Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027597

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2020, 11:18   #1631
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The above should have said 'cars and bikes' and not 'bats and bikes' - although I have fixed a few cricket bats that was not my intention (I'm blaming this on the spelling checker).

:-(
Next thing to be fixed is your smellchecker then Alan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 13:01   #1632
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Next thing to be fixed is your smellchecker then Alan!
Ha, ha Dave. It was still my fault for not checking my work (if Dan did that in his homework I'd be disappointed).

Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 13:21   #1633
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ha, ha Dave. It was still my fault for not checking my work (if Dan did that in his homework I'd be disappointed).

Even with checking it's easily done to miss a typo Alan, even more easily done when the "typo" isn't of your own making!

I remember talking with a friend one day about Japanese Kei cars and Mazda and the older version of their 121 model which somehow just about managed to scrape into the Kei class.

We both knew it had been built under licence after Mazda finished their production run and sold as a different car but couldn't remember the name of it.

Later that day i remembered and sent him a WhatsApp with the name of the car. The WhatsApp simply read "Peroxide Nipples".

I had (meticulously) typed Perodua Nippy. So much for autocowwrecks! Or should that be autocorrect?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 06:25   #1634
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Even with checking it's easily done to miss a typo Alan, even more easily done when the "typo" isn't of your own making!

I remember talking with a friend one day about Japanese Kei cars and Mazda and the older version of their 121 model which somehow just about managed to scrape into the Kei class.

We both knew it had been built under licence after Mazda finished their production run and sold as a different car but couldn't remember the name of it.

Later that day i remembered and sent him a WhatsApp with the name of the car. The WhatsApp simply read "Peroxide Nipples".

I had (meticulously) typed Perodua Nippy. So much for autocowwrecks! Or should that be autocorrect?
Good story Dave - spell checkers can do some odd things.

Dan and I were away visiting my parents yesterday (a long way to go for a cuppa in the garden with them - but worth it anyway). If the weather is okay today I'll see if I can get that little welding job done on the RB.

Alan
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 11:05   #1635
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Good story Dave - spell checkers can do some odd things.

Dan and I were away visiting my parents yesterday (a long way to go for a cuppa in the garden with them - but worth it anyway). If the weather is okay today I'll see if I can get that little welding job done on the RB.

Alan
Given how windy it is out there today Alan, it might be an idea to swerve the welding!

Hope the visit was enjoyed by all concerned!

Old Aug 21st, 2020, 13:13   #1636
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Given how windy it is out there today Alan, it might be an idea to swerve the welding!

Hope the visit was enjoyed by all concerned!

Agreed Dave,

I'd got the car jacked up and the wheel off, checked the MIG welder and found it was out of wire (well, maybe a foot or so left on the reel - not enough to do anything) so the decision was made for me. It was a bit windy and just starting to rain, so I'll put that job off until next week.

I think my mum and dad appreciated the visit - it was a 250 mile round trip for a cuppa, but it really cheered them up that we had bothered - and Dan said it was all worth it for a couple of slices of his nanny's homemade fruitcake (I'm tempted to agree).

:-)
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 11:51   #1637
Othen
Premier Member

Default Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'm so angry with myself.

The Bloop has had a slow puncture in the rear wheel for a few months now, this morn I decided to fix it. The puncture turned out to be a little split around the base of the valve - so not repairable, but no problem thought I: there is a spare 17" tube in the garage.

I put the tube in carefully (I thought) but when I came to pump it up found I'd nicked it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! What a clumsy gorilla I've been.

No matter, they are only a fiver each and there will be a couple here with the postie on Friday. That will teach me to take more care.

Old Aug 26th, 2020, 12:00   #1638
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm so angry with myself.

The Bloop has had a slow puncture in the rear wheel for a few months now, this morn I decided to fix it. The puncture turned out to be a little split around the base of the valve - so not repairable, but no problem thought I: there is a spare 17" tube in the garage.

I put the tube in carefully (I thought) but when I came to pump it up found I'd nicked it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! What a clumsy gorilla I've been.

No matter, they are only a fiver each and there will be a couple here with the postie on Friday. That will teach me to take more care.

Very easily done Alan, even when being extremely careful. I always use a bit of talc on the tube to help it slip in past the tyre, doesn't always work but does minimise the risk.

That said, the chances are unless the tube in the garage was new, it could easily have developed its own leak so no matter how careful you were, it was destined to leak anyway. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt, even with split-rim alloy wheels! Also managed to pinch one of those too, god knows how!

Old Aug 26th, 2020, 12:09   #1639
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Very easily done Alan, even when being extremely careful. I always use a bit of talc on the tube to help it slip in past the tyre, doesn't always work but does minimise the risk.

That said, the chances are unless the tube in the garage was new, it could easily have developed its own leak so no matter how careful you were, it was destined to leak anyway. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt, even with split-rim alloy wheels! Also managed to pinch one of those too, god knows how!
Thanks Dave - but I'm still cross with myself.

The tube was new, still sealed up in the packet. I used squeezy liquid on the rim to slide the tyre over and talcum inside to slide the tube in - and I must have still nicked it somehow. I have just been clumsy - particularly with a skinny 17" bike tyre that would (almost) have gone on without a tyre lever.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I'm so cross with myself.

Alan
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 11:40   #1640
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

The inner tubes arrived and I'm pleased to say the Bloop is back on the road - I took my time and made sure not to pinch the tube this time... and the moral of this story is: more speed, less haste.

The Bloop started second kick, having been standing for a month or so. It always brings a smile to my face when the 44 year old 2 stroke runs so well :-)