Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cam shaft problem

Views : 3715

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2020, 10:05   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Cam shaft problem

Hi,what would be the symptoms of a damaged lobe on shaft. I have a horrible feeling that i am experiencing a problem there. I am getting an disturbing metallic rattle from the front of engine. I had to fit the old lifters on the new shaft as replacement lifters were unavailable at the time. I may be paying the price now!
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 10:53   #2
kishor

Thumbs up cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Hi,what would be the symptoms of a damaged lobe on shaft. I have a horrible feeling that i am experiencing a problem there. I am getting an disturbing metallic rattle from the front of engine. I had to fit the old lifters on the new shaft as replacement lifters were unavailable at the time. I may be paying the price now!
Hi

You might have a timing gear problem. These give way and makes a knocking noise.
Warn lobes will cause a 'miss'

Ta
Kassie
kishor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kishor For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 12:30   #3
blueosprey90
Master Member

I think camshaft or lifter wear would manifest as a performance problem, not a metallic noise. My B16 timing gear is quite noisy for what that may be worth. Is your noise screeching or banging. Mine is of the banging type. If fan belt is too loose, that will make a screeching noise. If too tight, it might affect generator bearing due to side load. Screeching metallic. If it is rhythmic metallic with engine revolution, is it possible a bolt has backed out and is hitting a rotating part? Any metal in the oil?

Since misery loves company, my test run of my new race engine was not without major problems. At least it ran and didn’t explode at 6,500 rpm. So I can fix!
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 13:03   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

B16 fibre timing gear doesn't have the star shaped metal centre that allows it to break "safely. The B16 is just moulded onto a knurled metal centre. When it fails, the gear just stops and centre carries on turning. When I had mine go way back when, the engine just stopped and I free wheeled onto a space off the road. It was in town. Of course I tried to start the engine but found that the distributor wasn't turning. Replaced the gears with a set off the shelf at the dealers. Someone had ordered the set and not collected them. Mind you that was back in 1966!
Can you remove the followers via the side plates after taking off the rocker gear and removing the push rods? It's the only way to inspect them properly.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 15:01   #5
arcturus
arcturus

Done that. The followers seem ok. and from what I could see of cam also.The timing gears seemed OK when I rebuilt engine but could have failed with the higher compression load. At least I can inspect the gears without removing engine. . I'm reluctant to pull out the engine again but will do if i can't find source of noise.If a big end or small end failed what sort of noise would that make?
When the timing gear failed on my B20 it started with a ticking noise which became louder and then complete failure.

Last edited by arcturus; Jun 14th, 2020 at 15:04.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 19:31   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Posted a video on the facebook B16 site where you can make out the noise I refer to. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1778957228856655/
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 01:36   #7
blueosprey90
Master Member

You have a lot of engine shake in that video. Verify your firing order. Then check valve clearances. Seems you have two different sounds. Is it possible cam timing has shifted or slipped? One sound sounds like valves. I think second of the sounds might be piston slap, or rod knock. But this is internet, I’m not a mechanic and shooting from the hip.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Jun 15th, 2020 at 02:20.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 08:46   #8
arcturus
arcturus

Valve gap from 0.50reduced to 0.40mm. Will probably check timing gears next.Can do that with engine in situ. However,beginning to suspect a big end bearing problem.

Last edited by arcturus; Jun 15th, 2020 at 10:28.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 14:47   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

I don't do Facebook so I can't listen to your noises. YouTube better for me. As I said the B16 just fails with no warning noises so if it's running the gear is OK. Plug wires on wrong easily checked. Dizzy runs clockwise the opposite to that on the B18/20. If that is fine you could try pulling one wire of the plugs at a time to see if you get a difference between each "running on 3" sounds. Have you had it running "smooth" since you did the last engine work? If so did the noises and wobbly running occur all of a sudden? 50 thou is correct for B16B inlet and exhaust.

My bad timing gears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxSRQ0johk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGykPiE43Ik

Last edited by Derek UK; Jun 15th, 2020 at 14:53.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 15:08   #10
arcturus
arcturus

I was thinking more on the line of a broken tooth