Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust

Views : 854

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2021, 10:49   #1
Ovlovppz

Default Exhaust

My exhaust has rotted at the rear of the back box. Where the center pipe joins to it.
So it needs a new back box and center section.

Called Volvo..... Ouch! £675 supplied 🤣

The parts seem unavailable from exhaust centres.

Any ideas apart from equally pricey stainless systems?

Would a rear box delete make the car too loud or just a little sporty? 😉😉
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 15:08   #2
MCFastybloke

Take it to a Longlife exhaust center and get something made.I have a custom system on my V8 Jag,Cat Back,two legs,x pipe and back boxes £499 and finished the same day for 2pm. I used one in Leeds Tony Banks.
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 18:28   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

These days a good exhaust fabricator can make you a customised stainless steel exhaust to meet your personal requirements in terms of appearance, sound and power output, and all for less than the cost of a Volvo OEM system that will corrode away while the stainless system will last the life of the car. In the long term it saves money and improves your car, so long as you are sensible about for what it is that you ask.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 14:30   #4
Ovlovppz

Good news.
I had a stainless straight through system made for the car.
It has made no difference to the running but sounds a slight bit louder from the rear.
Happy days 👍👍
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 15:12   #5
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovlovppz View Post
Good news.
I had a stainless straight through system made for the car.
It has made no difference to the running but sounds a slight bit louder from the rear.
Happy days 👍👍

hur mycket. ££ ?
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 11:33   #6
100K+
Premier Member

Default Wet blanket...... so sorry

I have considered this custom fabrication route for my 2005 V70 P2. Except I'm considering downpipe/cat + full exhaust. - nothing ever changed. My issue is getting insurance cover as being a custom build I doubt the insurance company will consider the system OEM , and therefore a modification. When I recently asked Aviva about Polestar for my v70 D5 (2015) they said due to under-writers rule changes they were not insuring ANY car that was not COMPLETEY standard. Having asked about one mod, I have not as yet asked about the exhaust...

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 14:31   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I could understand the underwriters' response in relation to a non OEM exhaust, but Polestar is a standard Volvo option and you could have bought the car with it supplied. I'd talk to another insurer!

And another insurer might not worry about the fact that you'd merely changed the exhaust system material from mild to stainless steel. After all, I assume you are not fitting a raucous "Cherry Bomb" street racer extreme system!

I think Aviva is too big and too inflexible to deal with anything other than new car insurances and tend to try to treat all cars that way.

I have fitted customised stainless systems to other cars and not had the problem you are having. I also had a reputable remap and by describing it as an engine management optimisation, it was accepted at no cost. And I've fitted Polestar to my XC70 and the insurers didn't seem to be at all interested once they knew it was a Volvo factory fit engine optimisation system.

Car insurers often do not seem to know a great deal about cars!