Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do you trace a small exhaust leak?

Views : 717

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2018, 10:41   #1
Joe H

Default How do you trace a small exhaust leak?

I suspect I have a minor leak in the cat / flex / lambda boss / gasket area.
Trouble is that it gets so hot there that I cannot get my hand close enough to really check.
I have done the usual blocking exhaust with a rag and increasing revs but that just gets it hotter.
There is no obvious staining, cracking or holes so any tips for tracking it down (before removing)??

Cheers
Joe

Last edited by Joe H; Jun 25th, 2018 at 10:47.
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 13:04   #2
SwedishBus

The normal method for doing this job is to use a leak-detection machine; basically a smoke-producing rig that pumps smoke from baby-oil (or similar) under very light pressure through a fitted bung. In this particular case, you would fit the bung in the exhaust tailpipe with the engine stopped and the system cold, and give the smoke machine a couple of minutes to fill the exhaust system, then any leak around the manifold area or backwards would be apparent.

Do you have a friendly local garage that has such a machine? They are fairly common (I use a Smoke Pro, but there are several types) and for the sake of a few minutes, it would give you an instant result.

Don't be tempted to try making your own smoke (like the internet says!!!) as you will either kill the catalyst, or kill yourself, in the process of using the wrong sort of smoke.
SwedishBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 13:33   #3
Joe H

You learn something new every day...I have never heard of that so thanks.
I will call into an exhaust place that should be open this evening and see if they have one.
Cheers
Joe
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 16:32   #4
Rebuild

What I use is a shop vac. You can just set it to blow air and place the hose into the exhaust pipe. Then it's just a matter of feeling around the entire exhaust to find the leak, usually it's pretty obvious. Also what you can do is spray soapy water on the exhaust, bubbles forming = leak. Very much similar to finding leaks on a tire that way... some say doing it this way may force debris into the engine so it might not be the absolute best way to go about it...

Last edited by Rebuild; Jun 25th, 2018 at 16:38.
Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 23:13   #5
byootox
Premier Member

I use the smoke pro as well, if the garage has one or equivalent get them to smoke the intake side as well.
Very useful tool for small leaks.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 09:37   #6
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
I will call into an exhaust place that should be open this evening and see if they have one.
Cheers
Joe
Well....I got to the Independent exhaust place I last used a couple of years ago.
Made it all the way into the Reception before I realised they have been taken over by Kwik Fit!
Still, they stuck the car on the lift and using eyeballs and a mobile phone torch decided the lambda boss is leaking, although there was no real evidence of it.

I have applied a sticking plaster (GunGum) and am committed to the MOT test this afternoon so will see what that shows.
If necessary I will search out a place with some technology to do a better diagnosis.

Thanks all
Joe
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 14:36   #7
KBB
Master Tech

Combination Smoke pro and Flir camera are my tools of choice.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 23:51   #8
SwedishBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBB View Post
Combination Smoke pro and Flir camera are my tools of choice.
Ditto. The FLIR has been one of my best investments for fast and accurate diagnosis of almost anything; leaks, blockages, air-locks, resistive electrical connections, faulty sensors, faulty air-con, etc.etc.
SwedishBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 07:36   #9
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
Kwik Fit ... stuck the car on the lift and using eyeballs and a mobile phone torch decided the lambda boss is leaking, although there was no real evidence of it.
Please treat any Kwik-Fit diagnosis with extreme suspicion.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 08:31   #10
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBus View Post
Ditto. The FLIR has been one of my best investments for fast and accurate diagnosis of almost anything; leaks, blockages, air-locks, resistive electrical connections, faulty sensors, faulty air-con, etc.etc.
I love this forum. I would never have thought of using IR for dodgy electrical connections or air locks.
Joe