Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wet carpets (C70)

Views : 1639

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2020, 21:52   #1
mickeyjaw

Default Wet carpets (C70)

So, the right rear carpet in my 2006 C70 is soaking wet.

Searches here reveal lots of discussion about sunroof drains getting blocked but being a convertible it doesn't have a a sun roof!

Pretty sure the water is coming through the blower vent that's under the driver's seat (put a plate under there for a day and now the plate is wet).

Is this likely to be rain getting in through the vents somehow?

Will it be the A/C drain tube? Should I take the wipers and scuttle panel off and look for ingress there? Is there anywhere else to look?

I've managed to get tomorrow off work and borrow an indoor space to work on the car for the day so any pointers/advice gratefully received.

Obviously I'm going to start with removing the carpet.

Oh also: The woofers in the doors (Dynaudio) aren't working AT ALL and the mid-range cones in the doors sound crackly. Swear it wasn't like this before! Could this be water in the wiring somehow?
mickeyjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 11:23   #2
iantowil

My 2008 C70 is exactly the same for the first time this year. I hadn't even considered the vent underneath the seat, but thinking about it, the water pattern does seem to stem from there.
Would really appreciate you posting anything you find. Sorry I can't help in any way.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 17:52   #3
mickeyjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantowil View Post
My 2008 C70 is exactly the same for the first time this year. I hadn't even considered the vent underneath the seat, but thinking about it, the water pattern does seem to stem from there.
Would really appreciate you posting anything you find. Sorry I can't help in any way.
Well today I removed the seats and carpets, then re-fited the seats. I also changed the pollen filter, that was dry - was expecting it to be wet.

The foam under the carpet on the driver's side (front and rear) was absolutely dripping wet. Probably > 5 litres in the foam then I removed another 3 litres or so from the floor pan!

I'm going to drive it around with no carpet and half of the interior trim missing for the next week or so while the carpet dries indoors. Hopefully having a relatively bare interior will help me spot where the water is coming in from...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickeyjaw For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 18:56   #4
mickeyjaw

Pictures of the water. Hard to see, but all of that wiring in the rear footwell was about 2 inches under water...

Last edited by mickeyjaw; Oct 30th, 2020 at 18:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to mickeyjaw For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 20:55   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I would be looking at the rear drain holes either side of the boot lid. I wonder if they are blocked and water's ending up there somehow. Seems more likely than the ac vent to me. (I used to run an MX 5 and blocked drains there meant water went anywhere and everywhere it damn well wanted - most damagingly inside the sills!)
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 08:40   #6
Wgl2020

Check the intake for the heating and ventilation system, not sure of the setup on the C70 but other cars I've had in the past have a foam gasket that breaks down over time and let's water in.

Also even though the water ends up in one part of the car doesn't always mean that is where the leak is. On my C30 a leak from the boot area worked its way right through to the pedals!
Wgl2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 20:24   #7
PNM

Have a look at the AC drainage... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=255776
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 11:57   #8
iantowil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM View Post
That link seems to explain the water pattern I have. Many thanks.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 14:08   #9
mickeyjaw

Quick update:

AC drain seemed clear.

Emptied the boot, boot carpet found to be wet.

Poured water on the back windscreen. Roof drain on driver's side found to be clogged, water was finding it's way under the back seat, under the black metal part, route indicated by red arrow in first image.

Removed and cleaned both roof drain tubes, gave them a quick 10 minute soak in some bleach for good luck.

Second image shows how the drain tube looks, it routes water to the wheel arch. The one is this photo is the passenger side one (which wasn't clogged but I cleaned anyway.

Third and fourth pictures show the location of the drain tube and how to access it (drivers side one shown in these photos).

Have now dried the inside to the best of my ability, waiting for it to rain again now so I can see if that was the only source of ingress or if there's anywhere else that water is also getting in!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WaterRoute.jpg (284.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DrainTube.jpg (232.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DrainTubeLocation1.jpg (215.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DrainTubeLocation2.jpg (258.1 KB, 25 views)
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 14:18   #10
mickeyjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
I would be looking at the rear drain holes either side of the boot lid. I wonder if they are blocked and water's ending up there somehow. Seems more likely than the ac vent to me. (I used to run an MX 5 and blocked drains there meant water went anywhere and everywhere it damn well wanted - most damagingly inside the sills!)
Yep, that was the one - drivers side drain was blocked!
The Following User Says Thank You to mickeyjaw For This Useful Post: