Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to Replace the Hazard Light Switch

Views : 18900

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2011, 20:19   #1
gatos
Premier Member

Default How to Replace the Hazard Light Switch

Here we go with another guide requested. It is for a small part of the car, but it seems that many people have been having problems with their Hazard Light Switch.

There are 2 ways to remove the Hazard Light Switch. I have followed both ways and posted photos so you can choose whichever you think is easier to follow

First of all remove the fascia form the heater control panel. I use my Leatherman blade to prise it off from one side and then the other.

Undo all four screws

The Heater Control Unit is also secured by this clip on that slot. To remove the Heater Control Unit you need to push it in slightly and it will prise off easily. Pay attention when you put everything back together as you must make sure you secure it back the correct way.

There are two connectors plugged in the Heater Control Unit. Best way to remove it is to push it in diagonally and unclip the first connector.

You can then remove the Heater Control Unit partially outwards and unplug the second connector

Now here is where there are two ways to do it. I personally use the first method, as I am used to it and I know where and what the parts look like.

Method 1

Put your hands in there and try to feel the two clips securing the Hazard Light Switch. See the next two images to get an idea of what you should be feeling for.

You need to push the two clips gently inwards and push the Hazard Light Switch inwards

A close up:

You will need to wiggle out the switch so it is in this position. Then you can easily unclip it and replace it with your new switch.

Method 2

This is the method I used the very first time I had to replace my Hazard Light Switch. It is a lot more trickier in my opinion and you face a small risk of breaking something, or losing small bits.

You will need to remove both vents. Again, I used my trusted Leatherman to prise off each vent.

This is a bit tricky too if it is the first time you have ever tried it. You need to push those clips downwards. See also next photo. The best way I found out is to do the right side one first and pull the fascia outwards and then do the left hand side one

Then you just pull out the fascia outwards and very easily disconnect the Hazard Light Switch and replace it with the new one

JOB DONE

And here are some close up images of the switch. If you want to take it apart to try to repair it, you need to push in this clip and do the same on the other side

This small metal bit is the one moving from left to right locking and unlocking the Hazard Light Switch. The tip of it moves in some grooves which makes it move from left to right. I have tried in the past to repair an old Hazard Light Switch I had but had no luck whatsoever with it.

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Dec 30th, 2011 at 20:45.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 20:27   #2
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Yet another superb guide. Since this seems to be a common fault this will be very helpful for those wanting to fix it ( like me )

Thanks Gatos for taking the time again to do the guide

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 20:40   #3
gatos
Premier Member

I tested the 4 hazard light switches I had and 3 of them were fine. The 4th one was stuck and that is the one I took apart.

One of them is yours Volvo2002, and I need to find out who was the other person who asked me for one.

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Dec 30th, 2011 at 20:44.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 20:44   #4
Volvoline
Master Member

Thanks CAT MAN
Volvoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 20:47   #5
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
I tested the 4 hazard light switches I had and 3 of them were fine. The 4th one was stuck and that is the one I took apart.

One of them is yours Volvo2002, and I need to find out who was the other person who asked me for one.
Thanks Alex. Look forward to doing this job myself. I'm starting to enjoy doing my own work now. The Gearknob was a good start

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 20:53   #6
blairs40

hey alex , i notice your toolkit seems to use the leatherman a lot .....im happy to send you over a small flat bladed screwdriver !!!!
cheers from NZ
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 21:01   #7
sebaveh
Winegrover

I like it

It seems those plastic or metal things, moving left and right, are common weak points for generally all push-switches.
sebaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 21:06   #8
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairs40 View Post
hey alex , i notice your toolkit seems to use the leatherman a lot .....im happy to send you over a small flat bladed screwdriver !!!!
cheers from NZ
lol. Indeed. A lot of people buying, buy it as an expensive gadget that they will hardly ever use. I keep it on me most of the time and keep using it all the time. I have flat blade screw drivers, but the leatherman blade is quite thin, wide and strong and that is why I use it a lot. It's nickname is "butcher", as the blade closed on me once and cut my finger down to the bone....

Since then, I have learned how to use it a lot more carefully

Nullius in Verba
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 21:44   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

Another clever guide for the Articles section, Gatos

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 21:23   #10
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Fitted today and working perfectly. Used Method 1

Unfortunately I found this job a bit of an annoyance. My hands aren't small so I found inserting the new switch in and connecting the plug onto the back a bloody nightmare. After much determination I got the plug in and the new switch fitted. The old switch appears to engage whenever it feels like it.

The guide was very well explained and I rate it highly. Just don't be a idiot like me and damage the three ventilation knobs in the process

The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo2002 For This Useful Post: