Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting after flat battery

Views : 783

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2021, 12:53   #1
morebeer

Default Starting after flat battery

Newbie to this site - hoping for advice.
Volvo V70 D5 2011
Battery went totally flat (lockdown!). Fully charged it and put back on vehicle.
Hazards flashed - interior lights, radio light etc all came on. Pressed starter button, heard various 'clicks', but engine did not turn over. Dash light no longer appears, but radio light, heater lights etc; still do. Key fob will not now eject either! Any ideas?
morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 12:58   #2
Nick45

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebeer View Post
Volvo V70 D5 2011
Battery went totally flat (lockdown!). Fully charged it and put back on vehicle.
Hazards flashed - interior lights, radio light etc all came on. Pressed starter button, heard various 'clicks', but engine did not turn over. Dash light no longer appears, but radio light, heater lights etc; still do. Key fob will not now eject either! Any ideas?
It doesn't sound like the battery has charged correctly. Is there another battery you can try to confirm?
Nick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 12:59   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

You're probably going to be better off posting in the forum for the later cars, this section is for x70 up to 1999, the later cars are much more complicated electronically.....
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 13:34   #4
morebeer

Sadly no - May have to buy a new battery, although this one is only about 2 years old. Thanks for your reply.
morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morebeer For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 16:38   #5
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Get it on a battery charger- you will also benefit longer term when batteries are left etc- trickle charge/conditioner will extend the life for future use.

I use two of the above on three classics- Red box Gunson type are good, you will find other advice regarding favorites within the form etc.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 16:53   #6
Willow place

Get a Solar Charger, we only use our car once a week even without lockdown,now it just sits on the drive and used once every 14 days . Bashy on the later site is the Solar man !
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 17:40   #7
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

I'm sorry to say that if it went totally flat and stayed that way for even just a few days then you'll have deep discharged it. The battery plates will have sulphated and there really is no way back from that. Sadly it's a case of fitting a new battery.

John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 14:46   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

That's not always the case. A low trickle charge for 24-36 hours will in my experience bring a 2 year old battery back to "normal". Due to Covid I have 2 batteries which have sat for about 8 months in my garage some way away and I haven't been able to get to them. Fingers crossed they will revive too. One is on my car and that has up to now started fine after sitting for 6 months! The one off the car, a nice big Bosch might not make it.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 15:58   #9
griston64
Premier Member

The CTEK trickle charger has reconditioned a couple of batteries I had. One had been sitting for months
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 16:32   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebeer View Post
Volvo V70 D5 2011
to fully charge that battery will take around 48 hours depending on the charger , Especially if it has been flat for more than a day or so .....