Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 2.0D sometimes wont crank

Views : 764

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2017, 11:23   #1
Stuh1981

Default C30 2.0D sometimes wont crank

Hi

I have just recently purchased a 2008 Volvo C30 2.0D, everything seems great with the car but the other day I had real problems getting the car to start. It has done 125K and has been serviced by Volvo all its days.

When I turn the key to start the car all the usual lights come up on the dash but the car does not even crank. I hear a faint clicking sound

I have always managed to get the car to start eventually but it is a real pain. I am tempted to take it back to the garage I bought it from but as the problem does not occur all the time (although seems to be more frequent)
and there are no warning lights displayed/messages once the car is started I think any garage would have difficulty finding a problem.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
2006 Volvo S60 D5 SE (Sold)
2008 Volvo C30 2.0D R-Design
Stuh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 11:31   #2
fleming164

I've heard this is a reasonably common problem in these cars, I think the ignition needs changing for a newer revised one.

I'd definitely take it back to where you bought it from.

Ex:
'06 S40 2.0D SE - 178,000mi / '00 Renault Clio 1.2 - 138,000mi
fleming164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 18:55   #3
850Chris
Premier Member

Failed crank position sensor may cause this, although I suspect engine would still turn over. It could also be something as simple as loose connection to starter motor. I'd get the garage you purchased it from involved whilst you still have some come back.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.

Last edited by 850Chris; Feb 24th, 2017 at 19:01.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 20:27   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If you are getting a clicking sound when you turn the key to the start position then this suggests you have worn contacts in the starter solenoid - this solenoid engages the starter drive gear and operates the contacts that supply the high current that the starter motor needs, these contacts can wear out so they only operate intermittently. The problem will get worse until it doesn't work at all.

One of the Achilles heels of these cars is the starter and alternator as they are Ford spec crap an don't have the life span of those that Volvo specified and fit to other cars. Some of the cheap pattern parts available are even worse - so I tend to use original used parts where I can.

If you have a warranty I would take it back. To be fair if it is an intermittent fault they might not have known.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2017, 20:52   #5
Stuh1981

Thanks for the input guys.

Contacted the garage today and they are more than happy to look at the car. It seems to be the case that if I move the key from side to side in position 3 it then starts no bother.

Hopefully they will fix the problem anyway as it should not need me to move the key from side to side.

One of the reasons I stopped buying Volvo's was the switch to "Ford" parts did not fill me with confidence at all. I have always had a soft spot for the C30, so thought I would give it a go again. I do quite bit of mileage so it is important that the car is right.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 13:13   #6
TheFiend
C30 R-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
One of the Achilles heels of these cars is the starter and alternator as they are Ford spec crap an don't have the life span of those that Volvo specified and fit to other cars. Some of the cheap pattern parts available are even worse - so I tend to use original used parts where I can.

If you have a warranty I would take it back. To be fair if it is an intermittent fault they might not have known.
LOL..... I find it funny when Volvo owners blame the use of Ford parts as the reason for stuff failing.....

In 36 years of car ownership, of which nearly 30 have been owning and driving Fords I only ever had 1 starter motor failure. In fact during my Ford ownership years I hardly had any problems....

And one of my reasons for buying my C30 was because of it being based on a Focus, just dressed in a better looking frock!!!

And it's odds on that my next car will be a Ford...
TheFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 14:23   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFiend View Post
LOL..... I find it funny when Volvo owners blame the use of Ford parts as the reason for stuff failing.....

In 36 years of car ownership, of which nearly 30 have been owning and driving Fords I only ever had 1 starter motor failure. In fact during my Ford ownership years I hardly had any problems....

And one of my reasons for buying my C30 was because of it being based on a Focus, just dressed in a better looking frock!!!

And it's odds on that my next car will be a Ford...
most of the problems with volvos now are the ones left over from Ford ..
Ford bought volvo , raped the technology and moved it on ...
Starters and alternators on S40/V50/C30/C70 are a common failure after 100000 miles
Ignition switch mentioned above has Ford on it , ford have had 2 goes at fixing them from 2004 to 2008
Clutches breaking and wearing , duel mass flywheels , Clutch Concentric slave cylinders,
waterpumps leaking on the 1.6 D
Washer pumps leaking internally back up the loom ruining the CEM ,
Manual gearbox Gear selector mechanisms
Door wiring plugs..
Electronic fuel pump controllers
Electric parking brake controller on the bigger cars failing before modified
Door locks etc etc all branded ford
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 15:53   #8
TheFiend
C30 R-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
most of the problems with volvos now are the ones left over from Ford ..
Ford bought volvo , raped the technology and moved it on ...
Starters and alternators on S40/V50/C30/C70 are a common failure after 100000 miles
Ignition switch mentioned above has Ford on it , ford have had 2 goes at fixing them from 2004 to 2008
Clutches breaking and wearing , duel mass flywheels , Clutch Concentric slave cylinders,
waterpumps leaking on the 1.6 D
Washer pumps leaking internally back up the loom ruining the CEM ,
Manual gearbox Gear selector mechanisms
Door wiring plugs..
Electronic fuel pump controllers
Electric parking brake controller on the bigger cars failing before modified
Door locks etc etc all branded ford
OK, in just under 30 years of Ford ownership I've had 1 clutch failure, 1 starter motor failure,1 water pump failure, 1 brake cylinder failure, 1 broken coil spring, 1 failed strut, 1 front wishbone and 2 brake discs.. And most of those Fords have been owned by me for 3-4 years at an average of 15-18K miles per year.

Slag off Ford all you want, but my experience with Ford has been very good...

And over the years I have driven Vauxhall, Opel, Citroen, Peugot, Renault, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Honda, Toyota, Triumph, Austin, Morris, Talbot, Hillman, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Porsche, Pontiac.......
TheFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 17:18   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFiend View Post
I read of endless failures on much newer and much lower mileage cars from the Ford era that I and fellow owners of older, pre-Ford Volvo just don't suffer.

Having driving several Ford-era Volvos too, the difference in general quality is stark and really quite obvious.

Alternator failures, air conditioning compressors, starter motors, cooling systems, brake modules etc.....
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 21:29   #10
Stuh1981

Update: Faulty starter Motor, replaced under warranty