Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EX-Police V50 D5 - what's been 'upgraded'?

Views : 800

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2020, 20:17   #1
compaq1024

Smile EX-Police V50 D5 - what's been 'upgraded'?

Hi Everyone

I have had my (Cumbria) Police Spec V50 D5 for a couple of years now. Had a turbo replaced - being driven HARD (as it was a training vehicle) before warm was probably the cause of that. Apart from that it's been great.

I've been looking at the Polestar 'Optimization' package which can allegedly boost power significantly. As my car is Police Spec I assume some parts have been upgraded already and was just wondering if anyone knows what will have been done.

AND is there any way to tell if it's had the Polestar upgrade without having to go to a stealer/indie?

Thanks!
compaq1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 21:21   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Not sure about the V50 but I do know that the V70 had uprated brakes, wheels, suspension and engine. The engine upgrade was Volvo’s own originally but should have been removed before the vehicle was sold. This might have morphed into Polestar.

They also upgraded the interior and whilst keeping the leather front seats the rear seats were a very good imitation leather that was easy to clean body fluids
off
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 08:54   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

If you arent sure, best take is to a dyno and see what its doing at the wheel.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 11:27   #4
Welton
Premier Member

As I understood it, 'Police Spec' normally means:

Upgraded Alternator
Upgraded Suspension
Upgraded Brakes
Interior Upholstery 'downgrades'

Most of the above is to handle the potential increased weight of the vehicle and additional electrical equip used by Police rather than being 'performance' upgrades.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 12:07   #5
sda2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by compaq1024 View Post
Hi Everyone

I have had my (Cumbria) Police Spec V50 D5 for a couple of years now. Had a turbo replaced - being driven HARD (as it was a training vehicle) before warm was probably the cause of that. Apart from that it's been great.

I've been looking at the Polestar 'Optimization' package which can allegedly boost power significantly. As my car is Police Spec I assume some parts have been upgraded already and was just wondering if anyone knows what will have been done.

AND is there any way to tell if it's had the Polestar upgrade without having to go to a stealer/indie?

Thanks!
Got any pictures? Is it white or grey?
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 12:19   #6
iainmd

Looking at VIDA, unlike the V70 I can see no police specific options for performance, suspension or alternator upgrades for the D5. Police spec is listed but I'm not finding any police specific components or software for the usual categories.

Have to say with a V50 I suspect it's simply a D5 with downgraded upholstery. Front brakes would already be the largest type on a D5 at 320mm.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 17:48   #7
compaq1024

Thanks everyone!

Those all make sense. It feels really wobbly and a little wayward when pushing on along B-Roads - probably a direct cause of suspension to cope with extra weight I'm assuming. I'm tempted to Dyno it, there is a place 500 meters away that does 3x pulls for £55, I imagine the V50 would be the least powerful vehicle they've ever tested as they are a motorsports tuner.

I need to get my pads and disks done soon and want to keep it the same size as it is now so that's good to know about pad size!

Can confirm interior is completely no-frills bog-standard cloth seats and no extras what so ever.

Images before and after here:
https://imgur.com/a/nO3serN
compaq1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 18:16   #8
sda2489

I remember driving that. Few years ago now. Was a traffic car, then it was turned into a driver training car for initial pursuit stuff. Happy days.
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sda2489 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 20:34   #9
iainmd

Looking at your pictures it's possible you only have 300mm brakes not 320mm. The car is on 16" wheels and I'm not sure that 16's clear the calipers on 320mm disks. The size will be stamped on the calipers. Failing that, post a photo or two of the front wheel from the side and we'll confirm which brake setup it is as the calipers are considerably different between 300 and 320mm.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post: