Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

G80 locker mod. How does it work ?

Views : 3576

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2020, 19:02   #1
Hoggarth23

Default G80 locker mod. How does it work ?

Hi all.
Iv just got a g80 diff and been doing some research and people seem to to a mod. This mod requires cutting the weight off to stop the diff unlock g after 25mph. Is this what everyone is doing before I commit to cutting it off. Thanks
Dean
Hoggarth23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoggarth23 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 20:32   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Are you using the car for drifting? If not then don't bother doing it.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 21:24   #3
Hoggarth23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Are you using the car for drifting? If not then don't bother doing it.
Not drifting not it's a car I use at weekends but also like to just give it death round roundabouts. Maybe in the future a track car but not drifting.
Why not bother if it's not for drifting ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoggarth23 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 09:09   #4
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Don't modify it.
You won't like it
The G80 is not a limited slip differential.

Did you ever drove a welded differential on the road?
Stupid, especially on wet conditions.

The G80 is a compromise, will work well in standard configuration. The kind of modification you will find in Internet isn't a uprate.
M2C

Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 09:46   #5
tofufi
Premier Member

I had a g80 which had been cut. I ended up buying another g80 to get a replacement weight which hadn't been cut, as it was horrible to drive.

If you like, I could post you the cut weight to swap for yours? Dismantling and reassembly of the diff is pretty easy.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 11:27   #6
Hoggarth23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
I had a g80 which had been cut. I ended up buying another g80 to get a replacement weight which hadn't been cut, as it was horrible to drive.

If you like, I could post you the cut weight to swap for yours? Dismantling and reassembly of the diff is pretty easy.
That sounds great. I want to try it with the weight off as to me is sounds like it could work but I also dont want to cut my weight off if I'm not going to like it.

I race stockcars and I do like going sideways so having g a weight cut off sounds like it would work for me and also be a open. Dif when not under load. Could you email me. dean-hoggarth@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks
Dean
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoggarth23 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 14:37   #7
deeman940
Master Member

You are obviously used to oversteer, so you shouldn't really have any worries. If i am correct a G80 with the mod will act like a welded diff i.e a zero slip diff.
i had a Nissan 180SX with a welded diff once, it was great for drifting but horrible on the road and would scrub rear tyres in 4 months. In hindsight i wish i had just fitted a LSD to that car and kept it....
i have a Gripper L.S.D in my 940, it is fantastic and they are a great company to deal with. Expensive at around a grand but you get what you pay for.
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 23:10   #8
Hoggarth23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
You are obviously used to oversteer, so you shouldn't really have any worries. If i am correct a G80 with the mod will act like a welded diff i.e a zero slip diff.
i had a Nissan 180SX with a welded diff once, it was great for drifting but horrible on the road and would scrub rear tyres in 4 months. In hindsight i wish i had just fitted a LSD to that car and kept it....
i have a Gripper L.S.D in my 940, it is fantastic and they are a great company to deal with. Expensive at around a grand but you get what you pay for.
I see. So when the g80 recognises slip in one wheel it locks the diff but am I right in this king when the power or load is off the diff unlocks and becomes open again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoggarth23 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 00:14   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggarth23 View Post
I see. So when the g80 recognises slip in one wheel it locks the diff but am I right in this king when the power or load is off the diff unlocks and becomes open again.
Kind of, instead of the multi-plate clutch system in a true LSD, the Locker is very similar to a Tor-Sen diff in the basic operation. Other manufacturers use different names but many make similar. This might give you more of an idea :

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catal...ferential.html

I'd go with the "you won't like it if you cut the weight off" vote for what it's worth. It's nice, reassuring feeling when you feel the diff bite and the power go down to the road where it's meant to be - looks great on the track driving sideways but for the road it loses you traction and time. It also draws unwanted attention from the local constabulary which is never good as they will always try to find something to do you for in addition to your sideways driving.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 10:55   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

No the G80 is nothing like a Torsen or the Detroit locker

This is how the detroit locker works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9DqWU-vBWI

and then the G80 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYYGo9zJkU

as you can see the G80 is more like a normal diff with a mechanism to lock it. Engaging that at higher speeds does damage it and they do not usually last long when modified to do so
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: