Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80: P3 vs P2?

Views : 940

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2021, 11:56   #1
280E

Default S80: P3 vs P2?

Hi Guys,

Having previously owned two P2 S80s (both 170PS petrol autos), I've been looking at the P3 version.

I've not looked round/sat in/driven one as yet, so just going off photos & reviews thus far. Budget is probably limited to the early incarnation.

I'm a bit undecided about the looks - particularly from the front - it doesn't seem as 'sorted' as the P2 (maybe I'm just a sucker for headlight wipers!). The interior of course looks a fair bit more modern, but then again that 'floating console' looks a bit odd to me - maybe better 'in the flesh'?

Engine-wise the diesels seem a bit better, but sometimes additional complexity has its downside once out of warranty?? Punitive road tax on the petrol models limits their appeal.

So can current or previous owners of the P2/P3 models give a brief summary of pros and cons? The P2s I had were a bit like a comfortable pair of slippers that you really should have thrown out ages ago - but maybe sometimes you have to move on

Thanks,
David
280E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 14:02   #2
kdst5

I can't say about the S80 but I owned a early P2 V70 T5 with high mileage and now have a late P3 V70 D5 with low mileage. Due to the mileage difference I am not sure I can give a fair comparison as the P2 needed quite a bit of regular maintenance but the P3 has really only had the normal services + a bit of warranty work.

There is not much I miss about the P2 but that might not be the case if I had the an early P3. The P3 I have has the colour display + TFT instrument, Bluetooth, parking sensors front and rear, rear camera, heated seats, heated front screen, drive support pack etc. none of which I had on the P2 even if some of that was an option on the P2 which some of the above is on the P3. So because of that it seems a world apart from the old P2. It also has the 215BHP twin turbo version D5 which makes it just as quick as the old T5 in the real world.

The floating dash in the the later P3 is different to the earlier one and I think the later one is better and more logically laid out.

So what do I miss in the P2? Well it seemed a bit more solid in some respects but my guess would be that in a crash the P3 would be better. The seats in the P2 I think were slightly more comfortable but then there is more leg room in the back of the P3 so my children would probably disagree. Also most of the P3 on sale at the time were dull colours with dark interiors. The cream interior of my old P2 is probably the thing I miss the most.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 16:42   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280E View Post
Hi Guys,

Having previously owned two P2 S80s (both 170PS petrol autos), I've been looking at the P3 version.

I've not looked round/sat in/driven one as yet, so just going off photos & reviews thus far. Budget is probably limited to the early incarnation.

I'm a bit undecided about the looks - particularly from the front - it doesn't seem as 'sorted' as the P2 (maybe I'm just a sucker for headlight wipers!). The interior of course looks a fair bit more modern, but then again that 'floating console' looks a bit odd to me - maybe better 'in the flesh'?

Engine-wise the diesels seem a bit better, but sometimes additional complexity has its downside once out of warranty?? Punitive road tax on the petrol models limits their appeal.

So can current or previous owners of the P2/P3 models give a brief summary of pros and cons? The P2s I had were a bit like a comfortable pair of slippers that you really should have thrown out ages ago - but maybe sometimes you have to move on

Thanks,
David
I own a P3 S80. I haven't driven a P2 S80, but I've driven a P2 V70 (never owned one though). These are similar cars, apart from one is an estate & the other isn't. I've driven the P2 enough to be able to offer an opinion, I feel anyway.

I felt squashed in the P2 being honest... the newer P3 seems far roomier, rear leg room is better for sure. The P3 is a bigger car, so that may explain why.

As for the interior, I prefer the P3... its much more modern.

I've often heard that the P2's were very well built, I don't deny that. I can't fault the build quality of the P3 either being honest. My Dad has a V70 P3 with nearly 160k on it & it feels really solid & sturdy. Yes, we did replace the shock absorbers recently on both the front & rear on it, but even beforehand, the car did not feel like it had 160k on it. My car (P3 S80) has just shy of 104k on it & it feels very solid too.

One thing I have noticed in the P3's is the seats are comfortable, but I don't find them particularly supportive around bends. I find you kind of shuffle in the seat around the corners... I'd much prefer if there was better side bolster support.

Suspension wise, P3's probably aren't as robust as the P2's (from what I've heard). Upper top mounts probably will need replacing at some point, as will the rear sub frame bushes.

As for the interior layout, its very easy to operate. Everything seems to be in the right place & seems well bolted together.

I think the P3's are great cars. Yes, there's Ford underpinnings, but I still feel that they're a very comfortable cruiser. P2's no doubt are great cars too, but from my experience driving them, they feel a bit dated for my liking & space is tight for such a big car (in terms of leg room). I much prefer the more modern interior & the extra space.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 22:34   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The P2 cars are simpler and more robust. That's not to say the P3's aren't good cars - they are.

But these days the issue is that any P2 car is going to be circa 15 years old or more and that brings its own problems...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 07:16   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Not had S80’s in either guise, but have had a couple of pre-facelift P2 V70’s and now have the first of the euro5 P3 V70s.

Both cars have been well north of 150k miles so a similar comparison. Working on the P3 it does seem to have the Ford influence here and there, mostly underneath on hidden bits but that said it is a well built solid car.
I find it more comfortable and supportive that the P2 (it’s an r-design, so may have different seats than the usual version). The waterfall centre console is a bit of an odd idea, however it has a very similar layout to the P2 cars, so the buttons fall more or less to hand. Don’t like the lack of temperature gauge on the dash, I occasionally use an eml327 dongle to check the coolant temperature.

Whoever designed the layout of the engine decided to put the thermostat round the back of the engine, it’s a massive job to change (E5 engine).

The P3’s have a fair appetite for diesel as well, at least compared to the euro 3 P2s

Still got a couple of niggles to sort out on mine, bought last summer, however would I go back to a P2 - doubt it unless I could find a special very late T5 or R at sensible money.
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 08:34   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post

Whoever designed the layout of the engine decided to put the thermostat round the back of the engine, it’s a massive job to change (E5 engine).

The P3’s have a fair appetite for diesel as well, at least compared to the euro 3 P2s
^^^ That...

The larger Volvo engines shoehorned into a Ford platform that was never designed for them makes for some awkward spannering. Some jobs on the S40/V50 platform with T5 or D5 5 cylinder lumps are plain frustrating compared to the same tasks on a P2 car.

The E3 D5 was the most economical and smoothest engine, I still rate it as the best diesel engine fitted to a passenger car. But it was emissions regulations that meant it had to get less refined and ironically less economical.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 16:37   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Yes, the thermostat is in an awful place on the euro 5 engines. Not that its a common failure, but if you want to steer clear of hundreds in labour to have it replaced or cut knuckles, buy a euro 4 model (2007-2008). I think the euro 5 engines come in around 2009 (59 plate onwards here in the UK).

Another thing to bare in mind is the euro 5 models (59 plate onwards) have twin turbo's in the D5 models (205bhp & 215bhp I believe). This reduces the road tax slightly & you'll have plenty of power underneath your foot. The slightly older euro 4 185bhp version can shift too though, but the road tax is more expensive.

One other thing I'd mention once again is suspension. Some P3's come with the 4c system with buttons inside to change your ride preference (Sport, Comfort & Advanced). This is a very good system, but if the shocks do need replacing at some point, be prepared because its very expensive. There's aftermarket options out there, but Volvo charge circa £500 plus per shock absorber.