Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Hong Kong import

Views : 1085

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2023, 17:10   #1
Jackberai

Default Volvo Hong Kong import

I am looking at buying an imported Volvo S90. I have messaged the chap and he tells me the following:

"I migrated to this country with my family last year and bought this with me as i love this car so much. I am the first owner and it is a car from the official volvo dealer. However, i found that it's better to drive a smaller car here so i am selling it now. I am not familiar with the regulation here as the car has just passed the MOT but i haven't bought the road tax yet. You may do a test if you are ok with it. I am in Warwick and you may come anytime at your convenience."

"It is from hongkong. I am sure there is no problem as no modification has been made and it passed all the procedures when i imported it last year.An experienced agency helped me with all the tests and documents. I was driving it since it arrived for a year. What it needs are just road tax and insurance to continue driving on the road."

Beside mechanical checks etc, are there any other checks (legal or otherwise) that I need to perform to ensure I don't buy into any hidden liabilities??

The prices seems more than reasonable, at least a couple of grand what other similar models are going for. I thought this might be a reflection of it's imported status, so I'm not overly worried by this.

It's has past two MOT's in the UK and has done limited mileage in the intervening time. It's 6 years old and has done about 60,000 miles.

Any thoughts on what to watch out for?!

Thanks

Jon
Jackberai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 18:31   #2
Moose Test
Master Member

If you've not done so already, I'd get a quote from your current/preferred insurer. Some might not enjoy the imported status and reflect it in their in their premium.

We're all grown ups and make our our decisions r.e. risk but don't forget that if the vehicle is without valid tax and something should happen during a test drive which attracts the attention of the local constabulary, you are the one they will prosecute.

Also, I'm not sure what the position is r.e. driving a car which is uninsured, even if your own policy covers third party temporary/emergency use (and not all do these days automatically). Maybe ok, maybe not. I'd assure myself of the position before test driving as the potential consequences are far more serious than a NIP for no road tax.
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 19:15   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

Oh, and thinking about, one more very obvious thing: probably best to do your due diligence on whether this individual is legally permitted to sell the vehicle.

If it's not teaching you to suck eggs, do get a finance check at the very least. And if they really are the first owner, who purchased from a main dealer, I'd expect them to be able to present you with a reasonably plausible invoice too. No-one spends that kind of money without keeping the receipt.
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 20:15   #4
Forg

In my experience, be wary of "good condition" cars imported from Hong Kong. I've looked at a grand-total of three in my life, they may have been fine mechanically but they were all about as battered & tattered as you can get without the damage stopping the car from being drivable ... "death of a thousand cuts" as it were.

One was a B230FT 960GLE, which they never sold here in Australia so I was quite excited to find one! Took one look at it on the street & 'phoned the owner, "sorry I've just bought something else so won't be able to make it today".
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 07:48   #5
Jackberai

I've checked the insurance and that's all ok but good point about the purchase documentation. I will drop him an email (the owner) before I travel up.

I was thinking of getting an AA check but not sure how they would get around the no tax situation. I will make a phone call to them.

Strange he has not taxed the vehicle as he must be aware people would want to test drive it!

Thanks

Jon
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 23:15   #6
volvosam

He has paid a LOT of money to ship the car from HK to the UK because he "loves it", yet once it is here he does not use it, does not tax it and is now selling it. And he did 60k miles in it whilst in HK; one of the most congested places on the planet.
It does not add up.
volvosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2023, 12:17   #7
Jackberai

I guess when you look at it like that, it does appear a bit odd!!

I've also noted on the MOT history between 31/08/202 and 14/11/2023 the vehicle had done 4k+ miles.

So the vehicle has been used but surely he has not been driving it without tax for over a year!!

I have raised this query directly with him!The AA inspection is schedule for this Thursday so I can still cancel this without cost.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by Jackberai; Nov 27th, 2023 at 12:35.
Old Nov 27th, 2023, 18:00   #8
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Does the AA inspection also include verifying the 'paperwork' for things like ownership, correct importation, history etc?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 08:15   #9
Jackberai

Hi Dave,

It doesn't cover that kind of stuff, just the mechanics of the vehicle.

He has sent me the orginal purchase invoice from VOLVO (Hong Kong) and also the importantion documentation.

I will obviously have a good look at these when I meet him.

The TAX situation has been cleared up, this was part of the services provided Vehicle registration services LTD (the import company).

Up to now, I have no concerns but I will continue with my due diligence.

Thanks
Jon
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 14:32   #10
unseen

Would it need to be undersealed (or is that just cars imported from Japan)?
unseen is offline   Reply With Quote