Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie Question Help!

Views : 509

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 14:09   #1
gnomonlove

Well I've always had american domestic cars and they work fine but I just started dating a girl whose family is big into foreign cars (saab 93, Audi A6, and Volvo 240, 960, and 850) and they certainly have changed my point of view. They take good care of their cars and I happened to find a 1989 780 Bertone in good shape with only 77,000 miles. I talked to a Volvo mechanic to see if he'd be able to fix it for me if anything went wrong and he said yes. Is this really worth buying if I'm not a volvo mechanic and can do minimal work on cars?

What sorts of 700 series problems should I look out for? I know that alot of the 760's are alot like the Bertone's; Should I expect problems? Should I wait until a 960 comes along or a 240.

I also found a 960 with 110,000miles. its a 94. It is automatic, and just needs new struts. Anyone have suggestions?

- Newbie Guy that needs help making a decision
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 16:09   #2
gnomonlove

anybody in here?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 19:07   #3
James_N
VOC Member

I own a 740 estate but i presume the 760 is pretty much the same.

Not much to go wrong really. The only weak point on the 740 seems to be the headlining. It always sags and falls off, just so happens that the headlining on my estate is perfect so im one of the few lucky ones!

As long as the volvo's are fully serviced and generally looked after, nothing much seems to go wrong. Obviously tyres and general things like that will be needed but i cant think of anything else bar the headlining that goes wrong, and this might be improved on the 1990 onwards models
James_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 20:53   #4
gnomonlove

Thanks James. That was the sort of answers I needed to sort of put my mind at rest. I've heard that the bertone's are rare in the U.K. and are some what of a desired car. I'm planning on buying one this weekend. great shape. Does your 740 cost alot to fix?
-Nick
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 21:41   #5
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomonlove
Thanks James. That was the sort of answers I needed to sort of put my mind at rest. I've heard that the bertone's are rare in the U.K. and are some what of a desired car. I'm planning on buying one this weekend. great shape. Does your 740 cost alot to fix?
-Nick
Hi

cant really help you on the bertone's specifically, cant say as ive ever heard of that model.

With regards to my volvo in particular, i haven't found it that expensive no. But to be fair, the car cost £100 with 4 months tax and MOT, and all i had to do was give it a clean and get 2 new front tyres on it (£30 each) and thats it.

I did take it to a garage to try and find the fault with the fuel gauge and got ripped off for £80 but that was pretty much my own fault.

Check here: www.jnolan.co.uk/Volvo for a rundown/web blog of my volvo

Just in the process of wiring some spotlights to the roof of my 740 should be fun.But everything ive done to mine is mostly cosmetic.

Emmisions will need sorting for the MOT but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.
James_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 22:07   #6
gnomonlove

I'm actually from the U.S. Supposedly they never sent any 780's to the U.K. they are a nice little car though. 2dr coupe. I have no idea what MOT means and emissions shouldn't be a problem cause the US doesn't really care too much about that stuff. we're idiots.

-Nick
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 00:56   #7
peteS40

Mate if you reckon it's gonna score you some serious brownie points with the new gf and her folks, then YES definitely buy it!!!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:46   #8
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

A bit of background for you Nick. The 780s were only made as left hand drive cars. They were either coupe or convertible bodied. There were three engine options. V6 B280E or F (PRV), B230FT (turbo-intercooler) and (in Italian market only) D24 TIC (127bhp standard). I have two or three examples on the UK register and a Dutch gentleman who is often in the UK, either visiting friends or touring or attending a BKV (Best Kept Volvo) event. I would dearly love to get hold of a D24TIC engined version and convert it to right hand drive. They were all assembled in the Bertone factory in Italy like the 262 Bertone models were. The Thor which I believe was a 242 turbo also used the chopped Bertone body. Ther is a website devoted to Bertone Volvos. Originally for the 262 cars the 780s were included when they became popular.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 14:49   #9
gnomonlove

Thanks for your help guys. I think it is a D24TIC and I say this only because the guy who owns the car is a collector of cars and only deals in rare cars. I'm buying it for about 2500 USD. How much would I get in the UK for it? I really can't wait to see it.

-Nick