Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intercooler related issues

Views : 303

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2023, 20:36   #1
myshed

Default Intercooler related issues

Hi, I would appreciate the knowledge and wisdom of other VOC contributors.

I have a Sept '05 (55 plate) V70 mk2 d5 which I've owned for over 4 years. Had all the usual symptoms of a blown intercooler, so set about replacing it. Job has gone fairly well, but there is one issue especially that worries me.

Now I may have the wrong descriptions for the parts, so please bear with me as I try to explain.

In removing the air hose from the 'cooler (left hand side of engine), noticed there was a fair bit of "gunge"(thick almost solid, sticky black) in the casting that this hose connects to, so I removed it and cleaned it out. I was gobsmacked at the amount of gunge removed, (see picture), so I removed the next hose which connects this to the inlet manifold. This too was badly gunged nearer to the casting, but "only" about a 1/4" layer of gunge where the hose meets the manifold.

Apart from loss of power, drop in economy, smoking under heavy acceleration, all has seemed ok.

So - is this something I should be worried about? Is there any way further deposits of this "gunge" can be removed, say like by additive, giving engine a real good blast . . .?

Suggestions and observations would be very much appreciated please

Last edited by myshed; Dec 1st, 2023 at 20:44.
myshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 21:01   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

it might be worth checking if your egr valve is working this can be confirmed with a good diagnostic tool also try cleaning out the egr and its pipe work this type of gunge build up is common on older diesels the resonator seals are also worth checking for leaks.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 09:08   #3
myshed

Thankou Simmy,
I've had a couple of these v70 d5s over the past 12 years or so, and whilst I have been ok to work on them as needed, I've never found out where the EGR is located, nor the Resonator - would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Emmisions are fine, with last MoT just a couple of weeks ago.

I couldn't get the pic to appear on my post, although the link appeared, so sorry about that - clearly need to do a bit more work here!
myshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 10:44   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

first determine if your engine is e3 or e4 then do a you tube search to find detailed instructions on the egr cleanout sirobb has lots of y tube vids on the e3 engine and its workings e4 is very similar with a few differences a picture or vid is worth more than words and you can replay it in the garage on the laptop .if you are unsure what parts look like search on ebay for said part as most sellers post multiple pictures but for the best views look on vida parts catalogue

Last edited by Simmy; Dec 2nd, 2023 at 10:48.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote