Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Comfort / V50 2.0d / D5

Views : 8327

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 00:49   #81
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

I love the firm R design ride, with the 17's and the sports seats its a great combination - but its not for everyone; take one for a long test drive - you'll get hooked!

V50 R design D
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:19   #82
Jon TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo View Post
I love the firm R design ride, with the 17's and the sports seats its a great combination - but its not for everyone; take one for a long test drive - you'll get hooked!

V50 R design D
I love the ride too - firm but pleasant. Very compliant.

I've owned various cars with "sports" suspension & Volvo's is in no way the worst.
The SEAT sports suspension is way too hard for my liking and prone to understeer if pushed hard.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:23   #83
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon TDI View Post
I love the ride too - firm but pleasant. Very compliant.

I've owned various cars with "sports" suspension & Volvo's is in no way the worst.
The SEAT sports suspension is way too hard for my liking and prone to understeer if pushed hard.
worst cars i've driven recently are the citroen C2 VTR and renault sport clio both like bucking broncos when driving normaly and hit any kind of bump . But these kind of cars are designed for doing 100 mph everywhere , when the ride becomes great ..
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 18:30   #84
DJmedV50

Default Is the V50 really a good comfortable car?

I have recently got rid of a 20 year old car and replaced it with a V50. The handling is very similar, if a little more cumbersome, the ride and comfort of the seats poor by comparison, the road noise is really abysmal, you bang your head if you are not careful getting into the drivers seat, the boot space is poor for the dimensions of the car and the rear door access much worse than any previous cars I have owned. Its 3 or 4 times as expensive to service and maintain and has already had dangerous failures and actually failed on the road so it was undrivable and had to go to the main agent - the first time this has happened to me in my own vehicle in 50 years of driving. The best thing is the performance, but that is at the cost of 18% more fuel consumption. Have we really moved forward? I would opt for a 20 year old car again if I could get one in brand new condition.
DJmedV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 18:38   #85
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJmedV50 View Post
I have recently got rid of a 20 year old car and replaced it with a V50. The handling is very similar, if a little more cumbersome, the ride and comfort of the seats poor by comparison, the road noise is really abysmal, you bang your head if you are not careful getting into the drivers seat, the boot space is poor for the dimensions of the car and the rear door access much worse than any previous cars I have owned. Its 3 or 4 times as expensive to service and maintain and has already had dangerous failures and actually failed on the road so it was undrivable and had to go to the main agent - the first time this has happened to me in my own vehicle in 50 years of driving. The best thing is the performance, but that is at the cost of 18% more fuel consumption. Have we really moved forward? I would opt for a 20 year old car again if I could get one in brand new condition.
Why did you buy it then? All you seem to be posting is SPAM about the same thing.

Last edited by Ninja59; Feb 12th, 2013 at 18:40.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 18:59   #86
Volvo6
Master Member

What was the car you replaced?

Things like seat comfort should be fairly obvious before you buy...

Also when buying a second hand one I would generally steer clear of the early ones. Electrical gremlins seem to be a lot worse.