Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 possible issue ticking when accelerating

Views : 534

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2020, 15:03   #1
Volvonewb1

Default V60 possible issue ticking when accelerating

Hi all I'm a first time volvo owner. I bought a 2017 volvo v60 d3 r design luxe nav auto a month ago and I love it. Its got 38000 miles on it and been fully serviced. I noticed today that when I'm turning left or right at a junction and start to accelerate out of a corner it seems to make a ticking noise in the lower gears and once the car straightens up and gets in a higher gear it stops. Any ideas about this issue would be much appreciated.
Volvonewb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 16:11   #2
Chrisv60

These sorts of noises are usually driveshaft or cv joint related. It seems a bit low mileage for them to be failing, I presume the rubber boots protecting them are intact.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 16:29   #3
JamesAtthews

Hi

Ibe noticed a similar noise on mine. The boots are ok, but my suspicion, as having had other high milers before and not had failing cv joints, is that it's the spines that the driveshafts slide into the gearbox. There are lots of little clicks, rather than fewer clicks, as there are 6 balls in the cv joint, which would give a lower number of clicks from the driving conditions that I experience.

I'd be interested to hear more from others.

Cheers

James
JamesAtthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 16:50   #4
Volvonewb1

Thanks for the reply guys. Ive just had a quick look at the cv joints both sides of the car and at the gear box end and wheel end the boots look intact with no grease showing, they all look dry as a bone.
I've taken the car for another spin and you can plainly hear with all the windows down the car clicking (quite a fast click fast) when accelerating from a left or right junction, the harder the acceleration the louder the click. But when you accelerate from the same speed in a straight line there's no clicking at all.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 16:51   #5
Volvonewb1

Is this a common fault with v60?
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 17:07   #6
JamesAtthews

That's what I get, straight on full chat and noise, but towards full lock, lots of clicking. I really think its noise from the splined interface between the driveshaft and the gearbox. I'll be having a look at this next weekend to see if it dry splines. From experience with bikes, they can make all sorts of odd noises.
JamesAtthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 17:17   #7
Volvonewb1

Sounds identical to mine, luckily I'm under warranty its just nice to have an idea of what the issue might be when I take it back so the dealer doesn't try and rip me off haha. Let me know what you find when you look at yours. Cheers.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 18:51   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

I’d put my money on driveshafts as bee as it’s clicking/ticking when pulling away while turning. Get them checked

TT