Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New model XC60 due any time soon

Views : 3598

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2015, 19:37   #11
dty

How on earth does active cruise control work on a manual gearbox? Surely it's just going to stall at the first sign of trouble?
dty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 19:46   #12
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dty View Post
How on earth does active cruise control work on a manual gearbox? Surely it's just going to stall at the first sign of trouble?
If it works like my son's Golf then, on detecting a vehicle within the defined forward distance, the cruise control deactivates. Once the detected vehicle moves away, it re-engages. It's not as sophisticated on a manual car, the principle limitation being that if a gear-change is required due to excessive slowing, the cruise control needs to be manually re-engaged. I think I am right on this, but I am sure others will elaborate further. If I did a lot of rush-hour motorway commuting, the geartronic would be a must, but I live in the middle of nowhere and try to use motorways at off-peak times.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 20:24   #13
AngloScot
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I went to the US for the first time last year. The only Volvo type I saw out there was the XC90. I think the XC60 was too small for Americans!

I am sure someone will come up with the latest news on the XC60 but I would guess next year at the earliest, maybe 2017. Don't beat yourself up, just go for the car you want.
I was lucky enough to be in America twice last year. First time was Florida and I saw a fair few XC60's. I remember it well because when we returned to the UK I picked up my new XC60. Later in the year we did a road-trip up the west coast and again we saw a fair number of XC60's.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 20:42   #14
Hicksy92

Thought the new model was 2017
Hicksy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 09:11   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

People here have been saying next year for several years now, I guess it has to be right at some point - though when that will be is anyone's guess

The existing XC90 will be almost 13 years old before the new model hits the street and if that strategy is applied there is a lot of life in the current XC60. Also as the sales of the XC60 are growing without the discounts that have been applied to keep the XC90 going, why would Volvo replace the XC60 until they absolutely have to?
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 09:14   #16
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I possibly got the wrong end of the stick here. Were you talking an entirely new version of the car or simply the annual update where slight refinements take place? You probably have answers for both.

Angloscot - I was in Florida this time last year, feeling sad now as it was a great holiday and it will be a few years until we can go again. It was just after I had placed my order for my XC60 so thought I may see a few, knowing that Americans like a big car. What I did not expect so graphically was that they like a REALLY big car. I genuinely did not see any XC60's, it was the XC90 only. My trip was hardly representative though and it is good to hear that the XC60 is seen over there as well in good numbers.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 09:33   #17
swishtony
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I went to the US for the first time last year. The only Volvo type I saw out there was the XC90. I think the XC60 was too small for Americans!

I am sure someone will come up with the latest news on the XC60 but I would guess next year at the earliest, maybe 2017. Don't beat yourself up, just go for the car you want.
I was in Westport, CT last year (going again in a few weeks:-)) and the amount of XC60's I saw was amazing. Sure, plenty of 90's but way more 60's in that area. It is one of the richest towns in the US so it must say something for the quality and desirability of the XC60!
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 10:11   #18
Harvey1512
Premier Member

This is going to be one those instances where every reply highlights the number of XC60's in the US and I am the only muppet to drive around with his eyes shut not seeing them. Ha ha. I accept my daftness and I promise to open my eyes whilst driving next time I get across there.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 11:37   #19
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I've had a spreadsheet going for two years ! I am also the sales executive's worst nightmare.
I forgot to mention the X-Trail. Naff 130bhp engine and no active cruise control. The 'safety systems' read very well, but when you dig down, the cruise control is basic and simple.
That's the spirit! We took well over a year to chose and order....actually nearly shook on a CX-5 (nice drive....if dodgy stop-start), was concerned at the lack of DAB (available now), but the Sales Exec made an agreeable part-ex offer, we 'agreed' the deal, then he wandered off to speak with his boss and came back having to reduce his offer by £1,000.....I gave him the chance to reconsider, he declined, I said goodbye!
Never regretted it, the Volvo was a league above (a little more expensive, but so much better quality!). Still loving the DSP features - great car!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 12:25   #20
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Mike - I was in a similar place with the CX-5. Drove very well but the lack of DAB at the time did it for me as I listen to various sports channels on the radio and DAB is a must in order to be able to hear them. That plus the horribly plastic steering wheel finished me off. Still a very good car although the XC60 is definitely a step up in class.