Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interior light switch in door shut. Confused!

Views : 893

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 19:33   #1
sleek lemur

Default Interior light switch in door shut. Confused!

Hi All,
My 1800E has no light switches in the door shuts, so I bought 2 new ones (pic attached). Looks like they screw directly into the door pillar, however I can't work out where the electrical connections can be accessed. The parts manual is not clear. I've had the front wing splash guards off fr waxoyling and there's no access there, neither is there by removing the interior trim in the footwell. I need to have the doors off to change the door stays, so do I need to remove the hinges from the car body to access the interior light switches' connections ? Seems a bit unlikely.

Thanks as always!
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 20:18   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

SL;

Color code of wires you need to locate (in sides of footwell on the way to the Doorjam) looks like SB (that means Black, I believe) for an E...reference Wiring Diagram: https://www.sw-em.com/1800E%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg (see Items 40 (one each side)).

To verify you are addressing the correct wire(s), as a test, connect them to chassis (with Courtesy Light Switch in Door Position), and Courtesy Light should come on. Mount new switches in holes which are likely already located in Doorjam (if OE Switches have been removed), adjust depth (such that Door activates but doesn't smash), and connect to said wires per side...

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 21:32   #3
sleek lemur

Thanks Ron. Trying your patience, am still confused! What do I attach to the switch and how do I get the wire into the space behind the door shut?

Annoyingly, I can't attach a pic of the switch as the fine size on my phone is too big!
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 21:58   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

The black wire that Ron refers to is an earth wire which is the only one which connects to the back of the switch. If you can locate this, make sure your interior light is switched to the 'door activation' position, touch the black wire to the car body and your courtesy light should illuminate.

I'm concerned that as you say your car has no door jamb switches, these may have been removed by a previous owner and the black wire chopped off somewhere under the dash, hope not but I remain pessimistic! If so, you need to trace back to the loom and rewire both of your new switches, from memory the cable attaches to the switch with a standard 'bullet' terminal.

As for cable routeing, I would feed a new wire into the door jamb from outside and manipulate it until you can see the end of it around the lower hinge area, you should then be able to draw it through the panel (I recall there's a hole there?) into the car and upwards to the dashboard area to make the connection to loom.

As for removing the doors, it's easier to unbolt the hinges from the body, leaving them secured to the door and withdraw the door/hinges assembly complete. Be mindful of any shims that are fitted between the hinge and the body as these are necessary for perfect door alignment on reassembly.

Hope this helps?
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 22:09   #5
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post
Hi All,
My 1800E has no light switches in the door shuts, so I bought 2 new ones (pic attached). Looks like they screw directly into the door pillar, however I can't work out where the electrical connections can be accessed. The parts manual is not clear. I've had the front wing splash guards off fr waxoyling and there's no access there, neither is there by removing the interior trim in the footwell. I need to have the doors off to change the door stays, so do I need to remove the hinges from the car body to access the interior light switches' connections ? Seems a bit unlikely.

Thanks as always!
Hi I think this is mine hope it helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2927.JPG (163.4 KB, 46 views)
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 22:47   #6
sleek lemur

Thanks very much Cassel l. Really helpful. I need to remove the doors to replace the check straps, so was wondering if removing the door hinges might give me better access. So, the earth wire travels from the light to the switch, great. But where exactly does it enter the door pillar?
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 22:50   #7
sleek lemur

Powen ? Not sure what I'm looking at in your pic. I need to understand where the earth wire enters the door pillar.

Am high maintenance member. V sorry!
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 12:07   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

"as for removing the doors, it's easier to unbolt the hinges from the body, leaving them secured to the door and withdraw the door/hinges assembly complete. Be mindful of any shims that are fitted between the hinge and the body as these are necessary for perfect door alignment on reassembly."

If your doors are fitting nicely at the moment, you can drill a 1/8" hole right through the hinge and into the A post. When refitting the doors you can then put a pair of 1/8" drills (or pop rivets) through the hinge/shims/A post and tighten the screws up again. With luck, the alignment should be the same as before. Repaint hole with a Q-Tip or small brush.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 19:06   #9
volvonic272

Sorry to disagree with you Derek.
I would undo the bolts on the door side not the hinge.
The bolts on the door are cone shaped (like a wheel nut) so should locate the door in its original position.
If you undo the hinge on the body side there is a loads of adjustment and to get it back to original would be difficult.
More chance of damaging the bodywork.
Plus if the shims drop out even more of a mare.

The hinge fits on the outside of the A post so drilling through isn't appropriate .
It would mean drilling through from the inside and through both sides of the pillar into and through the hinge, a distance of about 6".

That's my opinion anyway
Hope it helps

Dave
volvonic272 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvonic272 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 20:09   #10
powen1

Hi Sorry not a great picture, as for the earth I thought the for switch itself earths to the body and you only run the Live wire - happy to be corrected by another :-)
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powen1 For This Useful Post: