Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85349

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2020, 18:45   #191
arcturus
arcturus

If you keep the car in a garage get one of these,after you have sorted the problem.
https://www.waveinn.com/loja-nautica...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 23:37   #192
blueosprey90
Master Member

Very nice summer weather, so I've driven the Volvo to work a few days during the past two weeks. It is only 3/4 of a mile - and the way to work is almost completely downhill, so mostly at idle.

I've noticed that the car doesn't want start after a few trips; and I've needed to resort to charging the battery. At first, I thought the control box / regulator needed adjustment, but that doesn't look to be a DIY. Then I thought that maybe I should change the size of the pulley on the generator so that it spins faster at slow speed - and that may still be an option. But then I thought the battery might be old and not holding a charge. I found a receipt indicating that the battery is only 13 years old, so just getting broken in. And by multi-meter, it seems to hold a charge over several days, anyway.

Today, I drove for 4 miles to put the car in storage. After parking for a few minutes, to move another car, I was unable to start the Volvo. Weak crank.

Fortunately, I had a few tools and pulled the battery terminal connections and scraped with a screwdriver for some shiny surfaces. Made a significant difference and I was able to start the car and move on. Can it just be slightly dirty (more tarnish than dirt) terminals? I'll clean them better and see.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 09:56   #193
arcturus
arcturus

Check terminal ground to chassis.At that age I think that the battery should be offered early retirement. Perhaps melted down and the lead given a new and useful life
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 23:21   #194
blueosprey90
Master Member

I cleaned up the contacts on the engine to chassis ground wire several weeks ago.

The contacts weren't bad, and I may have cleaned them previously when I first bought the car. The chassis contact point, though, is a somewhat squarish protrusion that makes me think that the ground wire's end terminal should be U shaped to fit over the top and down the sides for a larger contact surface.

I'm running an Optima Red Top maintenance free battery rated for 800 cold crank amps. It is an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery, I think. While I may need to get a new battery, I'll first try cleaning the battery posts well and determining if that solves the problem.
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 10:03   #195
arcturus
arcturus

Are you talking about the ground connection on the bulkhead or the one on the underside of chassis?Is yours a six or twelve volt?
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 13:46   #196
blueosprey90
Master Member

I'm referring to the one on the "frame". The ground at bulkhead is also clean. I'm running a 6 volt system.
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 14:27   #197
arcturus
arcturus

That should just be a metal earth strap from bellhouse/starter to a flat captured nut on frame. Check also the ground from dynamo to regulator. If all else fails I have spare 6V reg's since I converted to 12V
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 15:16   #198
blueosprey90
Master Member

Thank you for the offer. Might be a bit of trouble shipping to the U.S. of A. though.
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 16:33   #199
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

bo90;

Poor cranking is due to less than optimum voltage being available at Starter...and if Battery condition is good (Charged AND low internal resistance meaning Voltage does not collapse under high current drawn- on old Bats with sulfated plates, high internal R causes collapse of V under high load), then voltage drop is occurring elsewhere in the high current path...this can be ANY of the big cables involved, including Chassis Strap. To check, measure VBat under cranking load and compare to VSol...if there is more than 0.5V drop, locate with voltmeter and correct. If Battery V itself collapses, charge overnight from a line powered charger, and retry or have an automotive elec shop perform a load test.

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 18:57   #200
blueosprey90
Master Member

The PV 444 got pushed to the back of the garage for the last few months.

In the interim, I've been on a quest for speed. I had the S2000 out to Watkins Glen last week and hope to be racing the MGA this weekend. Then in September, hope to do a couple of drives with the PV444.

Here I'm at the Glen in the S2000 trying to keep up with some Spec Miatas.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/tqCC3im2ysM

[/YOUTUBE]