Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My15 V60 D4. Giving off oily fumes

Views : 26755

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 16:09   #21
Chrisv60

I had a similar oily fumes smell following engine replacement. Sometimes the smell was in the engine compartment and sometimes it wasn't. It seemed to smell worse whilst idling. After a full inspection of the system they found one of the gaskets had been pinched slightly on reassembly.

The smell was apparent in the cabin now and again but did seem to vary with the air con settings. However, I suspect it's more about the sensitivity of the human nose and the cabin not being airtight which is deceiving.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 17:33   #22
DTaylor

Mine is actually smoking, so something is getting out from where it should be, to where it shouldn't.

I drove the car yesterday for a 45 minute journey each way and nothing. This is why I am wondering if something is passing during the regen cycle. I will mention it to them tomorrow. It is very intermittent which is why it is difficult to fix. It's a bit difficult fixing something that doesn't look broke.

Anyway, a video of my smoke/fumes for anyone that missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZgU...ature=youtu.be

I'll update tomorrow when I get the car back.
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 08:15   #23
Ashil1973

Default Inlet Manifold Recall

This sounds exactly like the same issue with my Volvo V60 D4 you need to get Volvo to deal with it mine goes in today for them to resolve.
Ashil1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashil1973 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 13:16   #24
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashil1973 View Post
This sounds exactly like the same issue with my Volvo V60 D4 you need to get Volvo to deal with it mine goes in today for them to resolve.
It's in at the moment - attempt no 4. I have a hire car on the drive. I'll post an update later.
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 19:18   #25
DTaylor

OK, car has been in today, spent 4 hours running at dealers and 1 hour road test. They have said that some of the oil has not been cleaned up properly after the rocker cover gasket was replaced, and it is probably this causing the fumes and smoke. They have thoroughly cleaned the engine and hope that this has sorted the issue out. They can not find any other problems with the car.

I'm off to the Lake District on Saturday, so that will be a good test to see if it's all sorted or not.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 02:00   #26
DTaylor

Nope, still not fixed. Took it out today, 4 hour journey each way. Stopped at services on the way back, clouds of oily smoke coming from the back of the engine again. Will book it in at the dealers for the fifth time to see if they can fix it.

I've noticed that when it happens the cooling fan is also running. Coincidence? I'd been travelling at 70mph in 6th gear on the motorway, when I pulled into the services. I would have thought that at that speed and RPM there would have been adequate airflow to cool the engine without bringing the fan on. Car temp gauge was on normal, no signs of overheating.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:40   #27
DTaylor

I am completely fed up now.

I know it may be difficult to find, and the dealership are doing their best, but I'm now considering dropping Volvo all together. Am already looking at Mazda 6 as a replacement to my V60.

It's the constant not knowing if it is fixed or not, the fumes and smoke coming out from under the bonnet, especially in front of friends and family at a very nice 60th wedding anniversary do in Oxfordshire, the smell inside the car when you go on a long run and the inconvenience of being without the car whenever it goes in. Not to mention the £500 I have already spent, and how much more I will have to spend when they finally find the issue.

Car goes back in for attempt no 5 on Friday.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 19:20   #28
SeaShell

My brother recently got a new clutch and flywheel put into his Fiat Tipo. Following that he was getting lots of fumes into the cabin.

Seems the exhaust manifold had not been put back on correctly.

I wonder if that is the issue with yours and the smoke is indeed coming from a DPF regeneration and working its way out in the engine bay....
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 23:35   #29
dhr90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
I am completely fed up now.

I know it may be difficult to find, and the dealership are doing their best, but I'm now considering dropping Volvo all together. Am already looking at Mazda 6 as a replacement to my V60.

It's the constant not knowing if it is fixed or not, the fumes and smoke coming out from under the bonnet, especially in front of friends and family at a very nice 60th wedding anniversary do in Oxfordshire, the smell inside the car when you go on a long run and the inconvenience of being without the car whenever it goes in. Not to mention the £500 I have already spent, and how much more I will have to spend when they finally find the issue.

Car goes back in for attempt no 5 on Friday.
There is a lot to like about the Mazda 6 to be fair. Main reason I didn’t get one was the infotainment is way below what the Volvo offered. From screen resolution, ease of use, quality of satnav, and a quirk where any iPod or usb stick plugged in would go back to the beginning each time the car was started.
On the plus side, the twin turbo diesel I tried had buckets of power, was extremely comfortable and the driving position was perfect. I still look at them every time I see one and half wish I had gotten one instead.

Hope you get your Volvo sorted and your faith restored in it. Have you considered a V60 (or another Volvo) without a VEA engine?
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 08:47   #30
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr90 View Post
Have you considered a V60 (or another Volvo) without a VEA engine?
I've thought about it, but not sure what to look at. Both of my last Volvo's have been D4's and I really like to power and economy they offer. I wouldn't want to drop down to something like a D2 or D3, and D5's aren't that common and more expensive.

I've considered going back to a V70, but now 2 of my kids have left home I'm not sure I need such a big car. V40's are a little too small, the V60 was the best compromise.

The dealer loaned me a T2 R design and I was totally underwhelmed by it. The only thing I liked better than my V60 were the seats. The entertainment system sounded much worse, smaller speakers, it felt plasticy and had no power. I would not have purchased one.