Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 slow to turnover and start

Views : 10649

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 18:57   #1
MintyUFB

Default S60 D5 slow to turnover and start

Hi

looking for some advice before I go spending money.

My 05 Plate D5 with 100k miles is causing me some concern

When starting either cold or warm it is quite slow to turnover and hard to start.

Initially I thought maybe new Glow plugs but a friend suggested it might be the battery as someone else had a similar problem on another marque.

Searching this forum also suggests Injector failure or malfunction

So what do you think I should do - Buy a new battery and pray or bite the bullet and spend lots of money by putting into the local Garage for diagnosis and repair.
Car was supposed to have had a service when I bought it but it seems to have made no difference.

Many Thanks for your advice
MintyUFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 19:45   #2
fungus

Batteries can be tested, usually a free test at the tyre fitters (even halfords can test batteries), if it fails buy a new one from them- if they seem honest!
If its ok then dig deeper elsewhere (the tyre fitters can't suck you into other more expensive maintenance while you're there).

A starter for ten at least...sorry about then pun.
Past: V40 2.0T Sport Lux Auto 2003 171K
Past: 340DL
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 20:00   #3
Brendan W
Premier Member

Slow to turn over ? the first suspect is the battery followed by the earths/connections to and from followed by the starter motor and its relay/solenoid. Check them out in that order and you'll probably find your starting problem cured. Is it the original battery? Mine is on a 03 D5 101 thousand miles.
Defective glowplugs or injectors won't make the motor turn over slowly at start up - unless you deplete the battery trying to start it.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 22:00   #4
MintyUFB

Thanks for your replies I shall try the battery first
MintyUFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 22:52   #5
wynnj
Master Member

If you find your battery is OK, or the problem is still the same when tried with jump leads from another source, check your A/C compressor. You can do this by taking off the auxiliaries belt and see if it turns over any easier. My compressor had all but seized last year, but it took a bit of tracking down. The engine would just about turn over and even try to cough into life occasionally, but it never quite made it, even with professional jump leads from a breakdown truck. Turned out the friction in the compressor was too much for the engine to turn over fast enough. Once the belt was disconnected it started fine.
wynnj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 16:36   #6
keithC70

I have 3 x 110 ah batteries (off my boat for domestic supply) which weren't holding their charge so I took them to a battery supplier and asked him to check them for me.

He connected a super-dooper bit of kit that he'd just paid £1000 for and announced that they were fine. I knew they weren't!

I told him that I'd seen a test where a big load was put on the battery for a few seconds and he eventually reluctantly dug out the heavy duty old tester from the back of the garage. It whacks a huge load across - 80 amps or so just like a diesel car starting!

He tested each battery and, ............ "they're f*****d" he said!

You can't beat the simple old methods!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keithC70 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 11:10   #7
heyskull
Heyskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithC70 View Post
I have 3 x 110 ah batteries (off my boat for domestic supply) which weren't holding their charge so I took them to a battery supplier and asked him to check them for me.

He connected a super-dooper bit of kit that he'd just paid £1000 for and announced that they were fine. I knew they weren't!

I told him that I'd seen a test where a big load was put on the battery for a few seconds and he eventually reluctantly dug out the heavy duty old tester from the back of the garage. It whacks a huge load across - 80 amps or so just like a diesel car starting!

He tested each battery and, ............ "they're f*****d" he said!

You can't beat the simple old methods!
If you drop test leisure batteries (what these should of been for domestic supply) you ruin them.
Drop testing buckles the plates on a leisure battery only suitable for starter batteries which are made for heavy duty starting.

SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 19:11   #8
tobytotts

Allright minty,
i had the same problems with my v70, its an 02 plate and has allways taken a bit of time to turn over but lately its been getting harder and harder to start especially in the cold ,but for the last couple of weeks ive had to jump start it in the mornings off of my van.
I checked the battery ,that was ok.I chequed the plugs and they were ok,so the next step was checking the injectors.
I took it to county disels in leicester who did the check which cost £40 and 1 of the injectors was leaking,They changed it for me and now the car starts better than it ever has before, first turnover and its off and it runs smoother,
So id recomend getting your injectors tested before spending money on new stuff
tobytotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 11:57   #9
hmsggg

Smile

I had these issues with mine battery test came back OK but changed battery anyway and hasn't given me a problem starting for about 4 months now my battery was about 8 years old though.
hmsggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 14:54   #10
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question earth connection

if the car is slow to turn over when warm then it may be an earthing fault or a lazystarter when a car is warm the battery has been given a bit of a charge and the slow starting should not be evendient.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david philips For This Useful Post: