Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Over 208k miles would you buy???

Views : 2373

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 17:14   #11
cbv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
It’s £1,000. If it has 4 wheels that don’t wobble when you push and pull them (bearings), stands well with Even panel gaps and doesn’t have oil everywhere that’s a phenomenal amount of car! You need to see if that model has ‘self check’ (mine - a later mode) will flash up any current issues when you start it.

You will need to be a home mechanic yes at that price.
Am now looking at this lower miles one with 11 mths mot sounds more promising as previous won't budge on price so not worth the risk
cbv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 17:24   #12
Moose Test
Master Member

If the OP has another £1k that they are willing to spend if needs be (and indeed, they might get lucky and not need any of it) then I totally agree. But IF not (and it's just my opinion but one based not on the £100s but £1000's of receipts that every Volvo I've ever owned has amassed), without MOT or any service history they'd do better to walk away.

It's Land/Range Rover syndrome. Yes, they're massively well specified cars for the money but there is a reason that they can be acquired at this price at this age.

The more work you can you can do yourself, the better it gets, obviously. And there's a good supply of viable second hand parts. But if that doesn't fit the OP's intentions, then it can quickly get very expensive.

Last edited by Moose Test; Jan 2nd, 2021 at 17:27.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moose Test For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 17:41   #13
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Can I humbly suggest that with anything you are considering buying, you spend 30 seconds to register and then input the registration number.

Previous MOT history is a massive indication as to how people have looked after a vehicle.

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 17:44   #14
cbv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
If the OP has another £1k that they are willing to spend if needs be (and indeed, they might get lucky and not need any of it) then I totally agree. But IF not (and it's just my opinion but one based not on the £100s but £1000's of receipts that every Volvo I've ever owned has amassed), without MOT or any service history they'd do better to walk away.

It's Land/Range Rover syndrome. Yes, they're massively well specified cars for the money but there is a reason that they can be acquired at this price at this age.

The more work you can you can do yourself, the better it gets, obviously. And there's a good supply of viable second hand parts. But if that doesn't fit the OP's intentions, then it can quickly get very expensive.
I am willing to spend on what it needs to get roadworthy and reliable i and do know at that low purchase price its definitely going to need cash throwing at it. Yes i do as much work as i can myself but i do have a reliable mechanic i use now and then when i can't do the work just need an half decent XC 90 to start with
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 17:46   #15
cbv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Can I humbly suggest that with anything you are considering buying, you spend 30 seconds to register and then input the registration number.

Previous MOT history is a massive indication as to how people have looked after a vehicle.

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/
Thanks i do that with any potential purchase
The Following User Says Thank You to cbv8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 18:34   #16
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbv8 View Post
I am willing to spend on what it needs to get roadworthy and reliable i and do know at that low purchase price its definitely going to need cash throwing at it. Yes i do as much work as i can myself but i do have a reliable mechanic i use now and then when i can't do the work just need an half decent XC 90 to start with

They are great cars - I wouldn't have stuck with the marque and the accumulated expense over the years if I didn't think so. But they have their quirks and they can treat some not so inexpensive parts (e.g. wheel bearings, suspension components and ABS rings) as regular consumables.

If you're prepared and ready to spend a fair bit more on it to bring everything up to a decent standard of roadworthiness and maintenance, then so long as it's a viable runner to start with, the £1000 offering might be a solid financial proposition. But with no service history, if it were me, I'd make very sure that the most expensive stuff (i.e. gearbox and AWD) was absolutely working as it should first. That's where the really big bills can come from.
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 18:54   #17
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

If it costs a grand to buy it and it passes the MOT without much drama then you have had a bargain.

If it fails the MOT miserably then you could recoup some if not all the money back by braking the car and selling off the parts individually, if you happy with the carcass of an XC90 lying around on your drive away for some considerable time.

Like already said the MOT has not been done as either the owner cannot be bothered getting one done on a £1k car or he knows that its going to fail with a big bang.

The 3k miles from the last MOT is a positive but the new MOT may show corrosion issues etc.

For a grand an XC90 is not the sort of car I would be looking at. Trying to find a decent one for £3-£5k can cause a lot of headache.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 19:30   #18
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimfull View Post
If it costs a grand to buy it and it passes the MOT without much drama then you have had a bargain.

If it fails the MOT miserably then you could recoup some if not all the money back by braking the car and selling off the parts individually, if you happy with the carcass of an XC90 lying around on your drive away for some considerable time.

Like already said the MOT has not been done as either the owner cannot be bothered getting one done on a £1k car or he knows that its going to fail with a big bang.

The 3k miles from the last MOT is a positive but the new MOT may show corrosion issues etc.

For a grand an XC90 is not the sort of car I would be looking at. Trying to find a decent one for £3-£5k can cause a lot of headache.
Looking around 3-5K seems to be the point where you can buy wary ones with high mileage but full service history and low ow era with new MOt.

That seems to be the ideal price point.

You make an interesting point however regarding the value. You will have an absolute bargain at 1K. Breaking would be a big issue and take time but you would pretty easy make the 1K back doing that.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 20:25   #19
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbv8 View Post
I was getting quite positive until this post there is no history unfortunately it does look a tidy car but for the history and mileage bit . I have found another an o4 2.4d auto with 115k miles not as tidy as previous one but has 11 mths mot and is cheap but again no service history!!!
I have never regretted buying a car that has matching good brand tyres from an owner that’s had the car for a decent length of time, and who lives in a well maintained house. They may well have not kept the service records (possible; annoyingly, the guy who owned my XC70 from new threw every receipt away thinking the stamps in the book were good enough) and are just too busy to get the MoT renewed.

If it’s being sold by someone who’s not owned it long, it’s had multiple owners and mismatching tyres, then don’t touch it unless you want a world of pain.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 16:37   #20
paddy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
I have never regretted buying a car that has matching good brand tyres from an owner that’s had the car for a decent length of time, and who lives in a well maintained house. They may well have not kept the service records (possible; annoyingly, the guy who owned my XC70 from new threw every receipt away thinking the stamps in the book were good enough) and are just too busy to get the MoT renewed.

If it’s being sold by someone who’s not owned it long, it’s had multiple owners and mismatching tyres, then don’t touch it unless you want a world of pain.
Sorry for hijacking, but why are mismatching tyres a reason? I have mismatching tyres between front and rear... :| I needed to change one tyre, they are no longer produced, so I needed to get two new tyres (same manufacturer, other model) for the front and still have the "old" tyres (old is relative, they had around 500km before one went flat) in the rear...

Thanks for a clarification.