Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 estate

Views : 635

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 17:52   #1
weathervane

I want to buy a 1990's 240 estate preferably with 7 seats and an automatic transmission. Can anyone give me some help, advice, does, don'ts, and what to look out for? Also the 245GLT looks very appealing would these be difficult to come across in Ireland? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 18:58   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The very last 240s produced were I think only the Torslander with the 2.0 engine. The GLT is certainly the one to go for. It has the benefit of all the goodies, a 2.3 engine, higher gearing, improved suspension - better front shocks and stiffer anti-roll bar. When looking the most impoortant consideration is bodywork, then bodywork. Just check for rust, around screen, sill rear closers, rear wheel arches, and particularly the section above the rear bumper where the bottom of the tailgate closes. Also check under carpets for signs of ingress of water. There are plenty of posts on the various problems faced and there cures. Don't think that they all have all these problems! Mechanical condition isn't as important as everything can be fixed but try to get one that lokks well maintained. Mileage isn't too much of an issue - my GLT is on 270,000 and doing about 37,000 miles a year.
Don't worry about seven seats - the 7 seat conversion often comes up on ebay for little money.
Mike

Last edited by Mike_Brace; Mar 24th, 2006 at 19:02.
Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 20:53   #3
brens-s80
VOC Member

Wink Hi Weathervane

Hi,

Welcome to a great forum. Nice to see another Irish entry, I started out my search looking for a 240GLT( either saloon or estate) and after much fruitless looking I bought a manual 1992 245SE ( you'll see my entries on this forum).

I don't believe that that are that many 240GLT here so you may have to look at importing one from the UK ( hope your lucky). Keep an eye out in the usual papers such as Buy&Sell /Autotrader/Car-buyers-Guide and you may be lucky.

There is a 200 for sale section in this club so you could also try there as well as Ebay.

best of luck in your search. If you need anything locally just PM me.

brendano
brens-s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 17:37   #4
Peter D
Peter D

I'm selling my father-by-law's 240 GLT estate for him. Its in white and is a 2.3 automatic with overdrive. It's got full leather (all black apart from rear facing seats) a tow bar and Mot untill mid November. The tax is out this month (March). It's covered 152000 miles and is in good shape outside, inside the front seats are tatty and there are couple of minor faults - passenger window needs a new motor, wiper stalk is well worn and the stereo has given up but for the age it's ok.
Drive it away from St. Austell, Cornwall for £400 if anyones interested. (in Autotrader as well)

01726 74055 or ben.jo1@btinternet.com

Here's a pic

Did you spot this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote