Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Atf change cost 😮

Views : 959

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2020, 20:31   #11
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb2411 View Post
did you notice a difference or was it preventive maintenance?
I have always changed it every 2 years from new as I do a considerable amount of towing to shows and is a Volvo recommended for hard use. Consequently the transmission has always been silky smooth. Not towed at all this year but will still get the fluid changed. I agree with everybody that 'sealed for life' is a nonsense. Oil is the life blood of the car but unlike blood it is not constantly being replaced.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 23:28   #12
Adrian888

The notion of reliable long lasting robust Volvo and sealed for life is a bit of an oxymoron. Volvo would have been better making the ATF change a mileage related item and much easier to do.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 00:49   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
The notion of reliable long lasting robust Volvo and sealed for life is a bit of an oxymoron. Volvo would have been better making the ATF change a mileage related item and much easier to do.
Volvo do suggest changing the fluid if the vehicle is used for towing, or for arduous use like a taxi for example. If you refer to your manual, it should mention this. Note, plenty of other manufacturer's have transmission's that they also imply never need to be serviced under normal use. The Volvo manual doesn't actually say that the transmission is "sealed for life".

"Sealed for life" is a term that is used because many don't use vehicles for towing etc, so they never bother to change the fluid because it isn't suggested in the manual (Volvo don't suggest it either, under normal use). In fact, many Volvo dealerships don't actually do transmission fluid servicing! Staff dismiss it immediately by saying the transmission is "sealed for life" or "maintenance free", when really they should be asking is the vehicle used for towing or as a taxi because according to the manual, it definitely needs to be changed under those uses. Many staff at dealerships don't even bother to ask the customer for what purpose their car is used for. It appears that many dealerships are under the same illusion that the fluid never needs to be changed, but I guess, a fluid change for a car used "normally" (not towing etc) is not stated in the manual & won't be on any service bulletins. If its not stated in in either of those, many dealerships don't even recommend it. **Some do, but not all.

I agree that a transmission fluid change should be a mileage related item, not just for cars that tow etc, but for cars that are used "normally". It should be across the Volvo network, so all garages tell people the same thing (wishful thinking I know). The other side to this is the point that people should know that the fluid needs to be changed themselves, simply as good maintenance. Given that many people don't even lift the bonnet, it doesn't surprise me that the transmission is forgotten about.

I wouldn't say go as far as to say its a hard job to do yourself as such, but you do need some equipment (transmission fluid, jacks & jack stands (or ramps), a socket set or at a minimum the socket required to undo the drain/fill plug etc).

If you car is under warranty, then its best to get a Volvo main dealer or a local independent garage to do the job. You don't want to void your warranty, in case something does go wrong in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
I will look up the indy suggestions, thanks. Have had 2 VAG cars with DSG and both sold at 120k miles without any problems. Regular fluid change every 40k miles and both used for towing a caravan. Having had well over 50 different cars in 40 years, mostly VAG products (and a few Citroens to test my patience) this is my first Volvo and am not overly impressed. Poor dealer experience (downright liers), car has had and still appears to have numerous electrical glitches/faults, panel gaps and fit and finish not as good as my wife’s new SEAT, numb steering/handling and wooden brakes, poor low speed ride quality. Love the hybrid set up, excellent economy, impressive performance/acceleration, fine towing ability, the bells and whistle count and the seats are easily as good as a couple of SAAB’s i once had. But it simply doesnt make me want to drive it in the way so many cars i have owned have and my wifes Seat does.
It sounds to me as if you don't truly like the car... you like some aspects, but most things you don't like. Without stating the obvious, you buy a car to drive it! Based on what you're saying, it seems you've bought the wrong car & didn't research before you bought it (like I said in another thread you posted). Question is, do you really want to spend £400 (for a transmission fluid change) on a car you don't actually "feel like driving" & will probably get rid of the first chance you get?

You've expressed what you think of your Volvo & its a shame you don't truly like the car, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Being a Volvo forum, most people are huge fans of them, but you get people that aren't too. I've read many posts where people have what's called "buyer's remorse" & I suspect this is the case with yourself.

I'm not being rude or intending to be, but maybe you should take heed of what you've said & look for another car. You're considering spending money on a car that you don't feel like driving. I fail to see the point in doing that to be honest, unless you have no option but keep the car for now.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 25th, 2020 at 01:20.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: