Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alloygators.....

Views : 2841

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2011, 20:03   #11
madman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
These things are as ugly as the nasty pieces of plastic which people put on the edges of their doors.
Their primary function, granted, is not to look pretty - but if you pick a sensible colour, I don't think they're especially noticeable.

As for the "mindset / pride" comment, then I would have thought most scrapes happen by genuine mistake, accidents happen no matter how careful you think you're being.

Anyway, nice to see this has sparked some debate even if the general consensus is they're no good!

Last edited by madman1; Jul 13th, 2011 at 22:54.
madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 07:17   #12
DesertDog

As with a lot of choices, it's a case of functionality vs aesthetics.

Personally I prefer to take all the time I want when kerbside parking in order to avoid a kerbed rim but there are many who aren't so careful and to whom these rim protectors may appeal.

His: MY2008 Shelby Cobra GT500 coupe - Torch Red
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 09:59   #13
GMad
Premier Member

If someone wants to try one for free, there's one in a field just north of junction one on the A14 (westbound). It came flying off a BMW X5 that had just overtaken me on Tuesday evening!
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 12:58   #14
pjv40

I have fitted a set of these gators to my 2013 v40 with original Pirelli tyres and although they looked a bit 'loud' due to the chosen colour, I got used to the way they looked. I have subsequently replaced the front tyres with hankook evo's and refitted the gators as per instructions to my surprise within a day they started slipping out of the wheel.I refitted them 4 times each time ensuring they were seated corrected. On the way home the other day the offside front came off altogether causing paint damage and a dent in the drivers door.
I emailed alloygator with my remarks and they have washed their hands of all responsibility stating the tyre and wheel combination are unsuitable or that they were incorrectly fitted!! Please be warned that if you plan to change tyres they may fall out.This is not written on their product info as they don't see it as a fault.
Great idea but in my case a waste of 60.00 and damage to my immaculate car to boot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman1 View Post
Not sure how many will have seen these (link given below)?

Hard plastic rim that you fit between the tyre and alloy wheel. Sits just proud of the wheel rim so it should, in theory, be the first thing that makes contact with a Kerb rather than the metal of the wheel itself.

Not cheap, although I managed to grab a set on eBay for £36! (normally £50-£60 I think).

Just fitted them and I have to say pretty please with the results. Fairly unobtrusive as I have the black colour (other colours available although not too sure why you'd want any colour but black personally).

Not too difficult to fit, web site suggests an hour, which might be fine for a trained professional, more like a couple of hours (involving a bit of bad language) to mere mortals!

http://www.alloygator.com/
pjv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 15:13   #15
Fellwalker

I've had them on my Skoda Octavia for 4 months. When parking in my garage I have to get as close as possible to the wall and have a baulk of timber to prevent me hitting the wall. It used to rub my alloys, and the alloy gators have prevented that. Mine had to be fitted with the tyres, not a diy job but one for a garage. No way will they come loose.
They are OK, and have clearly worked as they are damaged but my refurbished alloys are not.
Not sure how long they will last, but it only has to be till June when I swap for a new Volvo.
The garage owner had them, and several customers - including one who had chosen bright blue!
(I cannot work out how to use the Album feature to insert images into a post - so these are uploaded)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-04-17 14.52.20-1600-1600.jpg (48.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-04-17 14.52.55-1600-1600.jpg (36.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-04-17 14.53.49-1600-1600.jpg (43.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-04-17 14.54.35-1600-1600.jpg (39.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-04-17 14.56.11-1600-1600.jpg (30.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Fellwalker; Apr 17th, 2015 at 15:20. Reason: added photos
Fellwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 17:20   #16
GMcL
0's and 1's

You buy tyres with the rim protectors already built in.
The other thing is when parking put the car on full lock and touch the kerb with the tread face, you then know where the kerb is, back off slightly and straighten up. No kerb rash on your wheels.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote