Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aux belt and servicing times XC50 D5

Views : 1325

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 12:16   #11
xc60sun

is there a way to inspect the cambelt?
xc60sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 18:13   #12
MacV50
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
where did you get 3 years from? Aux belt is 54000 MILES or 10 years The MILES are very Important rather than the time.
Dealer

So, wasted £130 getting that done plus whatever it cost me 3 years ago

I'll be bringing that up with them to try to get some money back on the cambelt
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 08:37   #13
thebronze

Default Still can't get a straight answer from dealership

Sadly, I haven't been able to get a straight answer from my dealership who have now mentioned that when they type it into their system it says it should be done every 3 years. I have had it confirmed that it was last done in 2017 at 40k probably when the recall was done. I've now contacted Volvo UK to check. It's not that I don't believe the kind people here - but if it goes, I can't point to a post on here - and there are several places on the internet that say different things. Also if the dealership have said their technician said to replace it and I didn't I will need to have something to back me up. I made a mistake about the Cam Belt, it's not next year but the following year, so I will be going 2 years without having it done from this point forward. I can't believe how much time I've had to waste on this. It's now been left that they will do it unless I ask them not to!
thebronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 12:17   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
Sadly, I haven't been able to get a straight answer from my dealership who have now mentioned that when they type it into their system it says it should be done every 3 years. I have had it confirmed that it was last done in 2017 at 40k probably when the recall was done. I've now contacted Volvo UK to check. It's not that I don't believe the kind people here - but if it goes, I can't point to a post on here - and there are several places on the internet that say different things. Also if the dealership have said their technician said to replace it and I didn't I will need to have something to back me up. I made a mistake about the Cam Belt, it's not next year but the following year, so I will be going 2 years without having it done from this point forward. I can't believe how much time I've had to waste on this. It's now been left that they will do it unless I ask them not to!
The fact they had to check on their system makes things look doubtful , they should know these things from memory doing so many a day / week , unless they are new in which case they should not be answering technical calls.

Try Keith Price Volvo Abergavenny they will advise you properly..

01873 857644
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 23:13   #15
KiwiChris

Default New boy info …..

Hi, I’ve just purchased a well loved 2015 XC60 D5 with 85k kms on it. The previous owner recommended getting the Aux belt changed as a time/mileage served item. My local Volvo dealer is as helpful as an additional hole in the head so I’ve spoken to an independent who has looked after our V40. Initially I enquired about changing the tensioner too. He’s told me that the tensioner would originally been a hydraulic one that’s been superseded by a mechanical item. My question is, Is that correct and are they a straight swap? Thanks very much for any clarity the forum members can offer.
KiwiChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 23:24   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiChris View Post
Hi, I’ve just purchased a well loved 2015 XC60 D5 with 85k kms on it. The previous owner recommended getting the Aux belt changed as a time/mileage served item. My local Volvo dealer is as helpful as an additional hole in the head so I’ve spoken to an independent who has looked after our V40. Initially I enquired about changing the tensioner too. He’s told me that the tensioner would originally been a hydraulic one that’s been superseded by a mechanical item. My question is, Is that correct and are they a straight swap? Thanks very much for any clarity the forum members can offer.
yes a good idea , change the cam belt and tensioner and the Aux belt and tensioner... USE VOLVO PARTS ..
The cambelt tensioner was mechanical initially, up until about 2010 when they fitted a hydraulic tensioner.. then a year or so later there was a Recall conversion to put a mechanical one on again which needed special tools to drill and tap the block for the bolts. Whilst off check the alternator pulley it should drive in one direction and free wheel in the reverse direction. Volvo have been using them for a while but some quality issue with some of them after 2009 This was the main cause of the historic belt breakages .