Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Hazard lights

Views : 1427

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 08:20   #1
MickeyK

Default V40 Hazard lights

Hi there,

Hazard warning lights on my v40 refuse to work, indicators still do. Garage have changed the hazard switch, relay and checked the fuses - still no luck. The seat belt warning sound/light seems somehow connected - if I press the Hazard switch it stops the seatbelt warning sound and flashing light?? Are these connected? Can anyone suggest anything? Garage is unsure of what to try next!!!
MickeyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 08:59   #2
Liberty555

Hi

The little tick tick noise you get with the indicators uses the same sounder as the seat belt warning, thats why it stops when you hit the hazards. The seat belt sounder works at twice the frequency as the normal indicator - the same frequency as when you've blown an indicator globe...

Hope this clarifies it - I think its just the same relay, thats all.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 09:32   #3
Enigma666
Master Member

Also if you're activating the hazards and its effecting the ticker then that means the circuit is working....
I'm assuming the bulbs have been checked?
If yes then it sound slike a bad connection somewhere
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:25   #4
YouNeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma666 View Post
I'm assuming the bulbs have been checked?
Well, he said the indicators are still working, which means the bulbs are working.
YouNeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:40   #5
Enigma666
Master Member

Not 100% sure how the wiring diagram looks for this but would guess then that the hazards are wired into the indicator wiring maybe?
Perhaps one of the connections to the switch is faulty?
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 21:59   #6
avx

I found this diagram for you. I hope will be useful! Best!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TP3945202_us_119.pdf (385.8 KB, 53 views)
avx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 18:24   #7
alek

Thumbs up try this...

Hi,

I have a 1.6 S40 1999 Reg. Had a similar problem last year. In addition to hazards not working, heater blower fan inside the car stopped, side lights also stopped working but main, dipped lights and left/right indicators were fine. I traced the problem to a wiring loom that runs from the relay / fuse box in the engine bay to the fuse box inside the car. Some genius at Volvo thought it would be a good idea to run the loom under the radiator! Over time as the rad vibrates and comes in contact with the loom it cuts through the insulation and lets water into the loom. The copper corrodes and breaks. All this is very well hidden under the rad and initially its all intermittent until the loom brakes completely. Watch out for any other electrics failing soon.

To check if this is the problem use a multimeter and connect one lead via a loooong lead to Fuse 2 in the engine fuse box, the other lead to fuse 8 in the internal fuse box then check the continuity and resistance of the loom. FYI, the loom is Red and about 4mm diameter, it can be seen with a small mirror if you lie under the radiator and look up at the tray that protects it. Volvo know about this but have not issued a recall. It cost me 136 gbp at the main dealer who said he knows the problem well and fixed at least 4 of these in the last year. I wrote a nasty letter to Volvo UK to complain and they sent me a voucher for 100 pounds! The repair would have been minimum 200 pounds if I had not told them where the problem was and they had to trouble shoot.

Good luck,

Alek
alek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alek For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 14:00   #8
MiranicePaul

Angry Hazards not working

Hi there, I had an alarming problem last winter; my headlights stopped working whilst I was driving along a country road at 5am and the problem was found to be exactly the same as yours, viz the loom under the radiator. My hazards are not working and my indicators only work unless the hazard light switch is depressed, a bit like me! :-( ,and I think I may have the same problem again with the loom. I think I may write to Volvo UK as well. Thanks a lot for all the advice.
MiranicePaul is offline   Reply With Quote