Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non Genuine brakes - Volvo Selekt

Views : 2363

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2023, 09:41   #1
YoY

Default Non Genuine brakes - Volvo Selekt

Hello Volvo Community,

I’m a newcomer here and have found this forum to be an invaluable resource. I’m reaching out for the first time with a question about an issue I’ve encountered with my Volvo XC90.

In September 2022, I purchased a second-hand Volvo XC90 from a Volvo Selekt site. After nine months of use, I began to notice a strange noise originating from the front axle. A local garage confirmed that the noise was due to non-genuine brakes and pads on the front axle, although they assured me there were no safety issues.

I’m trying to understand my rights in this situation. I assumed that when purchasing a Volvo car from a Volvo branch, all parts would be genuine, especially given their extensive check-ups. Had I known the car had non-genuine brakes, I would have reconsidered my purchase. I feel this detail was not disclosed to me and could have significantly influenced my decision.

Additional Information:

1. The issue was identified during a service at another Volvo garage. They immediately attributed the noise to the non-genuine parts and estimated a cost of £1500 plus labor to replace them with genuine parts.
2. I lodged a complaint with Volvo customer support. After a 10-week wait, they responded that the issue was not with Volvo, but with the garage that sold me the car.
3. The garage that sold me the car responded officially, stating that my complaint was not valid. They claimed that they had checked the car and were not obligated to inform me about the non-genuine parts, as long as they met safety criteria.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this situation.
Has anyone else experienced something similar or have any advice to offer?

Thank you in advance for your help.
YoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 10:41   #2
Krh134

The garage is only obligated to sell the car in a roadworthy and safe condition, this would only be the case if the pads are worn beyond the minimum thickness or if the pads did not meet the ECE R90 standard. So I do not think you have a case.
Krh134 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krh134 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 10:51   #3
griston64
Premier Member

I would agree with the above. Volvo Selekt carries out the checks but wouldn't replace parts unless it needed doing.

What age is the car and how many miles has it done ? When they say non genuine are they referring to the callipers and pads ?

What is the £1500.00 quote to replace ? It's typically ridiculous sounding quote from a main stealer !!
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 11:32   #4
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

I've never heard of a dealer or even a high street garage automatically replacing safe, serviceable parts as part of a pre-sales service just because they were non-genuine.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 12:15   #5
YoY

Tnx for the answers!

My question here is about the fact they did not mentioned it at all, while I suggest they should.

Volvo explicitly suggest not to use aftermarket parts but on the other hand they sold me one like that. I would expect it will come in the check up and I would have this in hand to take decision.

I thought that going through Volvo Selekt means you avoid cases exactly from that kind
Otherwise in what they are different from any High street car reseller like Car Giant?

About the price this was the quote I got from my garage for replacing pads and callipers to new genuine parts. If you can share what will be a reasonable price it will be amazing
YoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 12:51   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoY View Post
Tnx for the answers!

My question here is about the fact they did not mentioned it at all, while I suggest they should.

Volvo explicitly suggest not to use aftermarket parts but on the other hand they sold me one like that. I would expect it will come in the check up and I would have this in hand to take decision.

I thought that going through Volvo Selekt means you avoid cases exactly from that kind
Otherwise in what they are different from any High street car reseller like Car Giant?

About the price this was the quote I got from my garage for replacing pads and callipers to new genuine parts. If you can share what will be a reasonable price it will be amazing
on the SELEKT check they just measure the pad material left, It would be very difficult to tell what they were once covered with dirt and brake dust. They would have given it a road test and if the brakes were noisy they would have reported it. Otherwise no other action is viable.

It would be a different case altogether if they had found the pads worn and fitted Non-Volvo pads before you took delivery. It sounds like they quoted you for pads AND discs.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 13:18   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoY View Post
Tnx for the answers!

What age is the car as If it's only three or four years old I cant understand why it has had the calipers replaced by non Volvo ones already ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 13:57   #8
TeamG
Master Member

Why replace the calipers? You do occasionally get a noise (clunk) when aftermarket pads are a little loose fitting, particularly if you reverse, then go forwards or vice versa. I had this on a V50 rear after buying used and it was solved by replacing the pads only with new (albeit still aftermarket) pads.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 14:02   #9
Krh134

I suspect Car Giant do not include 12 months warranty and breakdown cover.
Krh134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 15:10   #10
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Just re-reading this, I'm not sure where calipers come into it, but I would imagine that if they were being replaced you might be looking at a heftier bill than if it was just pads and discs. Calipers should have a very long life compared to pads and discs.

Tags
brakes xc90 help, genuine volvo parts, xc90 2019