Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 135458

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 00:23   #451
Ian W XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrp140 View Post
Having a dog in the boot regularly, I don't seem to be able to 'reduce guard' the alarm system permanently. I have to go through the menus every time. ... Handbrake position was clearly an after thought by Volvo designers.
If it's any help, you can get it to offer reduced guard every time you turn the ignition off. If you want it, you press OK - if you don't just ignore it and full guard will be set. It's in MY CAR > Car settings if I remember correctly. Very handy if you regularly carry pets and leave them in the car from time to time.
As for the electric handbrake, it's been there since the Mk1 was introduced in 2009 I've always assumed it was because there wasn't really room for it where it should be near the the gear stick but it certainly was counter intuitive. However, after nearly 10yrs of 2 XC60's and about to move to another make where the electric handbrake is in the "right" position I found myself going to where the 60's one is located and to confuse me even more you hook the new one up to set it like a real handbrake! My saviour is that the newby will have autohold which sets it for you when you stop. Phew!!

Last edited by Ian W XC60; Nov 18th, 2019 at 00:24. Reason: Typo
Ian W XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian W XC60 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 14:59   #452
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
You can set the passenger and drivers heating controls to be synchronised.... this is in the manual.
Tannaton, help me out here please, how do you synchronise the controls, I have been completely unable to find the instructions to do this. I assume it can't be too complicated. A brief description would be most appreciated.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 18:39   #453
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondcoia View Post
Tannaton, help me out here please, how do you synchronise the controls, I have been completely unable to find the instructions to do this. I assume it can't be too complicated. A brief description would be most appreciated.
My mistake............

It can be done on my V40 which has the same(ish) controls as the XC60 - but I think you're right it can't be done on the XC60 for some strange reason.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 19:27   #454
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
My mistake............

It can be done on my V40 which has the same(ish) controls as the XC60 - but I think you're right it can't be done on the XC60 for some strange reason.
Can't be done on my V60 either. Which is irritating...
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 18:34   #455
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Accepting that forums can be a sump of dissatisfaction and a catalyst for anxiety, but 92% of XC60 owners on this forum are happy with their vehicle. That's pretty good,I'm guessing Volvo would be pleased with that.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 18:35   #456
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Duplicate post glitch. Apologies couldn't delete.

Last edited by Dash300; Jan 21st, 2020 at 18:38.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 01:20   #457
Ian W XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
Accepting that forums can be a sump of dissatisfaction and a catalyst for anxiety, but 92% of XC60 owners on this forum are happy with their vehicle. That's pretty good,I'm guessing Volvo would be pleased with that.
Hope you don't mind a former owner commenting but unless you're a politician it's as well to remember the old maxim about lies, damned lies and statistics and to use the poll on this thread to come to that conclusion is, frankly, barking!
The thread and poll started 10yrs ago, I commented and voted almost that long ago and was an enthusiastic yes man. The original XC60 was a standout thing of beauty in its class, very cutting edge but with a gruff but tried and tested 2.4 D engine. As good as my word when the face lift came out I "upgraded" to the newby with the euro6 compliant D4 engine with no faffing about with adblue. 3 recalls for the EGR, 1 for the EPB not setting (sometimes) and a random SRS Airbag Service required warning which happened every few months but reset after one or two restarts still didn't put me off that much. The major engine rebuild required because the EGR keeps pumping cr@p into the inlet end of the engine and 4th EGR recall left me with no confidence in the longevity of this engine so my vote now wouldn't be what it was 10yrs ago.
When the facts change, so does my opinion but the poll doesn't allow me to change to "no way, nelly!".
In my motoring life I've probably bought 10 new or pre-reg cars of many makes and I've never had anything like this number of recalls on any of them.
If you only keep a new car 2/3yrs you'll probably never have a problem other than the inconvenience of the recalls. If you buy older or keep longer, good luck with that one as I suspect a very high proportion of D4's will suffer major problems at 4-6yrs.
Volvo have record sales so they won't be too bothered about the D4 14-17 but for individual owners, its a disaaaster darling!
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 18:00   #458
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian W XC60 View Post
Hope you don't mind a former owner commenting but unless you're a politician it's as well to remember the old maxim about lies, damned lies and statistics and to use the poll on this thread to come to that conclusion is, frankly, barking!
The thread and poll started 10yrs ago, I commented and voted almost that long ago and was an enthusiastic yes man. The original XC60 was a standout thing of beauty in its class, very cutting edge but with a gruff but tried and tested 2.4 D engine. As good as my word when the face lift came out I "upgraded" to the newby with the euro6 compliant D4 engine with no faffing about with adblue. 3 recalls for the EGR, 1 for the EPB not setting (sometimes) and a random SRS Airbag Service required warning which happened every few months but reset after one or two restarts still didn't put me off that much. The major engine rebuild required because the EGR keeps pumping cr@p into the inlet end of the engine and 4th EGR recall left me with no confidence in the longevity of this engine so my vote now wouldn't be what it was 10yrs ago.
When the facts change, so does my opinion but the poll doesn't allow me to change to "no way, nelly!".
In my motoring life I've probably bought 10 new or pre-reg cars of many makes and I've never had anything like this number of recalls on any of them.
If you only keep a new car 2/3yrs you'll probably never have a problem other than the inconvenience of the recalls. If you buy older or keep longer, good luck with that one as I suspect a very high proportion of D4's will suffer major problems at 4-6yrs.
Volvo have record sales so they won't be too bothered about the D4 14-17 but for individual owners, its a disaaaster darling!
You have single handedly had enough bad luck for the entire forum!! I had the same bad luck as you with my BMW 5 series moneypit. Whilst different issues they were major and expensive. As soon as the 'out of warranty chip' fired up everything went expensively wrong and BMW said 'talk to the hand'.
I may be on borrowed time but to date the Volvo has been trouble free and beaten the BMW hands down. I'm not expecting to last as long as my LR or Vitesse but would settle for another 4 years!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:30   #459
Aptref

Anyone know of a good and reasonable garage in Cardiff that I can take my second hand XC60? I have a reduced engine light on and I don't want to take to to the main dealer
Aptref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 19:52   #460
MrDatch

I bloody love my XC60, it’s my 4th Volvo an first XC and I can’t really fault it. More than quick enough and makes overtakes easy and safe. Handling for a big SUV is plenty good enough. It’ll lug a good load, towing is a doddle. I can drive it all day and get out without being crippled despite a dodgy back. It’s road presence is good and when I have my Search and Rescue decals on for a call out it gets noticed and people let me pass so I can make safe progress (no blues n 2s so all within normal road rules).
Easily the best car I’ve ever owned.
MrDatch is offline   Reply With Quote