Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit

Views : 16717

Replies : 136

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2020, 15:23   #101
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Personally, I would say the E46 projectors should only be used with Halogen bulbs.

Having run them with a 5000k HID kit, the eye strain on an unlit country road was very noticeable. But dropping down to H7 Halogen bulbs, the eye strain is gone, but you still get very good headlights.

Also, the blue haze around the cut-off was very intense with HID, whereas with Halogen it is still there but nowhere near as intense. I actually think it's great that the cut off is so sharp with the E46 clear lenses, because you can instantly see where the beam height stops.

It's been mentioned before, but brighter headlights does not always mean better visibility, it's more so how that light is distributed onto the road. For example, with a HID kit, I was constantly having to put my main beams on along country lanes at night because my eyes couldn't adjust to the intense difference above/below the cut off... whereas now I'm only running halogens I can drive country lanes at night, in the rain, without needing to use main beams.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 15:51   #102
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

Also, the blue haze around the cut-off was very intense with HID, whereas with Halogen it is still there but nowhere near as intense. I actually think it's great that the cut off is so sharp with the E46 clear lenses, because you can instantly see where the beam height stops.

ref haze - did you find the haze too intense with perfectly adjusted shutter or you never tried to do so? Just wondering as some people complain about rainbow effect not knowig it can be reduced by shutter adjustment.

Agreed with the eye strain issue of light-dark border, took me a while to get
used to it years ago, also thats the reason most of new cars uses gradual cutoff not sharp one, but to me its still better to use HIDs. I tried halogen bulbs back when I had h7 retrofitted projectors and didnt like it. I guess its personal pref.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 16:31   #103
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
ref haze - did you find the haze too intense with perfectly adjusted shutter or you never tried to do so? Just wondering as some people complain about rainbow effect not knowig it can be reduced by shutter adjustment.

Agreed with the eye strain issue of light-dark border, took me a while to get
used to it years ago, also thats the reason most of new cars uses gradual cutoff not sharp one, but to me its still better to use HIDs. I tried halogen bulbs back when I had h7 retrofitted projectors and didnt like it. I guess its personal pref.
Never tried to adjust it to be honest, it feels like one of those things that if I start adjusting it would drive me insane until I had it perfect!
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 17:48   #104
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Never tried to adjust it to be honest, it feels like one of those things that if I start adjusting it would drive me insane until I had it perfect!
That is exactly how you described it ! with my OCD, it took me a while to nail it, but once you do - it DOES make a difference.
see below:
left side - adjusted as good as possible after a trial of tears (D2S OEM bulbs)
right side - adjusted OK but not perfect, ( H7 chinese burners)

shutter adjustmed do make a huge difference. Best part is, you can actually decide on the distance where you want sharp focal point - for example, you can set shutter so cutoff point is perfectly clear 10m in front of your car (like pic on the shed) but the further the distance, it will blur out a bit. Or you can do a full sharp cutoff on the point where beam hits the road but it will be blurry when projected on the back of the car 5 meters in front of you .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp2.jpg (33.9 KB, 105 views)
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 09:18   #105
Sidonas

I did try to adjust mine but this was the least amount of blue I could get out of them, unfortunately.

I have now wired the high beams on the Camaro ones but I still can't say what the shape of the high beam is. I think there's no secondary shield behind the low beam one and it just fully opens, resulting in an indiscernible pattern, especially when combined with the HB3 high beams coming on at the same time.
Sidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 16:36   #106
Sidonas

Quote:
any pics of high beam with shutter down please? Is it octagonal or star-shaped?
https://imgur.com/YDIshOI
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 12:16   #107
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidonas View Post
Thanks
Looks more like star-shape, defo less uniformed than my straight-cut octagonal shape (see pic), so your high beam may be also more focused (good thing). How do you find it when driving at pitch black, makes a big difference or hb3 still provides main source?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bl30.jpg (61.3 KB, 88 views)
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 12:36   #108
wanamees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidonas View Post
I've posted this on "swedespeed" as well but just in case some Europeans are considering retrofitting as well, here's a comparison between H7 base E46 replica and D2S base AL/Kendrion Gen2 projectors from a Chevy Camaro.

