Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

mustn't grumble...

Views : 692

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2009, 13:56   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Red face mustn't grumble...

Have you ever put off a job for so long that it gets much worse? Hmm me too

I bought a radiator for my 850R from Rufe a few weeks ago now - maybe even a month (!) as mine was seeping a bit from one of the side tanks. Initially it looked like the top hose wasn't sealing properly, but after much investigation it turned out to be the radiator itself. I was going to change it anyway, as my car is an auto, and the radiator has a habit of rusting from the inside, resulting in coolant in the gearbox. Not good

Anyway, the leak hasn't been too bad and I've been unable to do any serious work lately (I fell off a wall and got a concussion and bust rib - nothing to do with alcohol! ). So I still have to top up the reservoir every morning before setting off - as well as having to use a booster battery as I have an electrical drain somewhere! The car is so enjoyable to drive that all this I can forgive. And then this morning... I was a bit late for an appointment so I was tonking along a bit, which of course increases the pressure in the cooling system. You know where this is going... I hate the smell of steaming antifreeze!

I've now booked the car is to have the radiator swapped by my trusted mechanic. Would you believe he's only charging £40. Not bad considering the radiator also has a transmission fluid cooler and an engine oil cooler built in - so more work for him to replace the radiator itself. So as I said originally... mustn't grumble
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 14:19   #2
steve howes
Premier Member

i know what you mean ive got a knock from my front suspension that need's looking at but ive got a screwed knee at the moment just worried it will get worse looks like im going to have to pay someone to fix it for me grrrrrrrr
steve howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 16:17   #3
Alison_G

I've got the radiator to do on mine soon. It will need doing before winter sets in properly. Whats putting me off is all the hassle I had getting the old one out of the scrap car. Had to dismantle the whole front end in the end so I could drill and hammer through the brackets.....
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:05   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

May pay to soak the fixing bolts with releasing fluid for the week before you want to start the job.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/Radiator850turbo.php
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:41   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison_G View Post
I've got the radiator to do on mine soon. It will need doing before winter sets in properly. Whats putting me off is all the hassle I had getting the old one out of the scrap car. Had to dismantle the whole front end in the end so I could drill and hammer through the brackets.....
Exactly why I have been putting it off if I'm honest - I've read too many stories of bolts shearing or not shifting at all, plus it has to be removed from the underside. £40 is a bargain when you think about it. He's going to do the brake master cylinder while he's at it - thats been weeping every so slightly since I've had it, resulting in spongy brakes. So I've bought some goodrich hoses too... so what started out as a £140 job (new radiator was £100) has suddenly cost me £400 when you include parts!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote