Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Handbrake Again

Views : 1807

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 16:43   #11
lynns hubby
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The linings should never wear , if they do something is sticking .. a point to ponder ..
I tend to, every now and again, use my handbrake whilst I am rolling to a standstill. Just to keep the drum clean so as it does not rust internally.
this will obviously put a very minimal wear on the shoes. I have done this on all my Volvos, 240,940 and now the XC70.
I have only ever changed the handbrake shoes once on a 940 due to a clogged axle breather allowing the half shaft seal to leak and contaminate the shoes.
As stated above, with everything free and fitted correctly the handbrake should not be an issue.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 16:55   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
I tend to, every now and again, use my handbrake whilst I am rolling to a standstill. Just to keep the drum clean so as it does not rust internally.
this will obviously put a very minimal wear on the shoes. I have done this on all my Volvos, 240,940 and now the XC70.
I have only ever changed the handbrake shoes once on a 940 due to a clogged axle breather allowing the half shaft seal to leak and contaminate the shoes.
As stated above, with everything free and fitted correctly the handbrake should not be an issue.
I would do the same too , It's never enough to cause any wear .
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 22:37   #13
Turbodave
VOC Member

I bought my current V70 in November with a working handbrake, which duly deteriorated over the new few months to the point where it was useless, offering almost no resistance at all.

Couple of weeks back I ordered the XC90 esque adjusters for the rear shoes along with Apec discs, pads, shoes and a fitting kit. Upon strip down, bits of shoe friction material fell out so the issue appeared obvious.

NSR was built up with no concerns, noted the handbrake cable and caliper looked newer than the OSR however upon doing the OSR, found the cable was pretty much seized solid so replaced that whilst I was in there... bit of a faff.

To adjust I backed off the 10mm nut at the handbrake (before stripping the discs off initially) and then with the XC90 adjusters wound right in (and greased) I adjusted up the cable at the handbrake until one side was dragging, then backed it off two turns then fine tuned each side with the adjusters.

Handbrake is now spot on, holds within 3 clicks and is balanced fine. Certainly no concerns with the Apec parts, though I wouldn't mix and match brands and for the cost, I don't think I'd just fit shoes. Belt and braces seems to be the only sure fire way of getting it working.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 10:42   #14
Balistaff

Default Handbrake Cable Metal ring Crimping?

Perhaps this should be on a new thread, but it seems related. I replaced my hand brake shoes (and retaining springs) a couple of years ago and I do limited mileage in my (automatic) V70 (53-Plate); so I was surprised to hear that the car failed on the Handbrake (e-brake) pressure during an MOT in Feb-2020.

After seeing the cable has been adjusted fully where the lever is, I assumed it's the cables that had stretched on a near 17-year-old car,...

So I replace the handbrake cables on both sides and whilst doing so, I can see there is some wear on the brake shoes, but I didn't think significant. I returned for an MOT re-test, just before lock-down and again the handbrake (on one side) was poor and the garage tightened the adjustment on the handbrake leaver to max, so the car would pass,...I think they did me a bit of a favour!

Anywho, I now have more shoes (and springs) to replace again, so we'll see what happens.

However my question is regarding the replacement handbrake cable (Pagid) and what look like metal rings that need to be crimped. I've contacted Pagid weekly for the past four weeks and no reply (probably on furlough?) to see if they could advise. The metal rings are on the grommets that go through the bulkhead into the cabin, where the rear passenger foot wells are. I've uploaded pictures of both. Any idea what I use to crimp them and if it's even required? Thanks in advance.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album...ictureid=11316

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album...ictureid=11317

I can't seem to add the images into this post, so I've added the links above.

Last edited by Balistaff; May 31st, 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Formatting - Tried AGAIN to add the Pictures AND it worked
Balistaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 11:35   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

I didn't have to do any crimping.
Those rubber grommets are weather seals and can't move anywhere once fitted correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2020, 14:23   #16
Balistaff

Default Too Loose or too Tight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I didn't have to do any crimping.
Those rubber grommets are weather seals and can't move anywhere once fitted correctly.
Thanks for that. Really useful to hear someone else's experience. The pack provided by Pagid didn't have any instructions to crimp, but there is a gap around the cable which is the reason I asked.

I'm happy with the grommet fit, though a tad loose and I'd be surprised if water could be forced through as the bulkhead is in the opposite direction to the direction the car travels (accepting reverse gear of course)

I understand that there should be no pinching on the cable otherwise it might pinch the inner cable on the outer sheath. I may just leave it, suck it and see approach. But as I'm not driving presently, I've not refitted the centre console etc. before asking the question.
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 22:50   #17
Jazbee

There are a few good vids on YouTube on replacing the handbrake shoes and cables etc. One by SiiRobb is probably the most apt for your particular issues.

https://youtu.be/Grbh5gnmx3A
XC70 D5 SE Lux 2007
V70 D5 SE 2008
Jazbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 21:30   #18
Balistaff

Default No Crimping Confirmed

Both Pagid and the local garage both confirmed that there is no reason to crimp and the grommet rings should be left as is. Only done a few miles and all OK. Onto the next problem now, ABS sensors need cleaning

Previously - V70 2003 SE 2.4L 170BHP Petrol/Auto
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 16:12   #19
Balistaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes there are a lot of factors which deteriorate over the years :

The inside of the disc ( drum) gets pitted with rust ,
Non volvo shoes get used which are poor quality and don't grip,
When volvo shoes are used , they are not bedded in by heating them up , they need using to get them hot then then re adjust when cold .
The expanders on the cable interface to the shoes can get stiff..
The inner cable can rust and fray .
The outer cable can collapse slowly over many years ,
The adjuster on the end of the Handbrake lever isn't used .
The Shoes can loose chunks of material with age .

However when all is as standard and satisfactory it is a superb handbrake .
I think I got lucky last year with the MOT, but this year same problem with the handbrake on the (rear) passenger side and the car failed the first attempt at the MOT. I had even checked the rear brakes for movement (Wheels & drums off the car after it's jacked up) and can only think that it's the aftermarket shoes that I've put on the car last year. These brake shoes show little or no signs of wear for the last lockdown year of motoring >1k miles.
So I've ordered up some replacement Volvo shoes from the main dealer and will replace next weekend. Finger crossed this fixes.

Previously - V70 2003 SE 2.4L 170BHP Petrol/Auto