 and D4 2014. Too many issues with the D4. The D5 never missed a beat..........worth the extra fuel IMHO......
Fimac is offline   Reply With Quote