Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil leak??

Views : 861

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 18:33   #1
Fightgear

Hi Guys
This might seem a stupid question or an unanswerable one.
Yesterday I was driving my 94 Wentworth when all of a sudden I heard an odd noise which sounded like something scraping along the ground. It varied with speed. When I stopped to look under the car I noticed that there was oil dripping (quite fast) from the anti-roll bar. Obviously, the oil is running down something to land on there. The noise I am pretty sure must have been the oil dripping onto the exhaust and sizzling. When I got back in the car it carried on with the same noise and then stopped. I watched the temprature gauge and oil pressure light like a hawk but no sign. After a mile or two, the noise stopped. When I next stopped, I looked under the car and at most it was a slow drip. I got back home having bought some new semi synth oil and some STP addative to stop leaks. The car is still leaking a bit from the same spot on the drive but seems okay although there is a smell of hot oil under the bonnet. When I looked, there seems to be oil over the cam cover but I could not see a leak from anywhere obvious.
Any ideas?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 00:37   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Might seem obvious but have you checked on the state of the PCV system? When clogged this results in oil coming from everywhere in particular a weak spot that has developed. Thoroughly clean and check the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system if your car is non-turbo there will be a filter in the "Y-piece", If a turbo car then no filter. A kit, which will also place the "Y-piece" above the manifold, is available from German, Swedish & French. When cleaned (do not forget the nipple on the top of the inlet manifold) thoroughly degunk the engine and check for signs of leakage developing.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Milnes For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:22   #3
Fightgear

Might sound stupid (lol) but what is the PCV system? Can you tell me more about this conversion thing you mention including contact details, costs etc. BTW.. mine is the turbo.
Thanks for you help though....much appreciated!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 21:45   #4
Fightgear

Well upon cleaning it up and then watching what happened when the car was reved it seems its not oil but water which is running out. It seems to be underneath the Fourth spark plug (nearest bulkhead) and then dripping on to the exhaust. I think its then running down the engine and dripping on to the anti-roll bar which is oily and that is why I thought it was oil. It was oily water (I think). Got some stuff which is supposed to cure any water leaks so will see what that does!!!! Its either that or a garage visit which I would imagine would be costly!!!!!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 20:48   #5
phil samuels

Just a thought.......

Your oil/water leak may be coming from one of the pipes that carry water to the heater which are located near the bulk head.

If you have had any coolant loss they are worth checking carefully as they are very stiff and tend to only show splits as the water warms up and softens the pipe.

If you haven't lost any coolant then disregard this note.

Phil