Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heifer, my '97 940 Torslanda Estate

Views : 1078

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2020, 19:49   #11
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy299 View Post

I did do a decent job on the price actually. Still slightly high (£1500) but it is in remarkably good nick and has been very well looked after. Drives very well. Adjusted the handbrake and the throttle this morning so they are both working a bit more positively.

I have checked and I think my PCV is blocked up, thats next on the list. Worth buying new or just cleaning up?

The clutch is on the deck. Bites unless your foot is on the floor. There's no adjustment with it being hydraulic I believe, does anyone know any fixes for this?
Good work

I'd go with cleaning the system out. Dismantle everything and flush it with solvents. Then blow through it all before reassembling.

For the clutch, there's no adjustment. I'd bleed it first and see if that makes any difference. After 500k miles I wouldn't be surprised if it needed a clutch though!

Edit: we thought my brother's 940 2.3t auto was doing well on 1 owner and 282,000 miles. Your car makes my diesel 740 look barely run in at 166,000!

Last edited by tofufi; Jun 28th, 2020 at 19:56.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 20:46   #12
Noddy299

I have cleaned the PCV out, replaced the hose, I managed to find a length of 4mm vac hose. Used a drill bit to clean the intake nipple out. I will replace some of the worst bits like the intake feed hose.

The car is now idling a lot better but still slightly high, might be something to do with the gaping hole I have found in the hose from the MAF to the turbo. I am going to replace it with a silicone version. Not cheap though. Also still need to clean the throttle body and think a new gasket will help as there is carbon building up around the throttle body.

I am losing coolant somewhere too. Bits of crystalisation around some of the hoses and also unfortunately a tiny bit around the heater matrix. I hope that is old...

I have sorted the rear washer jet and wiper also. A very small step...

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noddy299 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 20:54   #13
Forrest
VOC Member

Replacing the wings on these is very easy. Here’s a link to a recent write-up I did on replacing mine.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=305218

The part leather seats in the Celebration were quite common so it should be easy enough to find a lower mileage donor car. An alternative would be to find one of the rarer late model CD estates being scrapped for full leather upholstery and electric adjustment of the driver’s seat. Yours will have the standalone side impact airbags in the seats so for insurance purposes it’s best to ensure any replacement also does. And take care not to trigger the device while working on the seat.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 21:19   #14
Noddy299

I will be sticking with the half leather I think. I prefer the look of it and want to try to stick to relatively original.

Does anyone have a PCV turbo feed hose? Or know where I can source one that isnt america? Cant seem to find one Volvo pt no. 3507424.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noddy299 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 22:37   #15
griston64
Premier Member

I think that's N/A from Volvo but you can get a D088 one in the UK

https://www.do88.co.uk/product_info....oducts_id=9622
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 19:17   #16
Noddy299

I have ordered a few bits from DO88. Managed to source a wing too. Wrong colour but good nick. Going to attempt to sort the rust and blow over it with some primer and then get it colour matched by a body shop. Hopefully have the current issues sorted within a month. Then I can keep fighting the upcoming problems....
The Following User Says Thank You to Noddy299 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 19:24   #17
Noddy299

So far I have driven 150 miles, had the power steering/water pump belt snap on me which boiled the heater matrix. So that was a Saturday lost to replacing that. New belts fitted. Coolant flushed and changed.

Went for a test drive, no boost. Actuator pin has snapped off. What is left of the pin is stuck in so I will need to attempt to drill it out to replace it. Hoses havent turned up from DO88 yet which isn't very good of them. Meant to be here last week.

I have also done a full service including leads and plugs, need to do the rotor arm. I am going to do the gearbox and diff oil too. The timing belt and tensioner are also going to be changed. Hoping too eliminate any chance of mechanical death as a result of lack of maintenance.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noddy299 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 14:29   #18
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Saggy front seat

No 530 Kmiles yet, but with 415 my front seat was feeling a bit saggy too. Last weekend I bit the bullent and replaced the foam filling of the front seat. What a difference! I had to adjust the mirrors because I am sitting a bit higher up now. Not only has the seating comfort improved, I also feel less vibrations from the road when driving. 100 euro well spent!
Rob
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: