Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MAFF Senser ?

Views : 507

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2019, 14:35   #1
stevepcar
Steve

Default MAFF Senser ?

Been working on trying to fix my project 850 T5 & then my everyday car 1995 850 10V B5252S 164,000 miles that has never let me down in 10 years & 45,000 miles refused to start. The engine turns over sweetly, I can smell fuel & there is a good spark to no 5 spark plug. I ran the codes & got 1:2:2, on the Fenix 5.2 system this means Intake air temperature sensor signal absent or faulty. Can this cause the car not to start? I have located it in the air intake cover & it is similar in appearance to a MAFF sensor, as fitted to the T5, only much smaller. Anybody any ideas?
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 14:44   #2
stevepcar
Steve

Default MAFF Sensor?

Ref this post can I clear the air temp intake sensor with MAFF cleaner?
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 16:37   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepcar View Post
Ref this post can I clear the air temp intake sensor with MAFF cleaner?
Yes , safe to clean an air intake temperature sensor , but it won't be dirty being fed with clean filtered air , even if it was caked with dirt it will still measure temperature , there may be a few seconds before the correct temperature soaks through though .
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 16:59   #4
stevepcar
Steve

Default Air Intake Temp Sensor

Thanks I will try cleaning it. I have tried to start it several times and it does fire a couple of times once I release the key. Does that ring a bell with anybody?
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 18:29   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks I will try cleaning it. I have tried to start it several times and it does fire a couple of times once I release the key. Does that ring a bell with anybody?
low fuel pressure ?
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 15:17   #6
stevepcar
Steve

Default 850 non-turbo 1995 Non-Starter

Well I cleaned the Air Intake Temp Sensor, ran a bench check to see if it was behaving as it should & it did, ie the resistance fell as I heated it up with a hair dryer. So put it back in car ran codes & got 1:1:1 so all ok . But car still would not start. So looked at distributor and rotor arm: all a bit worn, but serviceable so ordered new parts as a it needs them. Decided to swap coil from my 850 T5
while I was waiting for parts. It didn't make any difference, but the car did try to start once I had released the key. It ran on a few times & white smoke (smelled like exhaust) came out from the front of the engine near the intake manifold at the end furthest from the dist.
I have no idea what is causing smoke to belch from the front of the engine. It seems serious though. I ran codes and still nothing showing up.
The car is blocking my driveway at the moment so I could really do with some advice on what to look for. Hope someone can help.
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 15:55   #7
stevepcar
Steve

Default Non-starter

Further to this post, could the white smoke be coming from the PCV box? Would a clogged/ split one cause a non-start?
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 16:18   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Further to this post, could the white smoke be coming from the PCV box? Would a clogged/ split one cause a non-start?
No it wont affect starting , have you got spark at the plugs ?

I did once have a strange case like yours on an 850 many years ago , to cut a long story short it was the routing of the main battery cable from battery to starter past the throttle . It was causing a magnetic field interfering with the flywheel sensor signal . just moving the cable 2 inches to one side fixed it .
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 10:26   #9
stevepcar
Steve

Default Non-Starter

Yes I do have spark at the plugs and just in case it was not strong enough, I swapped the colis from my T5 & it still wouldn't fire up, although it did try & belched white exhaust smelling smoke from the front of the engine.
I am testing the fuel pump & relay today, in case I am not getting enough fuel.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 13:12   #10
stevepcar
Steve

Default Non-starter

Well are't I dumb. No problem with fuel system, but re-gapping the spark plugs & replacing the HT lead from the Coil to distributor & the old beast fired up. Just goes to show that I should've check the easy & obvious things first!!! Just cos' I got a spark doesn't mean it was adequate to start the car.
I do need to do the PCV system though, its already made the crankshaft oil seal leak, leaked oil under the spark plug cover & the glove fills up when held over the oil filler.