Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026543

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2020, 09:04   #1401
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Wisbech is a very old port Alan and has a fairly large river flowing through it (Ouse or perhaps Great Ouse at that point, not sure) so it begs the question, is the house in Wisbech or one of the surrounding villages? If it's a surrounding village, depending on local conditions you may find yourself at sea level or below or possibly considerably higher.
If it's in the town, chances are you'll probably be ok as the houses tend to be built above the water table but obviously there's no guarantee.

I suspect having been a surveyor you could probably teach me a lot more about water tables than i could tell you.
St Johns Fen End, Dave, it is just about at sea level. I can see a dyke at the end of the next field on the imagery, perhaps 400m away. Not a good place to have a cellar!

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Jul 6th, 2020 at 09:18. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 09:38   #1402
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
St Johns Fen End, Dave, it is just about at sea level. I can see a dyke at the end of the next field on the imagery, perhaps 400m away. Not a good place to have a cellar!

Been through it a few times but don't really know that part of the Fens, i do remember there are dykes on virtually every road, both sides and looking on Gaggle Mops, there's a pumping station not far from there. That sohuld keep the ground relatively dry.

Anyway, we've got your workshop more or less sorted and you've not even viewed it yet - cart and horse come to mind!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 10:30   #1403
Othen
Premier Member

Default Powder Coated Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Those 16" steel wheels and winter tyres turned out to be perfect Dave - just exactly what I was looking for and a fair amount of life left in the winter rubber. As I'll be using them every winter I thought it would be worth investing a tiny amount (£21.99) is some hub caps, which arrived today:

... so for a total of £81.93 (for 4 x wheels, tyres and trims) I have a pretty good solution to safer winter driving.

I'm still quite pleased with myself about this little win.

Readers may recall me acquiring a set of steel 16" wheels with good winter tyres fitted a few weeks ago - and taking the opportunity to get the pretty scabby 7 year old rims on my Skoda Superb refurbished.

Well, I got the wheels back last eve and I must say they look - quite superb (excuse the pun):

The chap has done a first class job, the wheels look better than new in that he has powder coated the backs (and inside the rims) as well (they were unpainted behind from the factory - to save 50p/car I suppose):

The finish is really nice - slightly darker than the original (similar to the later cars):

... they look really nice on the car:

... which looks much better overall:

... and I've put my perfectly good steel wheels and winter tyres into storage until November:

As you may be able to tell, I'm pretty happy with this whole project for a total of £241.93 - and as an added bonus the irritating very slow puncture has disappeared :-)

Happy Alan.

PS. As another added bonus: I noticed (probably a year ago) that the solenoid that locks the fuel flap had stopped working. It didn't worry me much but was on my 'fix one day' list. I again noticed whilst filling up at Morrisons's gas station last week that it has fixed itself. Some things are better left alone :-)

Last edited by Othen; Jul 7th, 2020 at 10:53. Reason: Grammar.
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 10:37   #1404
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excellent result on the wheels Alan! I know you said the price for the wheels but can you remind me please?

A bit of silicone lube sprayed onto the fuel flap locking solenoid moving parts will help keep it working.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 10:47   #1405
Othen
Premier Member

Default Alloy vs Steel Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I used to assume that was true, until a few years ago I compared the weights of two bare Volvo wheels - alloy and steel. They were identical.

I had just been thinking "alloy is light". So it is, but the material is at least twice as thick.

While I was changing my steel winter tyres for the newly powder coated alloys ones I weighed one of each, and the very surprising result was:

Alloy wheel + 225/40R18 tyre: 23.0 kg
Steel wheel +205/55R16 tyres: 17.4 kg

... before someone tells me, I know the wheels are different sizes. However the point is they are both the correct wheel/tyre combination for my car, and so the unsprung weight with the trendy alloy wheel and fashionable low profile tyre is 5 kg more than the dowdy old steel wheel with a sensible aspect ratio tyre.

Whilst surprising, that did rather confirm my suspicion. nevertheless I'm going to be a slave to fashion until November and enjoy my flash refurbished wheels and with-it low profile tyres.

Alan
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 10:51   #1406
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Excellent result on the wheels Alan! I know you said the price for the wheels but can you remind me please?

A bit of silicone lube sprayed onto the fuel flap locking solenoid moving parts will help keep it working.
Good morn Dave,

Yes, I thought the wheels were a good result. They were just £160 all in - which I think was a bargain. As long as I'm careful with the kerbs they should last a long time as well.

The solenoid was an unexpected bonus - it would have been a fiddly job to fix. You are right, I'll give it a spray with some Screwfix silicone this morn and keep it working nicely :-)

Alan
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 11:49   #1407
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Well done, Alan; I can tell that you're wheely pleased with the result!

Isn't it interesting how technology and fashions change? You (quite rightly) refer to a /55 as a 'sensible aspect ratio' tyre, yet I mind a time (not so long ago, either (!)) when that would have been regarded as a very low profile tyre indeed!

Another disadvantage of ultra low profile tyres is the need for a TPMS, thereby adding more cost and complication to vehicles. In the old days (puts away rose-tinted spectacles) there was no need for electronic wizardry to inform one of a slow puncture - but then, we all checked our tyres every week, didn't we?!

Regards, John.
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 12:25   #1408
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Well done, Alan; I can tell that you're wheely pleased with the result!

Isn't it interesting how technology and fashions change? You (quite rightly) refer to a /55 as a 'sensible aspect ratio' tyre, yet I mind a time (not so long ago, either (!)) when that would have been regarded as a very low profile tyre indeed!

Another disadvantage of ultra low profile tyres is the need for a TPMS, thereby adding more cost and complication to vehicles. In the old days (puts away rose-tinted spectacles) there was no need for electronic wizardry to inform one of a slow puncture - but then, we all checked our tyres every week, didn't we?!

Regards, John.
Hi John,
Yes, I'm wheely pleased with the outcomes (the smart alloys and the steel/winter tyres - all part of the same initiative).

You are so right about fashions changing, the current trend being for very low profile tyres, even though they seem to serve no purpose apart from looks. You are very much right about /55 tyres - they would have been seen as sporty only 20 years or so ago.

I'd forgotten about the TPMS bit - yes, even more unnecessary complexity to go wrong as a car gets older. I wonder how many otherwise perfectly good 15 year old cars will be scrapped because something like the TPMS (or the computer that controls the windscreen wipers...) breaks and makes the car beyond economic repair. I know I've said this previously, but I think 1980 cars (like the RB) are about the sweet spot for classics - just before all those electronic systems arrived.

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself today.

Alan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 14:14   #1409
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Interesting comparison on the weight of the wheel assemblies Alan! I haven't forgotten about weighing a steel and an alloy rim (similar sizes) to find out but i need new batteries fot my hand held scales.

I often wonder if there was an EMP blast that took out all computers just how long society would last. Most peoples cars would be rendered useless in an instant and nobody would be able to get online to find out how to fix their cars either!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 20:14   #1410
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Interesting comparison on the weight of the wheel assemblies Alan! I haven't forgotten about weighing a steel and an alloy rim (similar sizes) to find out but i need new batteries fot my hand held scales.

I often wonder if there was an EMP blast that took out all computers just how long society would last. Most peoples cars would be rendered useless in an instant and nobody would be able to get online to find out how to fix their cars either!
That will be interesting Dave. My money is still on the alloy being heavier - I'm becoming convinced alloys are all smoke and mirrors.