Link: https://imgur.com/a/k5ACCKK

A few things to note:

1) Gradual cutoff: while clear lens mods are highly sought after in the retrofitting community, I found the shard cutoff lines between light and dark to be straining and distracting;
2) No colour flicker at the cutoff: a plus in my eyes, as I found it distracting;
3) Much wider output: in the close-up comparison pictures the car was even further away from the wall in the first shot (with the replicas). Easier to make turns on completely dark roads as you pretty much get at least some illumination ~150 degress around the car.

To top it all off, with the prices of the projectors on eBay being so low, this is actually a cheaper way to retrofit if you're going the D2S route.

Out of interest.
Do camaro ones fit 1:1 without modifications? Sizing and hole fitment?
You retrofitted them to prefacelift or facelift?

They do look quite a lot wider, but not sure if it is because of projector cup design or the lens beeing milky/dotted?
You can see, the light output is tiny bit weaker, but decent amount wider.

Using foglights with leds will widen view of field quite a lot.
But the foglights will blind oncoming traffic, although they are aimed to hit floor (even those cheap chinese leds are quite strong). Useless in high intensity traffic, at least without modding.

"2) No colour flicker at the cutoff: a plus in my eyes, as I found it distracting;"
Seems to be issue with hids (hid or bulb spedific), because with leds the cutoff seems quite uniform.

----

These pictures are without foglights. Some photos taken with nightmode.
Although a bit narrow, they are super strong.

http://www.jipikaje.ee/volvo/examples.jpg
wanamees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 20:54   #109
Sidonas

Quote:
Thanks
How do you find it when driving at pitch black, makes a big difference or hb3 still provides main source?
I can't really tell which one ends up being the main source of light. I have mostly been driving around town these past few weeks so I couldn't really test it out. I'll post up some pics after I've had a chance to properly test them out.

This is how it looks on a wall:
https://imgur.com/a/IH3TjxA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanamees View Post
Out of interest.
Do camaro ones fit 1:1 without modifications? Sizing and hole fitment?
You retrofitted them to prefacelift or facelift?

They do look quite a lot wider, but not sure if it is because of projector cup design or the lens beeing milky/dotted?
You can see, the light output is tiny bit weaker, but decent amount wider.

Using foglights with leds will widen view of field quite a lot.
But the foglights will blind oncoming traffic, although they are aimed to hit floor (even those cheap chinese leds are quite strong). Useless in high intensity traffic, at least without modding.

"2) No colour flicker at the cutoff: a plus in my eyes, as I found it distracting;"
Seems to be issue with hids (hid or bulb spedific), because with leds the cutoff seems quite uniform.

----

These pictures are without foglights. Some photos taken with nightmode.
Although a bit narrow, they are super strong.

http://www.jipikaje.ee/volvo/examples.jpg
Yes, they are 1:1 fit. They also have a perfect rotational alignment. Mine's a pre-facelift model. As far as I'm aware, bowl shape is the main determinant of the beam shape. Lens plays a minor role as well but it's less important.

Are these H7 RHD ones from theretrofitlab? Your beam step-up shape is a little different to the ones I had ( "_-" vs "_/"). Who knows, perhaps they've also made some adjustments to the lens itself, as yours look to have no flicker at all.

As for the width and intensity comparison between the replicas and the originals, both the intensity and the width were greatly improved, as I didn't just change the projectors but also went from Chinese H7-base bulbs to high end D2S Osrams. The pictures just don't do them justice due to automatic contrast/brightness adjustment on the phone's camera.

Last edited by Sidonas; Jan 20th, 2020 at 21:04.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 20:06   #110
Sidonas

Quote:
Thanks
How do you find it when driving at pitch black, makes a big difference or hb3 still provides main source?
Ok, so I've finally gotten a chance to take some pics in pitch black. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a spot with no trees around (I could have just turned the car sideways I guess, but it didn't come to me at the time).

To me it almost appears like the HB3s are pointing too far down, as I get most of the yellow output at about the spot where the visible light from the low beam ends. After wording it this way, I guess they're aimed well for a non-bi-xenon setting but could be more beneficial if they were aimed a bit higher here.

The width shots were made with low beams only.

https://imgur.com/a/BMKGJvu