Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can a normal petrol tank be installed on the CNG?

Views : 3455

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2023, 19:16   #1
dikidera

Default Can a normal petrol tank be installed on the CNG?

So I have a CNG S60. I have a serious question, can a normal petrol fuel tank be installed?

I know that the Necam system actually operates the petrol fuel as well, which is a damn bummer when I learned this. That there was no fuel pump, no PEM.

But I also read that the s60 cng/lpg have a different body and I wonder if it permits the retrofit/installation of a normal/regular S60 fuel tank?

I was thinking of converting my NA Denso car to Turbo with bosch, but the Necam system is severely limiting me, after consulting the wiring diagram, the difference between Denso and Bosch is more with the engine wiring harness and could be replaced with one from S60T5, but the lack of a normal fuel tank with fuel pump is the problem.

This isn't as crazy as it sounds, people have turned a Tesla into a ICE car.

Last edited by dikidera; Feb 11th, 2023 at 19:33.
dikidera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 23:48   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

yes a few folk have converted teslas to v8s in America. dont know of any in the uk
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 10:54   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It is not going to be a bolt in job as the CNG cars have a special floor pan
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 14:08   #4
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

If like the V70 I saw, it's simply a different mount. Straight swap.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Feb 21st, 2023 at 14:12.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 10:19   #5
dikidera

For now the project is underway. The only crucial element left is the wiring harness loom from a 2.5T2 or 2.4T5, since they are identical.

The bifuel fuel pump has no PEM module, and the pump itself may not be the same, but I think this is a very small issue to correct.

I have nothing to lose, as with many people with these engines, I blew a headgasket, which blew my radiator.
From there the head would have needed machining, but so would the block.
I have heard many horror stories of bifuel blocks having the headgaskets pressed into them. The explanation was that LPG and CNG burn hotter, which in turns makes the blocks more malleable, causing the headgasket to sink in the block or something like that.

I have almost finished with taking the engine apart, but I am rather worried about disconnecting the CNG lines, I am hoping that the valves on the CNG tank are closed and I would not have leaks. The tank is almost empty, but not quite.

As for everyone being worried about the software side and modules, the CEM 2005+ is modular, it is equipped to handle all possible engine configurations with a configuration change.

Last edited by dikidera; Feb 22nd, 2023 at 10:25.
Old Mar 18th, 2023, 08:39   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Working with the high-pressure lines: if the tank valves were faulty you'd know by now!
Old Mar 18th, 2023, 10:04   #7
dikidera

Well time flies by so fast. I have not yet done the changes as I had a hard time finding particular parts.

When I had found a few of them I thought this took waaay too long and had decided if the block is alright to just get back my car, unfortunately the block was indeed warped as I had suspected.

So now I have to take it out and replace it either way.

The CNG tank will have to wait a while for the important repairs.
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 20:29   #8
v70ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikidera View Post
Well time flies by so fast. I have not yet done the changes as I had a hard time finding particular parts.

When I had found a few of them I thought this took waaay too long and had decided if the block is alright to just get back my car, unfortunately the block was indeed warped as I had suspected.

So now I have to take it out and replace it either way.

The CNG tank will have to wait a while for the important repairs.
Hi dikidera,
How is it going, any update on this? Did you replace the petrol tank along with a fuel pump?
I am surprised the fuel pump was so much different and also surprised it wasn't apparently a big issue?

(I deleted CNG from a 2001 V70 recently. They removed 3 CNG cylinders and the filler pipe. I don't know if they did anything else like blanking anything etc. The petrol tank is still the same old ~30L. Strangely, kerb weight increased 1635->1665 kg.)

-Ed
v70ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 11:36   #9
mcfe

Could be a difficult problem to tackle.
mcfe is offline   Reply With Quote