Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speakers - other than whats in the front doors.

Views : 1141

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 17:23   #1
Dez

Default Speakers - other than whats in the front doors.

Hello and good afternoon!

I'd like to add some more speakers to enhance the sound in the 240. Theres only door speakers in the front ( good blaunpunkts). Mike has advised that 6x9's can go in the back but where would this be? and has anyone got any speaker manufacturers to mind? I'm not into bass boxes etc just speakers that won't distort when i raise the volume.

PS. I had to buy a replacement wing aerial so i could get radio stations, i bought the aerial from Halfords...bloody cable was too short! stopped about 4 inches from the stereo! doh!!

Cheers again!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 19:57   #2
dennisl1
VOC President

Default 245 rear speakers

You have a problem with a 240 estate. You can only put the speakers in the door panel or where Volvo also fitted some, in the very small panel by the shoulders of the rear passengers. It is sort of triangular and sits by the top of the rear seat, the size of speaker is very small and to get a good sound it is necessary to search around for some top quality ones. I fitted some to a 245 GLT a number of years ago. Volvo used to make the speakers complete with the panel attached. The speakers I bought, and I am sorry I cannot remember the make, had the magnets inside the cone instead of behind it as there is not a lot of room. I am not positive but I am fairly sure that 6x9s will be a little difficult to accomodate in the door although they would be ok in a saloon on the rear shelf.
Best wishes

Dennis
dennisl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 21:26   #3
wagoneer

To accomodate larger speakers in panels, you could always make an MDF ring to mount the speaker in or, in the case of the estate, a smaller removable speaker box for 6x9's. It would be almost invisible covered in black carpet.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:47   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

6 x 9s fit into REAR door panel without a problem.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:22   #5
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Thanks mike, thats helped me aswell, they will be going in tonite and if it helps anyone I'll post a picture
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:16   #6
Dez

Thanks everyone! excellent advice.

Tuning_redblock, can you pst those pics? i'll have an idea of where the best place is to put them in the doors then.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 20:42   #7
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Some pics of my son's install in his GLT

6 x 9 Infinitys in rear door

Rear shelf - 6 x 9 Infinitys in box

Boot - Bass box with Sony Explodes 10" subs powered by 900 watt Boschmann amp, 15 channel Encore graphic equaliser, 500 Watt Toxic amp running front door speakers (Sony Explode 4 1/2" [?]without grilles - fits original holes), Boschman 900 watt 4 way running the two sets of 6 x 9s (Also in boot 70 litre lpg tank behind seat + 50 litre on rhs)

JVC head unit with remote and 12 disc changer in boot.
Total power of 2300 watt - soon will be 3300! You need the engine to power the amps! Fitted 7 series 100amp alternator to cope. Battery (Lion Type 100 72 amp hour) only last 40 mins on good bass at average volume.

Hope this helps!!!

Mike

Last edited by Mike_Brace; Mar 22nd, 2006 at 20:46.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:29   #8
Dez

Thats some sound system there Mike!!! I thought my sounds was ok with a JVC head unirt ( same as your son's by the way) and 2 door speakers1 i'd love to know how that sounds!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:09   #9
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

A W E S O M E ! ! ! (Or deafening if you are an old f@rt!). The great thing is on minimum volume it is possible to talk normally in the car. Get it wound up and the car starts to resonate - not as bad as the small hatches. The sound quality is good it isn't all bass - unless you make it so. It just gets louder and louder. Fortunately round here there is plenty of open space where it can be enjoyed without annoying.
Mike

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 14:56   #10
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

I have done somthing similar to what dennis has sugested. It is all well an good to put speakers in the botoom of the doors as Mike has done. but when you shut them they will shut against the back seat so part of the sound will be lost. The original speakers that are fitted to 240's where not designed with digital tech in mind subsaquently if you turn up the sound to much they will distort. I'm a metal head an i like it loud. so the orginal speakers had to go. Sony do some speakers that are small enough to fit in to the original appitures an pump out an awsome sound. they fit straight into the front doors. at The back just above the wheel arch there is a peace of trim that if you remove you will find the rear speaker appitures. Unfortunetly you will need to cut a small peace of metal out to make the sony speakers fit here also carefully cut a whole in the trim that covers this so you can mount the speaker in it. I have also constructed a parcel shelf which I have covered in dark blue felt to match the interior, that fits in the estate area so I could mount some 6/9 as well all of this runs nicely off my xplod sony head unit. It's nothing like as impressive as what mike son has got but it does bring it into the 21'st century and as mike says because its not a little hatch the sound is realy impressive. The speaker can be bought from halfords by the way.

Best of luck an if you want more imfo drop me a message. steve curtis
Steve Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote