Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel pressure issues

Views : 1717

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2017, 23:58   #1
Neortic95

Default fuel pressure issues

Hi all, Im new to the forum and new to owning a volvo too. Im hoping someone will be able to shed some light on a problem I have with my V70 D5 185hp 2006.
its covered only 110000 miles with a full history. Ive only had it a few months.

I should also point out that I'm a mechanic of some 25years experience and have access to full diagnostic equipment however this car it giving me somewhat of a headache.

From a day or so after purchase I noticed that it in my opinion was slow to start taking various amounts of cranking to fire, there seemed to be no pattern it was random other than that it ran perfectly loads of power no smoke and returned really good mpg and had no stored faults in the ECM. Then one day it started and ran for a min or two then cut out and wouldn't re-start. I had it recovered to where I work and found that the rail pressure was too low. However after a couple of attempts at starting suddenly it was ok again for a few days then it did it again but this time it would start and idle but if you revved it it would cut out and not restart for at least two hours. So following this I started to go through the usual diag steps. The fuel pressure was slow to rise to its firing pressure of approx 200bar then would be lower than specified at idle it then wouldn't climb fast enough as the revs where increased and eventually cut out. I checked fuel pressure from the tank 6bar and the flow rate is almost 4 litres per min. I did anyway just to eliminate it replace the fuel filter with a genuine volvo one. The fuel pressure out of the HP pump was and instant 1850bar. So I thought the pressure loss must be at the rail as I had also done a leak off test on the injectors and they where fine. I blanked off the injectors from the rail by means of pipe unions and ball bearings and found the pressure was still too low. I first replaced the regulator valve this increased the pressure by 100bar overall but the fault remained so I got a s/h fuel rail and it appeared to fix it but unfortunately the problem has just changed. Now I have good pressure to start and at idle and if driven fairly moderately is fine but when it boosts it will cut out. I stores multiple low fuel pressure faults and won't restart until there are erased. Today I got a known good s/h HP pump mainly out of desperation and although it has improved the starting the fault is still there. Im at a bit of a loss as to why and how the fault has changed and why for such a simple system its proving so difficult to trace the cause. Im hoping someone else has maybe had the same or similar problem. All the other threads Ive read all point to either a filter or tank pump etc but I have eliminated these as the fault. (I have also several times gone back over various steps to recheck my findings)

Any suggestions please ???
Neortic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 00:49   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

All of the above is based on the assumption that the rail pressure sensor is working perfectly and reporting accurate information.
Have you tested it or the wiring separately or do you have the option of trying an alternative?

Also, the injector plugs/wiring looms on the Euro 4 can be problematic so if manipulating them improves things, replace the problem connections.

Graphing fuel, airflow and boost figures may offer clues also.
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 11:27   #3
Neortic95

Upto now I had discounted the pressure sensor as I have a gauge for measuring the rail pressure and compared it to the reading in the ECU and found it to be correct. The initial problem was at low revs and idle however the problem now is at high revs and I haven't checked it again so this week I will substitute it for another and go from there. The problem with the connections to the injectors, would this not show a fault code relating to and electrical fault in circuit to the injector ? I will also have a look at them this week. I have a suspicion that at some point in its life the car has had petrol go through it as each time Ive replaced something its improved but not fixed the issue.

The struggle continues
Neortic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 08:32   #4
gemasus

I'm having similar problem, can you update your problem, how do you solve it?
gemasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 09:50   #5
TANGRA
TANGRA UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neortic95 View Post
Hi all, Im new to the forum and new to owning a volvo too. Im hoping someone will be able to shed some light on a problem I have with my V70 D5 185hp 2006.
its covered only 110000 miles with a full history. Ive only had it a few months.

I should also point out that I'm a mechanic of some 25years experience and have access to full diagnostic equipment however this car it giving me somewhat of a headache.

From a day or so after purchase I noticed that it in my opinion was slow to start taking various amounts of cranking to fire, there seemed to be no pattern it was random other than that it ran perfectly loads of power no smoke and returned really good mpg and had no stored faults in the ECM. Then one day it started and ran for a min or two then cut out and wouldn't re-start. I had it recovered to where I work and found that the rail pressure was too low. However after a couple of attempts at starting suddenly it was ok again for a few days then it did it again but this time it would start and idle but if you revved it it would cut out and not restart for at least two hours. So following this I started to go through the usual diag steps. The fuel pressure was slow to rise to its firing pressure of approx 200bar then would be lower than specified at idle it then wouldn't climb fast enough as the revs where increased and eventually cut out. I checked fuel pressure from the tank 6bar and the flow rate is almost 4 litres per min. I did anyway just to eliminate it replace the fuel filter with a genuine volvo one. The fuel pressure out of the HP pump was and instant 1850bar. So I thought the pressure loss must be at the rail as I had also done a leak off test on the injectors and they where fine. I blanked off the injectors from the rail by means of pipe unions and ball bearings and found the pressure was still too low. I first replaced the regulator valve this increased the pressure by 100bar overall but the fault remained so I got a s/h fuel rail and it appeared to fix it but unfortunately the problem has just changed. Now I have good pressure to start and at idle and if driven fairly moderately is fine but when it boosts it will cut out. I stores multiple low fuel pressure faults and won't restart until there are erased. Today I got a known good s/h HP pump mainly out of desperation and although it has improved the starting the fault is still there. Im at a bit of a loss as to why and how the fault has changed and why for such a simple system its proving so difficult to trace the cause. Im hoping someone else has maybe had the same or similar problem. All the other threads Ive read all point to either a filter or tank pump etc but I have eliminated these as the fault. (I have also several times gone back over various steps to recheck my findings)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_D5_engine
TANGRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 11:56   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neortic95 View Post

Have you checked any leakage from the injector return pipes ? There is a test for this with 5 measuring cylinders .
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:21   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

OP is 5 years old..

not sure why brought back to life with a vague wiki link possibly an error?

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote